3.4 Sneak Peek Doomskulls

In this case, it can be better to modify the description of the spell and add “boosted by Skulls and Doomskulls”.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

The responses make me believe that they are an entirely new 8th gem type that only certain spells recognize as “skulls”, but the board altering mechanics do not. If I understand your responses correctly, doomskulls circumvent every single current spell that specifically counters skulls in the game (skullblade, finley, carnex, Anubite, etc) - they will be absolutely useless versus doomskulls. Also, using skull spawners on doomskull teams and vice versa makes them incompatible and the latter just basically better than the former.

I hope this gets reconsidered, especially with regard to the stuff that targets skulls specifically. This is a class of spells that is already very weak and this mechanic seems like it should probably have some counterplay when it goes up. As for everything else, well, its counter intuitive at best.

I suppose my biggest gripe with this information is that it is internally inconsistent. Doomskulls count as skulls when they want to count as skulls - yes when counting them on the board for boost ratios and matching to normal skulls, but no when respecting the “same type” rule (if a doomskull is a special skull, they shouldn’t spawn over each other, and normal skulls definitely shouldn’t be overwriting doomskulls) and no when being targeted by stuff that targets “skulls” on the board (if doomskulls are just special skulls, they should be targetable as skulls). I would expect stuff that is boosted by skulls to be boosted by doomskulls as well… since doomskulls are special skulls. And I would expect skull spawners to only spawn normal skulls and not doomskulls, since doomskulls are special skulls. But then I would not expect skull spawners to spawn on top of doomskulls, since doomskulls still skulls, just a special type of them. I would expect doomskulls to be targetable by skull counters, since doomskulls are just special skulls.

tl;dr:
For this to be internally consistent and intuitive we basically just need all spells to act as “every doomskull is a skull, but not every skull is a doomskull”.

6 Likes

It seems that it will work like that.

My brain is broken when it comes to what counts as a doom skull and what doesn’t. Common sense says I will face the meta of the week when this glowing skull gets released and alter my team accordingly.

2 Likes

Not in all cases, and that is the problem, it isn’t internally consistent. It was specifically stated in the response that skulls and doomskulls can spawn over each other because they are “different gem types”. And also that things that target skulls specifically cannot target doomskulls. If every doomskull is considered a skull, then normal skull spawners should not overwrite doomskulls (because why would skulls spawn over other skulls?), and things that target skulls on the board should also target doomskulls (because why wouldn’t things that target skulls be able to target skulls?).

4 Likes

In both cases, Doomskulls should be considered as Skulls.

Maybe for 1st one (i.e. Doomskulls overwrite Skulls), it’s a sort of nerf so Guardians cannot get wild…

For the 2nd one (i.e. skull-targeting spells don’t target Doomskulls), I assume that Cap Skullbeard will explode nothing if there are only Doomskulls on the board. That’s super misleading…

Hope devs will improve consistency about that before the patch… Surely too late…

2 Likes

When it comes to counting gems, Doomskulls count as skulls, so anything that counts or targets skulls, will also count/target Doomskulls. However, when creating skulls, Doomskulls are considered separate and won’t be created unless the spell specifically creates them. Also normal skulls can overwrite Doomskulls during creations.

4 Likes

It sounds like you all made a conscious decision to let guild guardians (and presumably other troops) target doomskulls for creation. Was this because the game didn’t feel exciting enough with doomskulls excluded?

Also, will Dwarven Miner be allowed to target doomskulls and deal 40+ damage?

Edit: no on Miner. It targets gems of a chosen color. The Devoted, on the other hand, gets much better in the 3.4 update!

Skulls=Dogs
Doomskulls=German Sheppards

4 Likes

So Honor, The Devoted, Tesla, Elspeth?

If I understand this correctly…
Then these casts

Will Remove Doomskulls :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It should not as it’s “remove” + “Skulls”…

Doomskulls are only considered as Skulls when you’re counting skulls on the board.

Going by this i’d say removing skulls basically counts as targetting skulls, so will probably remove doomskulls aswell.

2 Likes

Yeah but:

It’s so confusing that even devs are confused…

2 Likes

I agree with @mithran and others above: this is looking inconsistent and confusing. Either doomskulls are skulls or they aren’t.

1 Like

If a Doomskull is next to a gem that explodes, does it also explode or is it merely destroyed?

3 Likes

In PuzzleQuest they’d explode whenever destroyed by any cause. For now I’m assuming the same here.

Can’t see your point. Say, a troop spawns X green gems. Before doomskulls green were, say, 13% of the board, with doomskulls they will take the same 13%. Can’t see how it affects gemspawners.

1 Like

I think what he means is since it’s another gem type, now there is one more thing to get in the way of cascades and stop longer chains of matches post-gemspawn.

Some would argue that’s an improvement but it’s not an argument where there can be a winner.

2 Likes

The way i understand it, Doomskulls are acting as a subset of skulls. So they won’t take the place of anything but a skull. Best way to think of it is that every skull has a 10% to get big Boy Pants and become a Doomskull. So they won’t ever interfere with any cascades in other ways than skulls do, 'cause if they would not exist in its place would always be a regular skull instead not any of the colour gems.

1 Like