3.1 Game Crashing - Information Gathering

I doubt he will be able to answer. I think we’ll probably get a proper response in it’s own thread, rather than a reply buried in a thread with a bunch of other stuff.

Him and alpheon are the best you would be surprise :slight_smile:

Oh I’m aware, we dealt with them a lot during both betas :wink: But I’m more thinking it’s the kind of question that the devs will want to put out an official response for.

1 Like

You know me, i had to try :slight_smile:
Now im done derailing this thread and sorry about that

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the information. We were able to find a pattern to what’s been happening, and have updated the opening post with some workarounds.

If you still experience crashes please keep the information coming.

3 Likes

Hey, just looking for info or if anyone else has encountered this.

My main troop team was 9,400 power before the unity update and when it went live it dropped to 8,600 power.

If i set it as my defence team then the power is what it should be but it drops when i use it as an attack team.

Took this screenshot today as i was going to battle my own def team.

Any Devs help me out?

I submitted a ticket

1. Random
  2. Crash to home screen
  3. No
  4. NVidia Shield - Android 7.0
  5. No
  6. Device
  7. Ultra-Rare, had at Mythic but now all the way down to Common
  8. None
  9. No
  10. No
  11. yes and no
  12. was running on mythic lowered to common

Same I do as above, except now I have power save mode off.

If I press the iPhone lock button while GoW is active, then the app exits. Seems to be 100% repeatable.

I want to add some information to this, as my crashes are continuing, but I have been paying attention to them better. I just had one while playing my 2nd GW match for the morning. Over the past couple days I have had multiple crashes and there is one thing in common, it is the beginning of my turn, usually deep into the game and I am not touching anything. The crashes happen just after the start of my turn and I am not even touching the ipad at all.

Hope this helps, and hope you can fix this.

1. Random. Usually mid-game, but it also crashed while loading a match once or twice, and from the Troop screen as well. The game crashes several times per day.

2. Back to the home screen, no message.

3. I don’t lock mid game

4. iPad mini 2, wifi only. iOS 10.1.1

5. Around 300 mb storage free, just cleared that up to 600

6. Device

7. Not sure what default was. Currently: ultra-rare, power saving on, speed 1.5x, blur off. Will try switching down to rare.

8. Off.

9. Turned it on. If anything I’m crashing more frequently.

10. Once or twice I noticed a split second hang, where one character fired a spell that did many things at once (e.g. blowing up the board.) Usually nothing.

11. I have been playing for about 3 months on this device. Prior to 3.1, it crashed maybe twice, ever.

12. As the comments indicate this may be an issue with fragmentation, I have tried shutting down and rebooting my iPad before even opening GoW, and having it be the only app open when I play. This doesn’t help in the least.

I’m very frustrated. The game can go maybe three to five matches before quitting. I’ve lost multiple guild wars fights for this. I’ve stopped bothering to play the arena; my two losses are always the result of crashes.

UPDATE: since switching to Rare, the crashes have stopped. WHEW.

I noticed you have the game installed on a SD card. Have you tried installing the game on device to see if it makes a difference?

1 Like

I have experienced one crash post 3.1 it was while i was ascending a bunch of cards but i mean A BUNCH of cards lol

Once i had ascended them all i was scrolling thru my troops as fast as i could when it crashed

A brief update:

I turned Power Saving on but the frequent crashes continued.

I then turned my graphics setting down to “RARE” from “ULTRA-RARE”… and the crashes have decreased about 75%… still happens too much (including during a GW match) but much better than before.

Best of all, I can’t discern any difference in screen quality between the two settings. I hear “COMMON” looks really bad so I’m gonna stick with “RARE” until there’s a proper fix.

:pig:

Unfortunately, I have no room on my device to store… but it’s not crashing like it used to… it was doing it about 4x a day… it. Crashed 2x yesterday and none at all today. :woman_shrugging:

It’s improved, but I’m still experiencing crashes. 5 times since I’ve done all the things you mention in the OP, once in the middle of a match and once right after I won a match.

If I turn graphic down to lowest, it happens less.
Mind you, just less.
As oppose to 3-4 times a day, it crashes maybe once a day.

1 Like

Just to echo what most folks have already posted - My wife & I are experiencing almost continuous crashes on iPad.

I have a iPad Air, she has a Mini 2 ‘fixes’ applied but seems to have very little impact.

