5.0 Update

I hate to a be a downer, because goodness knows this forum has enough negativity. However, I do feel like I am allowed to express genuine disappointment.

4.9 was bad enough; I’m not sure I can think of a game I’ve played which calls a slight shop revamp an “update.” As someone who doesn’t pay much real money in GoW, the 4.9 “update” affected me zero. It was literally just changing some things in the shop, which, while probably something that needed to be done, did not deserve the “update” title and should have been done in a minor patch. Why 4.9 took as long as it did is beyond me.

That being said, I’m not the target audience of 4.9. I get that. Maybe I’m just not appreciating how much they tweaked in the shop. 5.0 will be better, right? It’s a major update, after all.

5.0 has added dull daily tasks in addition to the dull daily tasks we already have, which were revamped not that long ago. Supposing the rewards in the free pass stay the same (I don’t expect them to change much from what we’ve seen), the new campaigns are literally not worth doing unless you’re desperate for a few extra stat points (high Delves and high bracket GW), as stated by @Zehnpai . The rewards previewed in the live stream for the free pass are laughable at best. Adding trivial rewards for things you could already do is hardly an update. So why is this considered a major update?

In my opinion, it’s because the meat of this update is in the money. 4.9 was about the money, and 5.0 is arguably more so about the money, giving f2p players next to nothing in a major update, while adding Mythics, pets, titles, portraits, Delve treasure, tokens, and more, plus additional stat buffs for paying players. This update is almost purely for monetization, adding no new features, just tiny rewards for doing old features, urging players to spend money for the juicy stuff.

I’m just disappointed is all. The Devs will not change anything, as 5.0 released today. It’s to their benefit to put minimal effort into updates while increasing monetization (as we’ve seen with the additions/tweaks regarding ads, the shop, and campaigns). I still love this game and will continue to play it. I’m just sad to see the direction it’s going, and I hope the Devs have better stuff up their sleeves for the future.

45 Likes