[4.3.5] Mythic Tier List Updated for Obsidius

Gems of War Mythic Tier List (on Steam)

After several months of work (and procrastination), here’s my Christmas present to the community! An 18,000 word, up-to-date, comprehensive Mythic troop tier list, placing them into several tiers based on overall viability along with detailed breakdowns and curated teams, available now as a Steam Guide! Please check it out and provide feedback.

Here is a useful graphic that summaries the tier list:

EDIT (February 24, 2019): I’ve made a sweeping update to my Mythic Tier List! I’ve created a new graphic, as well as ensured that all my Spell and Trait descriptions describe in simple terms what they do before going in-depth into them. For example, Megavore started off with me raving about how much Damage it does instead of describing what it does first. Every Troop got at least minor rewrites, and several Troops got major rewrites and tier shifts. Additionally, all Troops now have curated teams, with several having reworked or updated teams! You can find more details below:

Change Log 1.1

Structural Changes

• Added a new tier list graphic. Check it out, and share it with your friends!
  • The Trait-Spell Scale has been renamed to simply the Trait Scale.

New Troops

• Added Phoenicia (B-Tier)
  • Added Tian Yi (C-Tier)

Tier Shifts

• The Possessed King is now A-Tier (up from B-Tier).
  • Abynissia is now C-Tier (down from B-Tier).
  • Draakulis is now C-Tier (down from B-Tier).
  • Fallen Valdis is now C-Tier (down from B-Tier).

Curated Teams
A-TIER

• Added a second curated team for High King Irongut
    B-TIER
  • Added curated team for Abynissia
  • Added curated team for Champion of Anu
  • Added curated team for Phoenicia
  • Added curated team for Skadi
  • Added curated team for Tian Yi
  • Added curated team for Voice of Orpheus
    C-TIER
  • Replaced curated team for Death (thanks NecroDancer!)
  • Updated curated team for Draakulis
  • Added curated team for Euryali
  • Added curated team for Stonehammer
  • Added curated team for War
  • Added curated team for Zuul’Goth

Breakdown Rewrites
S-TIER

• Made some minor wording changes to Infernus’ breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Ketras’ breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made several changes to Megavore’s breakdown, and made the spell description significantly clearer. (Thanks NecroDancer!)
    A-TIER
  • Re-wrote Arachnaean Weaver’s breakdown after further evaluation.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Elemaugrim’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Famine’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Re-wrote High King Irongut’s breakdown after further evaluation.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Pharos Ra’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Re-wrote Queen Aurora’s breakdown after further evaluation.
  • Re-wrote Scorpius’ breakdown after further evaluation.
  • Re-wrote The Possessed King’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Re-wrote The Worldbreaker’s breakdown after further evaluation.
  • Made several changes to Ubastet’s breakdown, and made the spell description significantly clearer. (Thanks NecroDancer!)
    B-TIER
  • Made some minor wording changes to Champion of Anu’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Doomclaw’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Gard’s Avatar’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Jotnar Stormshield’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Skadi’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Suna’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Undine’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Voice of Orpheus’ breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Yasmine’s Chosen’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
    C-TIER
  • Re-wrote Abynissia’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Death’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Re-wrote Draakulis’ breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Euryali’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Re-wrote Fallen Valdis’ breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Plague’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Stonehammer’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to The Wild Queen’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Made some minor wording changes to War’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
  • Fixed up Wulfgarok’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost. Seriously I think I left this part incomplete or something.
  • Fixed up Xathenos’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost. Jeez, I think I left this incomplete too.
  • Made some minor wording changes to Zuul’Goth’s breakdown, and included the Mana cost.
    F-TIER
  • Updated some wording in Gargantaur’s breakdown, fixed its name’s spelling, and fixed the description of its trait.

EDIT (May 23, 2019): Sorry for the delay! I put a bunch of effort into this update, and I hope it was worth it for you guys. Although this isn’t a massive list-wide rewrite, there have been a lot of tier shifts, including in that tantilizing S-Tier. Check out the changes for yourself:

Change Log 1.2

Structural Changes

• Added a new section discussing what order Mythics should be crafted in, and what your priorities are, and advising you to experiment with the troops you have.

Tier List Image

• Added the new mythics, and shifted tiers of existing troops. More details on these changes are described below.
  • Yasmine’s Chosen, who was previously omitted from the image, has been added to the proper place in the list.

New Troops

• Added TINA-9000 (S-Tier). Back when this was about to come out, my thought was “This is B-Tier, maybe A-Tier if we’re lucky.” How wrong I was, this is the awe-inspiring Mech Mythic we all dreamed of! Incredible damage potential with great self-protection, TINA can sweep a team if you can cast it.
  • Added Queen of Sin (C-Tier). Its spell is mediocre, its trait is awful, what more can I say?
  • Added Obsidius (A-Tier). Although Obsidius’ spell has great mana generation and it has an amazing and useful trait, its damage does not compare with Infernus, and this relegates Obsidius to a more supportive role.

