4.8 Update (Patch Notes)

The problem with Stormcaller and Phoenicia isn’t new. It was brought up immediately when Stormcaller came out. How can you possibly justify keeping Stormcaller’s Lightstorm trait when it nullifies the class’s Mythic? Name one other class where playing that class makes the mythic worse.

To use Phoenicia and get her double damage, you literally cannot play Stormcaller. How does that make any sense?

1 Like

Just wanted to +1 emphasize this. Not only is removing Heatwave a colossal nerf, it deletes the identity of the Sunspear class and takes away an entire class of teams, while giving us nothing new in return.

IF the reason behind this change was that certain Sunspear teams were too good, then I’d much rather see some other change to address this problem, rather than deleting Sunspear class as we know it and replacing it with a usable, but very different class.

17 Likes

If Stormcaller gets the perma-firestorm trait, I’ll call this a wash. Otherwise I will keep sharpening the tines of this here pitchfork, and also keep applying pitch to this here torch.

3 Likes

I must say…I have always supported this game and its updates, no matter what everyone else thought. But this? I’m slightly disappointed. This is what made Sunspear, Sunspear. I implore you, please reconsider this change, as it has already made so many people upset, myself included. I genuinely love this game and its fanbase, despite how toxic we all can be. I don’t want it to get any worse.

3 Likes

A major change to a (formerly) central hero class in the middle of Guild Wars.

Devs, for once in your lives, would you please think before you act?

6 Likes

The reasoning that was given for the Sunspear change is illogical.

Except it’s NOT. And this is why players wonder if those in charge really know their own game. And to make it match Corsair just feels like a bait-n-switch. Since it previously was just like another class: Stormcaller, just with a Red Storm.
And then, we hear that the 2nd trait, which IS exactly like a talent, is not going to be changed because it is “working as intended, you can just select another talent”. So, why could’nt that be the reasoning behind the original 3rd trait and just left alone?
Trying to cloak a nerf with weak reasoning & with zero prior notice is what makes players feel insulted.

24 Likes

This is exactly what happened. Well put.

Even if certain sunspear decks were too good, it’s not as if they were causing havoc and upset in pvp because players know that AI control of the team will be haphazard and largely ineffectual. This just makes the change even more bewildering esp when you consider that the duplicate abilities (2nd trait and lvl 5 perk) are untouched. Sunspear was always a bit risky with hero tanking but that was part of the fun, and it gave phoenicia her chance to be a bit more than an ornament. The company speak of new content and keeping things fresh. But it’s just words as this exhibits. Sunspear doesn’t just fade into obscurity on his own…there is significant collateral damage and he is taking other troops with him. Another aspect of variety gone. I just cannot see any reasoning here that would convince anybody that this was a good idea.

4 Likes

Tinfoil hat time…

I suspect Sunspear+Phoenicia teams were blowing through low-level content a bit faster than intended. That’s the only reason I can see for making this kind of radical nerf.

5 Likes

A reasonable deduction since a guild recently shattered the weekly trophy record & sunspear/phonecia combo surely had a large part to do with that.

3 Likes

that makes logical sense. I suppose we are too upset to be thinking about this. Any future repliees, make sure you take the time to think before you post something angry and upset. There’s a reason behind everything.

Of course there’s a reason for everything. The point is that the reason provided (“to be similar to Corsair”) is probably not the real reason. If it is…the reason is silly to a lot of us, including me.

This literally broke a major function of the class.

5 Likes

Still, be reasonable. Be outraged, sure, but be reasonable about it.

If I can correlate feedback on the new medal designs:

I strongly dislike it, especially the token designs which gets interacted with the most.

I have a hard time explaining it with words , so I’ll show it in screenshots.

Example 1:

In the old version, when you got a Nysha token, you knew you got a Nysha token. The design was unique and easy to distinguish. In the new design, the Nysha token blends in with the Yasmine and Gaard in my example and it almost appears that the New! Yasmine token was actually the most important thing gained from that Boss Chest.

Example 2:

In the old picture, Cedric’s color scheme fit well into its relative rarity. Anu wasn’t overshadowed.

In the new design, while not the best example I can get, the Orpheus shiny Golden look really tries to take attention on this loot drop, even more than the New! Aranaea and New! Gaard token.

10 Likes

I’m at work at the moment so I can’t participate in this discussion to the extent that I would like but I feel this needs to be brought up: Gems of War GUI Pain Points

When I think about detailing my thought’s on why this Sunspear change is bad, I remember the amount of work Starlite put into describing the egregious explore UI and how nothing was changed because it was overwhelming and didn’t adequately highlight the most valuable key issues that needed working on.

There are so many parts of the Explore UI that are bad and need working on just as there are so many parts of the class system that are bad and need working on. You can’t “fix” Sunspear’s redundant traits/talents without addressing the rest of the class system. Both of these are examples of systemic problems that can’t be adequately addressed with the dev’s desired “quick actionable feedback”.

TLDR: Sunspear change is bad, I hate it.

4 Likes

It would have been nice if you guys would have worked on upgrading the Knight, Warrior, Sorcerer, Warden and necromancer classes. There are literally so many unplayable classes to upgrade and enhanced than actually making a playable class mediocre.

3 Likes

I just checked the total renown from any faction, and the achievement got recognized. Just need to trigger it, I guess.

1 Like

It is a legendary trait when on legendaries and a mythic trait on mythics… maybe call it a class trait??

1 Like

You keep saying “more in line with corsair…” in relation to giving it a plus 2 mana trait… why does it have to be “in line” to begin with? It is in no way related to corsair… but more related to troops like umberwolf, with a perpetual storm… you have ruined this by removing it…

8 Likes

Uh… those teams were using phoenica in the first couple turns, so this change doesn’t do anything, because they can still use firestorm talent. removing the trait actually makes those teams even faster because now they get firestorm and bonus Mana.

2 Likes