4.8 Update (Patch Notes)

That’s a good point. The third trait was similar, but different enough to make the class viable.
The second trait is word for word the exact same as the talent. (Fireproof: Immunity to Burning and Faerie Fire)
Why ignore that one and change the one trait that could really kill the class?
The new 3rd trait could have replaced the second trait instead without destroying what we love.
(Yes, I am upset. I am mourning one of my previously favorite classes.)

3 Likes

I feel really bad for Kafka. No idea how she’s the only one on the team that has to deal with this backlash. Where is her help?

18 Likes

The rest of the team is busy nerfing Stormcaller

12 Likes

Also, while we are on the subject, please don’t change Stormcaller’s third trait in favor of giving it +2 mana on yellow gem matches. We have Priest to stack yellow links already, and theres some setups that only work with the permanent storm.

I see a lot of anger and outage flying around, and its somewhat understandable for those that spent all that effort (and/or gems) leveling a class only to have the rug pulled out from under you and main reason you spent all that time (something like 40+ hours of grinding easily) is now gone. But I think the cause is better served by explaining why you dislike the change and rather just “this is bad, I hate it”.

It does still rub me the wrong way that this was treated as a pressing change (the only class changed in the patch) when other class trait changes were teased like six months ago. Thats irritating, but its not why the trait should be restored.

To reiterate, Sunspear’s class identity is (was) the permanent firestorm. Some setups only work because of this class identity. +2 red mana isn’t useless, but it removes a unique interaction from the game entirely in favor of something far less interesting team building wise. There are other class traits, and entire class kits (including some newer ones), that need reworks desperately to reach viability for any mode other than just farming with a team that works with any class. Please consider restoring Sunspear’s original trait.

33 Likes

Your edit removed the context of my comment. :roll_eyes:
(And it didn’t even show edit for yours.)

@TheIdleOne Salty is compiling everyone’s feedback, I’m answering between my other tasks, it’s part of my job to relay information between the community and the team and back again so the programmers can focus on programming, I’m all good :slight_smile: I know this isn’t all directed personally at me, you’re all talking about the changes, you’re passionate about the game.

@awryan all part of my plan haha (I told the team what you did, you got a lol out of me) xD

3 Likes

You’re right. Those responsible for the coding of the update should ideally make an appearance upon release in order to answer questions with transparency. Expecting salty and kafka to play devils advocate is unfair especially if the sunspear change is indeed a genuine mistake. Sadly if that is the case, I fear they will remain hiding behind the curtains rather than own up, amend the change to what it should have been and hitherto earn our respect. They would rather let the girls take the flak.

1 Like

Well Customer service is her job… But basically the devs don’t like to be yelled at for the most part. So they avoid the forums. Or at the very least…avoid any possible banter and just read the angst.

I think this Sunspear thing is being blown out of proportion because there’s so many classes/weapons that NEED an actual change…

…So that when a minor issue (that seems to be not even an issue for folks now) gets addressed instead of more necessary ones.

It basically comes off as disrespect to the players. And when folks feel disrespected they lash out.

(I had a second wind so now thought is actually being made about the changes. :wink:)

3 Likes

We’re not mad at Kafka, it isn’t personal. We’re upset at the change, which wasn’t her choice or decision. I’m sure she understands.
A “middle man” is always better when emotions are involved. The actual dev making an appearance would only prod the flames and cause drama to worsen and continue.

20 Likes

@Thevc it’s really nice you’re thinking of me and Salty <3 but this is literally our job, it’s what we’re paid to do, we signed up knowing this and honestly, I think Salty has the most difficult job on the team, but we love what we do or we wouldn’t do it. It’s definitely not always fun or easy, but it’s WORTH IT. We’re gamers too and know how important it is to have good communication between the team and the community and how much we want that in all the games we play. We’re passionate about what we do :slight_smile:

Once a game has gotten as big as Gems of War it’s good to be able to have team members who are dedicated to communication so the other team members can focus on what they’re best at.

LOL @Tacet whelp, memes aren’t meant to go onto the report but… I think we’re making an exception.

3 Likes

On the plus side, that always allowed your hero to be immune to frozen AND burning/faerie fire. So at least that one trait doesn’t invalidate the entire talent row… unlike these classes at level 5, where if you’re not using the specific weapons, you have no talent to take that benefits you:

• Archer with Dagger, Bow, or Missile
  • Dervish with Dagger, Mace, or Missile
  • Mechanist with Shield, Tome, or Missile
  • Sentinel with Shield, Jewellery, or Hammer
  • Warden with Dagger, Shield, or Bow

13 weapon types in the game have a talent (with Sword being the only type that doesn’t), which means for every class listed above, if you’re using any of the other 11 weapon types, you have NO talent that you can select at level 5 that will help you.

Now in a couple scenarios there, you can still get a magic bonus from previous talents (staff and scythe are level 1 talents, axe and polearm are level 10, and artifact is level 40).

The Sunspear Dog actually will be fine! Now that his permanent Firestorm is gone, the fire around him will go away in a few turns.

4 Likes

A few is being generous! Usually first turn, when the opponent can create them too.

1 Like

I just dont get it yall… no rage or hate but there are multiple (many) classes and weapons that are absurdly useless and you tinker w a class everyone uses specifically in gws during gws…???

Huh?

2 Likes

That would HELP the class. You literally cannot use the class’s mythic, Phoenicia, with it, because you need to have a separate troop overwrite the lightstorm and create a firestorm AND get an extra move afterward so you can cast Phoenicia with double damage. Let’s see…

• Garuda summons a Firestorm, but then your turn ends, and it’s a lightstorm again when your next turn begins.

And… that’s it. Yes, that is the only Stryx that can summon a Firestorm. Oh wait, Stormsinger can transform a random color to blue and… drum roll… summon a RANDOM storm. There we go. But uh, neither Stormsinger nor Phoenicia even use Blue mana, so you won’t be casting Stormsinger or Phoenicia afterward.

Seriously, Sunspear was FINE, it was Stormcaller that was awful.

1 Like

Im not even gonna get started on useless talents lol. Half the classes have a useless 100 talent as it stands for like 99% of teams.

Ironic that Sunspears former trait helps with the 505 gem destroying achievement? A friend in another guild went 3/2 today in GW vs 5 yao teams. Any guesses on what class they used in their defense??? Lame trait change but just like all the other stuff they’ve changed: gems in LTs, higher gold cost for LTs, explode mana nerf, casual pvp. I know I’m missing a lot more, we either adapt or find something else to play.

Yeah, because changing a class’s entire usefulness is the preferred method here? Didn’t we just establish that people had built teams around Sunspears third trait? It’s the same with Stormcaller. There are some great teams built around that too.
The more cemented this change is feeling, the more dead I feel inside. I can’t even keep my game open today, I am too sad.

Time wasted is never fun. Spending hours working towards a goal, only to have that goals possibility removed from under you is not encouraging me to spend any more time working towards anything there right now.

6 Likes

An update just pushed through & “I have many Leather Bound Books” did activate for me, as I had more than enough for the achievement. I did not have to play a delve or even access the Underworld either, so thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like