4.3 Update (Patch Notes)

What a troll move by Apple to keep the “2 days” ago release date. :joy:

8 Likes

I know, right?!

1 Like

Does anyone that accused the Devs of lying about the apple update feel like apologising or admitting they were wrong?

19 Likes

Thanks for the Zuul’Goth rework, looking forward to craft him this week!

2 Likes

I will admit I was wrong. I’m not apologizing. You apologize for things if you’re sorry.

The devs lied about a fairly important change to a troop so players would stop complaining about it. They renamed a thread to end the discussion, and made sure to assure us it was fixed in 4.3. It’s not even in the patch notes.

Without that, I’d have been more inclined to believe, “Sorry guys, this is Apple’s fault.” But the thing about trust is once it’s lost, it has to be earned again. This is worse than the release delay and there has been zero discussion or acknowledgement of this screwup. They owe all of us an apology for that. It shouldn’t be true that a dev can be so misinformed they announce a fix that doesn’t exist to players.

So long as there’s no apology for that, I assume they feel as little remorse as I do for explaining that I no longer trust them and believe what I felt like and still feel like was a more plausible explanation, given just how many problems this delayed update had.

The only thing that’s changed today is now that I have the update, I’m playing the game a little more, which means I’m distracted from writing as many forum posts. I’ll be happy with the game again in a while, but I’m not going to get over this update for much longer.

1 Like

Lmao! You are like an open book! Such a predictable response.

I will believe this when I see it, but if true all will rejoice!

1 Like

Slyp, don’t even bother, it’s off-topic and a personal attack (the above post).

2 Likes

Hanlon’s Razor: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Stupidity feels a bit strong in this case, it’s probably just a communication hiccup with whichever China Sweatshop is maintaining the coding. The messenger posting here got the information it would be fixed with 4.3 and forwarded it to the community in a timely manner, so it feels a bit unfair to start shooting into that direction. An update on the situation would be welcome though, possibly prior to waiting for a week for bullets to settle down.

This hurts my feelings more. No one’s even explaining.

On our end, what matters is if we can trust a dev’s word to be true. One of the best quotes I have on this goes something like:

There are some people who are always right. These are the people who have learned to say, “I don’t know, but I’ll find out.”

A false statement is false regardless of intent. People who make false statements aren’t trustworthy. I don’t believe this is the first time a dev has announced a fix, only to find out the fix didn’t actually happen later. The difference this time is I feel like every other time the dev showed up at the last minute to say, “Sorry, I was mistaken, this isn’t going to make it in time.” That stinks, but at least it corrects the statement to a truth.

If their process is so messed up the public-facing devs can’t trust information about what is and isn’t going into a patch, it’s hard to believe this game’s made it this many (relatively) successful releases.

How did nobody, from the dev who confirmed the fix to the beta testers that are community pillars, not notice that a publicly-confirmed fix isn’t part of the patch? I’m remembering a Salty brag that this patch was going to have one of the longest beta periods so far. How did a beta tester not see a front-page thread with (Fixed in 4.3) and not ask a question about why they weren’t instructed to test it?

These are not questions meant to imply I think the beta testers are bad. They’re all process questions. If “confirming a fix” doesn’t involve “verifying patch notes” and “alerting beta testers”, this is going to happen over and over again. And it’s going to look like a cover-up lie every time. And it’s going to look worse with each repetition.

Not everything is included in the beta test. Balance changes are one such item. There is probably a discussion to be had about whether beta testers should be testing this stuff, but AFAIK nobody with that badge got to play with TINA’s “new” targeting system prior to 4.3 dropping.

2 Likes

Eight hrs. ago in global chat Nimhain said they pushed out a fix for Tina, but it’s still not working properly imo. There’s been numerous times since that it’s targeted the same troop with each cast.

Adding to @Grundulum 's post, when beta happens, the devs take a single snapshot of our Live accounts at a specific point in time (usually at the point where the 1st playable beta update is available), which becomes our beta account for the entire length of beta.

