3.2.5 Feedback and suggestions

I observed some curious AI behavior today.

Example one: My board is no first slot (dead), a fully charged Emperor Khorvash, an Abynissia, and an Infernal King. My opponent’s board is no first and second slot, a fully charged Amira, and a Wulfgarok. It’s my opponent’s turn, and he chooses to aim Amira at the Infernal King. I proceed to win. This targeting makes no sense, as Amira was able to one shot both other troops. Furthermore, my Khorvash was fully charged, and thus a prime target. The AI should handle this situation better I feel, looking first at targets it can kill, then at targets that are close to using their ability, and taking those out.

Example two: I have a very low HP Silver Drakon in front and three other troops, including a freshly summoned Infernal King (same matchup). My opponent has a fully charged Wulfgarok. It’s my opponent’s turn. Once again, the AI aims at the IK, where it could have killed the Drakon and get a free devour off of Wulfgarok’s third trait. Again the kill is ignored, and again it allowed me to win the match because the AI made a mistake.

I’ve seen this behavior more often today, and it looks like the AI prefers to target the enemy with the highest defenses (armor plus life). If you can’t kill any targets, this might make sense, but it certainly makes no sense at all when you can kill a target. Especially not when that target is about to fire off its ability!

The AI is dumb. Pretty sure it always has been. It’s why win % are so high.

That’s why the AI get more mana surges/cascades/higher % chances in order to make the game somewhat of a challenge.

Everything I just said will be denied of course.

1 Like

They made the AI more clever recently. It now ignores skulls sometimes, and it casts abilities that give it a free turn before matching anything nowadays. No reason why they couldn’t tweak it further :wink:

IT IS A CONSPIRACY TO MAKE US HAVE FUN!!! #pronoia

Some ui requests here:

Please make sliders bigger. For example in inventory. It’s so thin you need super high precision to grab it with a mouse cursor. Double the width at least, or maybe triple it if it doesn’t look too ugly. There’s plenty of screen space to use.

It’s nice to have sliders though, would be even nicer to introduce home, end, page up and page down buttons as well. Recently the page up/down has been added back to troop list and it’s awesome. I propose two more buttons, one above page up which takes to the top, and one under page down that takes to the bottom. Also some other places could use those, like inventory or chest opening interface (only when opening 50+ chests maybe?).

And finally please switch positions between skill summary and inventory tabs on hero view, so that the game defaults to inventory, as it used to be before update.

Oh, and merry xmas!

2 Likes

I suggest to put in forge minor summon stones (common, rare, ultra rare and epic) and major summon stones (legendary and mythic), so you devs give us a real innovation and not usual nerfed resource. Obviously major summon stones will cost more.

2 Likes

I love that idea.

I’m not sure what ‘major summon stones’ really adds? I assume you mean they do ‘summon random mythic or legendary troop of this colour’? Really don’t see how that’s any use when specific mythics and legendaries can be targeted now. We don’t need more RNG, we need targeted crafting.

I assumed that “major” meant “capable of summoning mythics”, like the summoning stones were before this latest update.

• We don’t like Dawnbringer on defense in arena. Drop it.
  • We like Runic Blade, Black Manacles, and several other weapons on defense. Using that as an excuse shows you haven’t read the multiple times we’ve agreed on it in a 3-month old thread.
  • We don’t give a snot about Dawnbringer on offense in arena, people who use their expensive toy to win easier don’t hurt us who don’t have expensive toys until we have to face their expensive toy in Arena, the place where “all players are equal”.
4 Likes

I don’t mind DawnBringer in the Arena. I’m about 1000000 Souls from getting one myself, but as a defender it’s just a challenge, similar to fighting a team with Psion in the front position in PVP.

As with Psion teams, you just have to focus ALL efforts on taking down DawnBringer, but then my standard strategy is to focus all efforts on the defending Hero anyway.

I find I win about 80-90% vs DawnBringer teams so they rarely stop me from having a ‘perfect’ Arena run… I play Arena on Normal but even before the “Age of Dawnbringer” I only played Arena on Hard.

In matches where opponent gets a shot off with DawnBringer my win % drops to about 50%, two shots and I’m done for but that almost never happens.

