3.2 Patch Notes

I don’t like the new board in battle it’s hard to see and hurts my eyes

5 Likes

I don’t like the new game board, the new way stats are displayed, the new troops menu, or the new PvP battle screen, or the new Chat UI. And the troops menu look so cluttered and jumbled up. The Chat UI runs together now, you miss over half of the conversations if not paying attention.

3 Likes

If it were not for my guild, I would quit until changes were made. I may have to quit anyway. I tried some more battles, and found it very difficult to play, and my eyes are starting to hurt. I will not play a game that literally hurts to play.

7 Likes

@Saltypatra @Ozball can we get a seperate thread going where feedback of changes can be posted? I have some pictures I would like to share where it could use some improvements but don’t want them getting lost in the shuffle.

1 Like

as well as @Ghaleon @Ivar @MrsAffects

Tribute amounts were not affected, however there was a display bug where it wasn’t showing the gold from tributes correctly in the Tribute Window. No gold was actually lost. The menu is fixed in the next update.

This is just a representation of the base amount of gold you get per hour from kingdoms (Income Tab in the Kingdom Menu), and is collected when you collect tributes.

3 Likes

So basically worthless info cluttering up the UI even more than it was before?

4 Likes

I dropped my coffee, you madman!

1 Like

Immediate / first impressions feedback:

• I really like the clean new optical impression, look and feel…
    -…until I tried to play a few matches… and this is way harder to see what’s going on
  • numbers harder to see, troops and board lost easy definition

I’ll wait and see on the impact of balance changes, though gut feel is with @mithran that it’d be better to fix the code properly for the multi 4 match traits, rather than globally nerf them. Sledgehammer when a scalpel was needed…

4 Likes

It’s really mystifying to me how the troop/board stuff made it in. Did no one on their end play it? Did no one raise any issues? I just don’t get how a whole team could think it was good or even okay.

5 Likes

Change card drops to be random order again.

As of this patch, troops from keys are now handed out in rarity order.

The hype for legends and mythics are lessened since only the last few cards can be the drop. Before, any of the 50 could have been that legend/mythic.

6 Likes

Disagree with this one. Should be rarest first to least rare at the bottom. I just want to know if I got the good stuff; couldn’t care less about the rest.

New design makes me sad (not everywhere). Soulless and not ergonomic in some cases (spc troops menu). At least for PC player.

1 Like

A few points:

• I get these weird part cards showing on battle load screen
  • new Chinese kingdom art spotted on load screen?
  • what the hell happened to the silence status indicators?
  • lost/reduced glow effect means it’s hard to see which spells are ready

Edit:

• don’t like having to scroll back left to see gold earned after battle, want it all on one screen
  • poss bug: stealthy working? I cast Nyx and found I could target Fizzbang?
5 Likes

All of the traitstones art is missing on my device (iPad pro). This is highly annoying when traitstone farming :frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t get why strat thinks he was ‘one of the 2 or 3’ who thought it was going to be a bad decision regarding the new UI months ago.
I posted in reply after salty had posted, ‘anyone who thinks that the new UI is good must be the person who designed it’, or words similar. It’s almost like no single Dev took on board the reaction of the players.
So far I’ve had about an hour of the new UI.
I like some of the changes, especially the main game play screen but I’m struggling to see stats etc and I’m playing on a reasonably sized TV. How this plays out on phones and tablets is huge concern as that’s a massive % age of the player base. Yup, it’s very hard to read things.
Some stuff is clearly unfinished.
Traitstones… Wow. They did not need changing and although I don’t mind them it was unnecessary and they’re too indistinct. Pretty much like much of the new UI.
I want to like it but I don’t. Not yet.
I like the new look of the cards, and I wasn’t sure about the borderless look.
There’s too much going on, the main screen is a mess.
Not a fan of the rewards flashing up at the end and having to scroll across, just shrink it slightly to fit maybe?
Choosing a banner is a pain in the arse, why not have a screen showing all the banners and choose one that way?
Its early days, I’d absolutely hate to see such a backlash that this was dumped because it could be something really nice but it’s a long way short imo currently and the main issue is that it’s losing its fantasy identity. That’s was one of the worries months ago along with the visual impact, yet they ploughed on regardless it appears.
Anyway I’ll leave it at that for now.
The gold looks good I suppose!

4 Likes

I want to focus on this image for a bit. In 3.1, the stars took up the entire area above the kingdom name. Now, there are wings that look pretty but force the relevant information to a small fraction of the usable space. Unless those wings become important down the road (or are important now), this is a step back in terms of usability. Edit: corrected by Ozball below, these do serve some UI purpose.

I will not be downloading this until it becomes mandatory, since I already play on a smaller screen. I will accept the blob trait resolution and slightly more powerful Wisps in exchange for not risking eye strain when I play a game for fun.