This is all anecdotal but it may help;

Without doubt for me it appears to be a memory issue ~ I can almost ‘feel’ when it is about to crash as there seems to be a second or two of slow down where the game has gotten ahead of itself (akin to Youtube when the image slips behind the sound) and then wham, back to the home screen you go.
Clicking the home button and selecting the active Gems window shows you an old(er) screenshot of your progress in the game briefly and then promptly restarts/reloads.

Although I haven’t timed it specifically, it seems to be a fairly consistent 5mins (at most) in game before the crash. Doesn’t appear to be any pattern of activity that prompts the crash, more a finite amount of steps it can run before it falls over. For example:

• Yesterday after a PVP match during the reward screen and fail to recognise the win on restart (forest traitstone that wasn’t in my stash on restart)
  • Last night turn 2 of my 2nd GW match. On restart it counted the battle is DNF → auto loss whereas before 3.1 it would attempt to reconnect you to the previous match if possible.
  • This morning just browsing the chests menu after a couple of PVP matches.

Hope this is useful.

1] Not for me - seems time based, or more specifically time running based. I.e. it has a finite amount of resources (99% sure it’s memory) and something is eating this up until its maxed and then crashes.

2] Back to home screen - haven’t had any error messages.

3] Yes - unable to resume from locked screen or background etc. Issue not present in 3.0 I.e. I could launch the app in the morning, lock my iPad on my desk, come back in the afternoon and after a moment or two for it to ping the server/grab Gamecenter it would carry on as normal.

4] Myself: iPad Air 1 iOS 10.3.3 My wife: iPad Mini 2 iOS 10.3.3

5] According to iOS: Used 24.61Gb Available 3.65Gb. I can probably free up a little more space but 3 1/2Gb is a fairly reasonable swap file! :laughing:

6] Default standard Appstore installation on the device

7] Default = Ultra-Rare. Played (briefly) with settings @ rare, still encountered crashes but the quality of the effects was very poor. Perhaps rather than scaling the image quality/size with the graphics toggle - could you perhaps have the option to remove other potentially more demanding settings such as Particle Effects, Shadows, Spell Effects etc. This may allow the game to run more smoothly on lower powered devices and give the user the capbility to tweak what preferable settings for them - for example I would happily give up the shiny particle effects for clearer artwork etc.

8] Blur = Off

9] Last few days with ‘Power Saving’ enabled and no obvious benefit

10] Yes (see above) very slight slow down a few seconds before a crash.

11] Yes - Predominately mobile (iOS) player about 90% of my games. Prior to 3.1 whilst there was the odd hiccup here and there, the game would do it’s best to reconnect you to matches and on occasion even restore you mid-match or mid-reward etc. Was also able to often resume the game after leaving it locked on my iPad (I.e. so long as it was still the ‘main’ app running I could leave it in the background and briefly check emails/web page etc.) Since 3.1 any minimising or locking of the screen for longer than a few seconds results in a crash. I.e. it is not holding your progress in memory and/or properly running as a background process.

12] Other than playing on PC (which is fine :grinning:) no nothing seems to have prevented the crashes.

Richy.

2 Likes

Wisp not targeting randomly:

Hello, I’ve noticed a few times now that the supposed random targeting of an opponent’s wisp seems completely targeted when I use a Leshy and my entire team minus the Leshy are entangled. Example:

I play Leshy plus 3 other troops, and face Wisp, Wisp, Krystenax, Kraken.
I use the Leshy’s spell. Everything gets entangled except for the Leshy and opposing Krystenax.
The opposing Wisps fire 4 times (spell, recharge from board scramble, spell, spell, recharge from board scramble, spell). All 4 casts hit the Leshy. Later, the Leshy dies. The 2nd troop is also dead from the wisp onslaught. My 3rd troop heals from entangled. The Wisps now target the only unentangled troop until the last troop dies.

If the Wisp targeting is random, shouldn’t it also target entangled troops despite their having 0 attack?

2 Likes

(1). Get kicked in PvP or gw usually in the middle of a match. (2). Crashes back to the home screen. (3). No (4). Kindle fire 7 and fire is 5.4.0.1 (5). Not close to full storage. (6). Installed on device. (7). Common - rare. (8). Blur off. (9). Power savings mode did not help. (10). Sometimes, other times in middle of a move. (11). Yes, played before with no issue. (12). Tried clean master but didn’t help.

Been a huge amount of Server issues coming up during the past week or so.