Worst case, if DawnBringer is really screwing w you, spend a couple thousand to make sure you’ve got a good team. I find that any of the following Rares/Ultra-Rares virtually guarantee an 8-0 or 8-1 run:

Ancient Golem
Bombardier (Rare)
Lava Elemental
Lion Prince (Rare)
Ranger (Rare)
Rock Spirit
Sylph
Thorn Knight
Winged Bison
Wyvern

Plenty of other good troops available in Arena, even some commons (Centaur Scout, Goblin, Ship Cannon) but the 10 above are the ones I’m looking for. I seldom lose if I have one or more of the above in my team, YMMV of course.

1 Like

One other note, stop using the Runic Blade in Arena!

DawnBringer changed the equation, you no longer have time to get Runic Blade powered up. I use Summer’s Fury, which in addition to doing up to 40 damage (10/opponent) and creating Red mana for a quick 2nd strike is a good weapon for clearing those annoying Barriers should your opponent get a shot off w DawnBringer.

1 Like

Stun/Entangle Psion and he’s dealt with. There’s no need to focus all efforts on him. Unless your whole team has about 3hp each of course.

If this works for you, that’s great. But using Summer’s Fury is just asking the game to give Dawnbringer all the mana it needs to destroy you.

3 Likes

IF you have those abilities in your team. In GW matches, for example, I don’t like going off-color just to deal with a tough enemy troop. But I wasn’t complaining about Psion, he’s not that hard to deal with, just don’t give him any skulls with which to steal your lead guy’s mana. My point was that he’s usually the immediate concern when he’s in the front spot.

Not sure I understand this… because DawnBringer uses Red? For whatever reason that hasn’t been a problem for me and I’ve played Summer’s Fury vs Dawnbringer teams literally hundreds of times. Anyway, it’s not realistic to think you’re gonna mana-starve a troop/weapon that uses 3 colors. OTOH, those usually need a LOT of mana…

I understand your skepticism, I can’t even get anyone in my guild to go along with me! For my part, I always thought Runic Blade was overrated, and now with DawnBringer it’s just too slow to develop its fearsome attack.

As the game gets faster and faster, troops, weapons, and abilities become more or less favored.

For example a year ago I pulled Death sometime in my first week of play and he carried me through the first couple hundred levels. He was fearsome back then!

Nowadays Death Mark just isn’t that scary, it got nerfed a bit but mostly it’s that matches don’t go on long enough for it to be effective:

Oh no, all my troops got Death Marked! ::shrugs:: well, we all gotta die sometime…

I think one problem with danwbringer in arena is we don’t have enough troop who deal damage to everyone so you can’t remove every barrier at the same time, this is why it make it difficult to defeat them if you are not lucky with the suggested troop or the team you builded.

This is reason #1 why Summer’s Fury has become the (2nd) best weapon for Arena!

Also if you look at my list of recommended troops for Arena, fully half of them (Lion Prince, Ranger, Rock Spirit, Sylph, Wyvern) target multiple opponents… probably one reason they’re so good in Arena, tho I admit I hadn’t explicitly realized that until just now.

Until it comes from a dev’s mouth I’m not going to believe the point of Arena is “just throw money at the draft until it gives you an A-rank team, that’s the design”.

Whatever the “point of Arena” is, it’s not a great way to make gold, so there’s that.

I’d also appreciate it if you didn’t intentionally misconstrue what I wrote.

Thanks!

How are you suppose

How do you do this?

…or, if I understand correctly, it’s not the same to say “keep throwing Gems at PVP until a Psion-free team appears”? Really, that’s how you deal with Psion.

1 Like

Hmm, I disagree, gems are too valuable to spend resetting the PVP choices. It’s also pretty rare to see 3 Psion teams in PVP, so if you’re determined to avoid them it should be possible to do so w/o spending gems.

I’m sorry I brought Psion into the discussion, it was just an example of a troop that can be tough but that can also be handled by careful, focused gameplay. My point was that in Arena DawnBringer can be handled the same way.

It’s not exactly analogous, since in Arena you make the troop choices before the matches start. I was pointing out that if you have a tough time with DawnBringer and you drew kind of a weak team, you can ‘retire’ and try again (for another 1000 gold). There are enough really good troops for Arena that you should be able to draw a viable team in 2 or 3 tries at most.

Personally I seldom use this option, the exception being if I draw a weak team and then lose the first match. In that case I’ll retire and re-draw rather than playing the series out and likely ending up at 5-2 or something like that.