The devs said “tons of people were commenting about Sunspear so we changed it” – okay, what about the people commenting on Life and Death?
There is absolutely no reason for a weapon to be this powerful.
- It deals true damage to two enemies – this is something that can’t be avoided by submerge, the targets aren’t random, and they are the same targets that get death marked, so for instance, if you were to put Queen Aurora on your team for a Divine team, well, Queen is great because she’s immune to Death Mark, and she can barrier and heal everyone… except herself. So you can’t put her in the back, because sure she’s immune to the death mark, but not the life steal.
- It heals you for all the damage dealt – Especially now with magic ramping up, it’s not uncommon for Life and Death to be dealing 100 combined damage and healing for the same amount. That is absurd. Who else does something like this? Suna does. She steals life from the two weakest enemies. She doesn’t death mark them. She doesn’t gain enchant. She doesn’t bless herself, and she costs 20 mana.
- It death marks both targets This one implores you to find troops that are immune to death mark, so you aren’t randomly losing TWO troops from turn to turn, meanwhile if the death mark isn’t killing them, the life drain is
- It blesses you (cleansing you and then making you impervious) this removes any negative effects like stun (one of the most important because it removes Orbweaver benefits like Stealthy and summoning spiders), and then cleanses you, which only gets removed from Dispel or attacking with skulls (or using the ability again, which just blesses you again)
- It enchants you (free 2 mana every turn, woohoo!) – one of the most annoying parts of fighting against you. You might think “I’ll just match all the purple and brown myself.” Nope. It’s still gaining mana. And because the mana cost is so ridiculously low at 15, and mana surges have such high chances (I’m at 65% for Purple), it’s usually one or two 3 matches, which would normally only be 3-6 mana, for it to be cast again, thanks to enchant pumping it with free mana turn after turn
- It drains mana from the first target, forcing you to collect mana again to cast, which basically just sets you a turn back every time L&D casts.
These same issues have been raised since the weapon came out, and the only thing that was done was a nerf to Orbweaver’s spider summoning chance, which didn’t even make a difference, because 50% to 35% means nothing when it triggers off any damage it takes.
It also doesn’t help that the teams running Life and Death start it at 50% mana and use empowered troops to fill it on the first turn.
You know what the most telling part is? When someone like Salty fights players on her stream, she actually avoids Life and Death teams and has said so on stream that she won’t fight them – possibly because they are just going to win, or they’re so common.