Tier Shifts

• High King Irongut is now S-Tier (up from A-Tier). Its sheer power in Delves and the Tower of Doom make it incredibly useful, and I’ve also had good success in PvP by relying on looping rather than attack boosting. After noticing that I was using this troop incredibly frequently, I decided to re-evaluate its place in the Tier List.
  • Pharos-Ra is now S-Tier (up from A-Tier). Although it isn’t super-powerful in PvP (despite great damage, it requires good luck with alignment and mana to be useful), it is quite great, if only for the extra Souls it provides. With Souls being an essential and sparce resource for both new players and mid-game players, Pharos-Ra is often the second or even first Mythic I recommend players craft (depending on whether the player currently has a viable team for PvP). Keeping the necessity of this troop in mind, I have decided to re-evaluate its place in the tier list.
  • Megavore is now A-Tier (down from S-Tier). Although its damage is great, its utility is poor, it has no mana generation or extra turns, and it needs another troop to help clean up after it casts (because killing the 3 remaining troops with a 24 mana spell is a waste of mana and a waste of time). Overall, it’s not useful enough in recent months to merit the spot it has held in S-Tier.
  • Stonehammer is now B-Tier (up from C-Tier). The 4.3.0 buff was a major boost; although the mana generation isn’t always consistent, and can sometimes give your opponent a 4 or more Gem match, it is much more consistent now than it was previously, and it’s certainly more useful than any of the C-Tier Mythics now.
  • The Wild Queen is now B-Tier (up from C-Tier). The 4.2.5 Pan’s Vale rework was also major boost; The Wild Queen has been moved up the list for the same reasons as Stormhammer was, with increased consistency.
  • Zuul’Goth is now B-Tier (up from C-Tier). The 4.2.5 one-shot spell change has made it more useful to center a team around than previously.

Breakdown Rewrites
GENERAL

• Ensured all troop descriptions refer to the spell’s mana cost.
  • Instances of “4 or 5 Gem matches” changed to the new “4 or more Gem matches” wording.
    S-TIER
  • Rewrote High King Irongut’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Rewrote Pharos-Ra’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
    A-TIER
  • Rewrote Megavore’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
    B-TIER
  • Rewrote Stonehammer’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Rewrote The Wild Queen’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
  • Rewrote Zuul’Goth’s breakdown to reflect its tier change.
    C-TIER
  • Revised breakdown for Fallen Valdis (the trait isn’t a good source of Disease anymore).
  • Revised breakdown for Tian Yi (the Stun is worse than Obsidius’).
  • Rewrote breakdown for Wulfgarok after the buff. After evaluation, it sadly has not changed tiers.

Curated Teams
S-TIER

• Added curated team for TINA-9000
    A-TIER
  • Added curated team for Obsidius
    B-TIER
  • Replaced curated team for The Wild Queen
    C-TIER
  • Added curated team for Queen of Sin
  • Replaced curated team for Wulfgarok

Again, if you feel there are any problems with this guide, or you have any questions about my evaluations, or you think my teams are terrible, feel free to comment here on the Forums, or on the guide itself.

26 Likes

What a fantastically useful resource!

Thank you :+1:

The useless one is Gargantaur (not Gargantuar).

Yes, a very useful resource. Thanks!

Gargantaur

Its unique trait allows you to boost its damage output whenever it takes damage to its Life ( NOT ITS ARMOR ), but that requires it to be on the front lines AND have no Armor, where it is liable to simply die, losing all of its benefits.

Its worth noting the trait activates on armor hits as well since it was changed during the update that changed all of the Orc traits.

2 Likes

This a very nice presentation that must have taken you considerable time. It is a very useful resource that will help players of all levels. Thank you for sharing this with the community. Great job!

1 Like

Pretty comprehensive (and long) read, I’d say I agree with just about everything in there …

1 Like

That’s a well-done guide. It will be great to show to new players that are struggling with what mythics to spend diamonds on in the forge.

Wow the guide is amazing. Thank you for taking the time, effort, and energy to make this guide up. It’s really informative and I had a fun time reading it and learning new things about the mythics. I have it book marked and you can bet I will be constantly referring to it. Thank you so much again.

Awesome list

Will there be an update for Phoenicia?

@EliteMasterEric

I just got high king irongut and read on your write up for him that you have a team with the titan class hero. Is there a reason you chose specifically titan? I ask because I’m looking at the hero’s trait as a titan and it doesn’t seem like it would benefit the team that much as two out of the three traits require you to have giants on the team for the team to reap the benefits. Thanks for any help.