And did they remove the indicator on the home screen for how close a kingdom is to its next star? I don’t see it in the image I quoted.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that the wings only appear after you have 5 stars. So they do convey some information with their presence.

1 Like

Targeting itself may be broken. A guildmate of mine was able to cast Bone Dragon on their own Bone Dragon. While I applaud this reinvisioning of the troop if this was intentional, the far more likely scenario is that a target validity check was inadvertently removed somewhere.

I’m just gonna divide my post into three main areas…

The Bad

What were you thinking??

As a UX/UI person who you have literally paid to help with the game before, I am telling you that you have either shot yourselves in the foot, or the face, with this set of changes. It looks… really bad… and its harder to use, like everyone is saying. With a few exceptions.

All of the below, and more, are things that simply should not be how they are. And my first instinct says to revert them.

• Losing the colorful aesthetics on main buttons (now blue/black/white).
  • Inconsistent application of new changes - still have places like the hero, shop, pvp, settings, and other areas that have the old look inside.
  • Kingdoms’ bonuses are much harder to see on the map.
  • Home kingdom is nearly impossible to notice.
  • Games/kingdom/guild/etc buttons now filling the screen with the ‘pick next thing’ options. See below.
  • Gold/souls/glory/gems are no longer in a straight line in the main map UI. (REALLY?) See below.
  • New Glory icon doesn’t fit… any… existing art style. And is applied inconsistently (hero resource collection has old icon still, etc).
  • New main loading animation isn’t anywhere near as nice as … anything else we’ve had. (And the PVP one is okay-ish but not as good, and too busy to really see much…) See below.
  • Impossible to read the light blue ‘team score’ numbers on a handful of kingdom backgrounds, Glacial Peaks in particular.
  • New troop card appearance is hard to read in general, but especially in PVP.**
  • In the Guild Wars area, “Last week’s results” being shifted to the ‘Register’ button doesn’t make sense.
  • Button to resize the chat window isn’t particularly intuitive. (Needs to be hunted down and found…)
  • Faded black margins near the top and bottom edges of the screen don’t do anything good. See below.

Areas we can click to exit these overlarge displays are marked in red. We used to be able to click almost anywhere if we miss-hit a kingdom by accident.

Seriously, this thing? Losing the old ‘loading’ animation makes me sad.

I’m sure I’ll find more things when I actually play more than 10 minutes with this.

The Good

The update isn’t a total loss. Things I immediately like:

• Wisp and Kraken can go straight to hell.
  • Most of the new or reverted features in the troop area - new filter options, no more console-issue arrow buttons, etc.**
  • New traitstone art, though it will take some getting used to.
  • Streamlining the PVP end-of-battle rewards slightly by including the traitstone type in the main display and not requiring another display for it. Finally!**
  • Red/Blue/Green/Purple for Attack/Armor/Life/Magic.**
  • Streamlined tribute collection speed.
  • The new look is actually good in the Guild War section - I like the Attack and Results tabs in particular.
  • Upgrading sentinels can be done all at once (per stat).

To Improve

Some of these are marked above with **:

Still no real-time timestamps for chat. Come on guys! Pick a “Gems of War time”, stick a clock or something in there, and let us have this! This should be in the “bad” area…

Still no fix to the Kraken killing two enemies with damage and devouring a third. (And associated other troops with this issue.)

While the traitstone PVP reward was streamlined away, the ladderboard points and trophies reward was not. And should be.

Troop collection needs a scroll bar or something. (Also for the Weapons tab.)

The banner and team bonuses… while the UI looks nice, those things all take up too much space and necessitate far more scrolling than they should. I’m playing on 1280x720 resolution, I pity anyone dealing with this on a phone screen.

I should be able to see more than 3.5 of these at once. Shrink the damn things please. Use two rows at once if you have to.

I see a huge redundancy here. Just say “For having 3 unique Zaejin troops” and save the space. Convert this section into a 2x2 grid, scrollable to 2x3 if someone runs a Human/Knight/Whitehelm/Swords-Edge team and has every possible bonus.

And then… Why is the Red/Blue/Green/Purple color scheme for troop stats not used… everywhere!?

This, with more than 30 seconds effort applied, would go a long way to making these easier to read. Could be used in the previous picture, team bonuses, also. And so on.
(Why does that little 2x2, from Guild Wars, have Attack above Magic, when every other place has Magic above Attack?)

I will have to wait and see, about losing the AI sliders. But that strikes me as another largely-invisible change, which I think will result in us going through another [possibly brief] period of not knowing enough about what the AI is going to do.

Lots of other stuff I’m sure I’ll find later.

This post took me about two hours to make.

44 Likes

Now i see what they´ve wasted their time with instead of listening to reason and the player base. I wonder what they are smoking in australia. Was fun but im out. Journey well y´all.

3 Likes