For thile 4.3 beta, that snapshot occurred before TINA was released. Therefore, no beta tester had access to that unit.

As Grund said, we test a vertical slice of the update, which never includes balancing changes. Nor are we told what are the other planned components of a given update outside of the vertical slice we are testing.

4 Likes

Targeting the same troop isn’t necessarily a problem. If only two troops are available, one out of four casts should target the same troop three times. The problem I was noticing—but never got interested enough to track—was that TINA seemed to skew towards repeated targets more often than probability suggested. Maybe it was all in my head. Or maybe I need to do some quick testing before the fix finally arrives.

1 Like

Hmm. Thanks for the insight, @Grundulum and @Lyrian. I was making assumptions based off of “How I would run a beta” and “how betas in which I’ve participated have worked” and this is a little different.

I think the main distinction that wasn’t clicking with me is it sounds like GoW beta tests are strictly for the major features, so you were probably instructed to focus on honor and chat.

I agree a discussion ought to be had considering the overwhelming frequency of this cycle:

1. A troop is released that does not behave as designed.
  2. A fix is made that does not behave as designed.

But I’m going to bog down this thread going too much deeper and I think it’d be more effective if that were a discussion between the beta testers and their liaisons rather than an outsider like me.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

I remember one time specifically it hit the same troop three times when there were three troops remaining. This was about 30 minutes after she posted about the fix. Perhaps it hadn’t taken effect yet, I just don’t know.

Not since I joined this guild nearly a year ago.
The only thing that has changed is the game version.

THIS! I thought I was seeing my personal all time trophy count at first. Why in the world do I want to see my guilds total when I can see it on the other screen?

3 Likes

Just my opinion but this was an exceptionally poor update. The fact that rewards can be gotten from being awarded honor makes it a very biased and useless system. I really don’t use the chat function at all so all the social update things are useless too.

The only useful thing in the update appears to be that glory purchases in the shop can now be done in bulk, which saves a lot of tedious clicking… :+1:

4 Likes

Most updates are. Wish we could focus on game fixes and not horrible visuals.

1 Like

A problem with most updates is like, we can imagine the game as having maybe 5 or 6 major features. (Don’t ask me to really quantify that.) Everybody has that one part of the game that is their favorite. Everybody also has one part of the game that they care the least about.

Not all players overlap. Any update that “improves” one feature won’t make everyone happy because:

• Some people can’t be happy if the feature changes. They liked it the way it was.
  • Some people will have wanted a different change.
  • Some people don’t care about the feature and wish something else had changed.

I knew coming into this feature I wouldn’t be happy because they announced it was a big chat update. I’ve always argued chat shouldn’t be in the game, it should push us to Discord or somewhere else that’s truly cross-platform. Heck, guilds could have sub-forums in my grandest dreams. But alas.

That puts me squarely in the “I didn’t ask for 90% of this” camp and I’ve tried to suppress complaints from that direction. I wanted troops like TINA to be fixed. I wanted less things like “whoops we only give you one orb instead of two”. I wanted more interesting mechanics for troops. I wanted a way to get old event weapons reliably. I wanted to be surprised by things I didn’t know I wanted.

I didn’t want to give up any of those things so I could have a chat profile picture. Last night when I logged in to set it was the first time I’ve been in global chat in 2019. I was at least mildly amused to pair “Pony Lover” with the portrait I found to look the most like a creepy lech. It was a toss-up between that and “plays well with udders”. So I can’t say I derived no joy.

But I’m more interested in 4.3.5, and whether it addresses any of the new things 4.3 broke, or if it addresses any of the things 4.2.5 broke but weren’t as important as being able to use :eggplant: :selfie: in chat, or if it addresses any of the things 4.2 broke but weren’t important enough to address in 4.2.5 and still didn’t make the cut in 4.3…

Anyway, yeah. The game’s kind of set up so every update will upset more people than please. That sucks for the devs.

2 Likes