I feel like he’ll back me up in this analysis:

Titan is the best general-purpose class in the game. Here’s what you get:

• The hero is a Giant so it starts with 50% mana.
  • Stun opponents if they do skull damage to the hero.
  • Start battles with a Duststorm active.
  • Barrier on Brown matches.
  • Explode a random yellow gem on 4/5 matches.
  • Immunity to: Stun, Poison, Disease, Death Mark, Devour.

If, instead, you take the Thief class to try and get Goblin synergy, what you get is:

• 50% mana start.
  • Deal 7 damage to the last enemy on 4/5 matches.
  • Hunter’s mark a random enemy on 4/5 matches.
  • Summon Bandits when an ally dies.
  • Cannot be targeted by Spells.
  • 30% chance to dodge skull damage.
  • 7% chance to instakill a not-immune last enemy when another enemy dies.

The thing is, Titan is more on-plan for Irongut. You want to boost his attack so his Devour rate is as high as possible. That means Earth’s Fury, a Red/Brown weapon. Both classes have a 50% start, but Titan can lead with a Duststorm. And if your first move is a 4/5 match of any color, you get an explosion. That’s likely to cause a brown match with a Duststorm active, and that’s how you cast Earth’s Fury on turn 1. This is a very aggressive plan. Overall Titan gets and generates a lot of mana via Lightning Strike.

Compare that to Thief, which is more focused on longevity and incidental damage. A good Thief team wants to generate tons of 4/5 matches and milk the Sneak Attack trait combined with Rising Shadows. The combination of Stealthy, Dodge, and Backup help contribute to the long game. But none of those things make Irongut more effective or easier to boost. The stat bonuses for having an all-Goblin team are negligible.

Thief 100 with Irongut will still be an effective team, but Titan is able to easily threaten a turn 1 Attack boost plus the ability to recast very quickly. Thief is more about making the battle last so long repeated casts are likely. In my opinion, the faster you win the less often your opponents will win, so Titan wins because it doesn’t want a long game.

1 Like

@Slypenslyde

hey thank you so much for that write up. It’s a lot of stuff and the truth is I didn’t know enough of the game to understand the reasoning behind the choice of Titan over something else. I did learn a lot from what you wrote and I really appreciate your explanation.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this! We noticed it the moment it came out and it was the talk of the office. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

How much does it agree with your own internal rankings?

I’m glad this thread got bumped, because I missed it the first time.

The guide is very good with very few disagreements from me on tier order.

@EliteMasterEric, your questions regarding Queen Aurora’s lore can be found here. :wink:

1 Like

Pretty good list but I have to disagree with Arachnaean Weaver. I would call her the second best mythic in the entire game only after Infernus. She has a decent amount of true damage and it gets pretty high with bard class, she webs everyone making most troops basically useless and if she kills she explodes the board usually filling herself again.She also has a great set of traits with stealthy being unable to target her and impervious. Her third trait is amazing having probably the best summon in the game being able to do triple skull damage on the first skull hit to anything not immune to web. I have won quite a few battles with only her vs a full team.

A couple I disagree with

Ketras is amazing when paired with Divinia but low levels that don’t have all kingdoms to level 10 he probably won’t do much damage and as soon as he gets damaged he loses a lot of his damage output.

Megavore is pretty great but not as good as Arachnaean Weaver IMO. His first cast is great for stripping armor but after that he is just a really expensive single target damage dealer.

Skadi I think is too low. She does decent damage, summons a really good troop (Sucks that Mab blocks her), rearranges teams, freezes and has a constant storm going. I would put her in A teir.

Queen Aurora is pretty average. Her third trait is nice but her spell backfires far too often and when it does you’ll probably lose the game. I tried her last GW against divines I casted her on red the colour I needed and the colour the board had most of and she gave the ai so much mana it casted Infernus and Ubastet and Infernus again and I lost. I tried again with Arachnaean Weaver instead and destroyed that team 3 times.

I’ve made a sweeping update to my Mythic Tier List! I’ve created a new graphic, as well as ensured that all my Spell and Trait descriptions describe in simple terms what they do before going in-depth into them. For example, Megavore started off with me raving about how much Damage it does instead of describing what it does first. Every Troop got at least minor rewrites, and several Troops got major rewrites and tier shifts. Additionally, all Troops now have curated teams, with several having reworked or updated teams! You can find more details in the original post.

3 Likes

Hey @EliteMasterEric . I am wondering if I am missing something, but for me Ubastet is an S-tier Mythic as well. The potential of finish off one enemy troop then make sure to Lethal kill another is really powerful. I only wonder why you did not decide to make him into the S-tier rank?

Reading it over, you have: “I would recommend having one of either this, Skadi, or Undine when trying to do well with 4x Blue teams.” under both Skadi and Undine, which doesn’t really makes much sense. It also doesn’t help you call it a trifecta of blue before that, while only listing 2 troops.

Also, not sure if I’m the only one seeing this but Gargantaur has duplicated text and Ubastet has Undine’s text.