The release of 3.1 on mobile was a big step for us. As many of you know, we are now using the same Unity codebase across all platforms. This has great long-term benefits for us as devs, and in the long-run should be better for players, as we are now able to focus on features and wont have to code them twice.
However, as 3.1 has completely shifted the codebase across to mobile, we are going to run into issues with some devices which likely didn’t have issues before. We would have liked to pick up all these issues in testing before release, but unfortunately some of these issues only show up once we release to the public.
So in order for us to try and find a pattern here what’s going on. So if you are experiencing the crashing issues, can you please let us know some information.
- Does the game always crash at a fix point, is it random, or is there another way you can easily reproduce it?
- When the game crashes, does it give an error or crash back to the home screen?
- Does the game crash after resuming from a locked screen?
- What device and OS version are you running?
- Is your device close to full storage?
- Is the game installed on device or on an SD card.
- What graphics quality settings did your device default to, and what graphics settings are you running now?
- What is the Blur Quality setting set to?
- Have you tried enabling “Power Saving” mode to see if it helps?
- Did you notice the game slowing down or lagging before the crash?
- Did you play on mobile before 3.1, and did you have an issues with that?
- Was there anything else you tried that managed to prevent the crashes from occurring?
Please note, the errors we are looking for here are errors on device, not errors that return back a message from the server (such as the “Internal error” that we can sometimes happen).
Update - Possible Workarounds
We’ve noticed a pattern with the crashes reported, and the devices that seem to be affected.
The random crashes that occur during gameplay. We have noticed that a lot of the iOS devices reported here have 1GB RAM. We tested here on an iPad 3 (with 1GB RAM) and after a few Guild Wars battles in a row, we noticed memory warnings, followed by an eventual crash. This is when we had the Graphics Quality set to higher than “Ultra-Rare” or higher. So if you are experiencing those issues, please set the Graphics Quality to “Rare”. In this case, you shouldn’t have to set “Power Saving” mode to prevent these crashes.
On Android, if your device is 1GB of RAM or lower, we suggest you set your graphics settings to “Common” if you have been experiencing crashes.
We are aware that setting the Graphics Quality to lower is not ideal. This was one side-effect of porting our Unity code from console to mobile. One of the reasons we are changing to the new flat UI (seen in Dungeon and Soulforge) is so the game will run faster and with less memory on mobile. So when we update the UI for 3.2, most devices should be able to run at high quality graphics again.
Crashes When Resuming
Some iOS devices appear to be crashing when resuming the game from a locked screen, or after not playing for a while and attempting to restory the game. Some of these cases may be related to the Memory issues, however this problem seems like more of a bug in Unity, which unfortunately isn’t a quick fix for us. However, it seems like enabling “Power Saving” resolves this issue. If you still notice this issue occurring after enabling Power Saving, you may also want to downgrade the graphics quality settings.