2.1 in progress...can we have infos?

But this game is my hoarding simulator! i will not be stopped! :sunglasses:

i leave you with a pic of my goblin hordeā€¦hoard xD

6 Likes

Back to the original question, we were told more frequent releases, and itā€™s not apparent, at least on PC. When to expect 2.1 parts a and b?

1 Like

Soā€¦ manyā€¦ potentialā€¦ soulsā€¦! Mustā€¦ haveā€¦

So many potential clicks to get them :laughing:

Iā€™ve played a couple of Clicker Games. That doesnā€™t scare me at all. :wink:

2 Likes

Anyone actually does all those clicks by hand? I thought the obvious thing to do would be using an auto-clicker. Saves both your mouse and your finger.

Well, it never was bothersome enough for me to try to find/write such an auto-clicker. And for a couple of months itā€™s not a problem at all as souls stopped being an issue and I donā€™t even think about disenchanting any more.

First, thanks for continuing this thread. I find it fascinating, from a philosophical stand point, as you point out - you are a dev, and knowing your driving logic does help me appreciate your design decisions, now and in the future. So, I thank you for taking the time.

Hmmā€¦ you seem to be arguing an ideal vision vs. practical application as delivered. Thatā€™s not all a bad thing, but your vision doesnā€™t seem to be congruent with the system and economy and requirements as currently designed.

If you lowered requirements and lowered time to achieve full trait, level and mythic class from what it is, to say an hour of real player time, Okay - then I agree. You could make resources for that new released item immediately available and folks wouldnā€™t need to horde. However, I donā€™t think thatā€™s what you are talking about. It sounds like in the utopia of vision, you would release something and only then, would folks start working toward collecting it, ascending, leveling and traiting it as those items were foundā€¦ the problem is, the time to find and perform those tasks is horrendous at the drop of a new release. The entire system of this game is built on accumulating resources and applying them.

To change that mentality, in a practical fashion, Iā€™m unsure how you could achieve your ideal withoutoverhauling the whole game and itā€™s economyā€¦ but perhaps that is what you are really saying?

v/r,

4 Likes

I think the bit still stuck in your teeth is our different application of the word ā€œHoard.ā€ You seem to define it thus:

ā€œAccumulating resourcesā€

Which is NOT at all what I mean. ā€œHoardingā€ to me is specifically about accumulating resources you donā€™t need, and have no reason to believe you will ever need. Accumulating junk. Putting money in the bank isnā€™t what I mean by hoarding, nor is creating excess wealth. I think of hoarding specifically as stuffing your couch full of bottle caps and gum wrappers, because you canā€™t stand to part with them, and have a (false) idea that they might become desirable at some point.

Thatā€™s not behavior we want in our players, or in anyone. So we as developers have a vested interest in making certain that this sort of behavior is never advantageous.

2 Likes

i have a few souls laying around,though ive had more in the past! :smiley:

is this under your definition of hoarding?since new cards that come out will still need souls? xD

1 Like

Okay, I understand completely.

Now, letā€™s apply your last reply to Gems of war. If accumulating resources (to whatever quantity) is not hording, itā€™s just ā€œaccumulating wealthā€, then what is, to you, hoarding in Gems of War?

After all, we know chest keys, gold, glory, souls, gems, trait stonesā€¦ even spare copies of cards - are ALL worth saving up until needed in the future. So by your definition (if I follow), no amount of any of these is hording, itā€™s accumulating wealth.

The only thing I could possibly come up with at the moment that would meet your definition of ā€œhoardingā€ (as I understand it), would be perhaps accumulating more than 4 of one particular Mythic typeā€¦ say 5+ War cards?

However, if thatā€™s what you are talking about, could you blame anyone with the means for doing so? History has proven that destroying excess cards, even Legendaries, was a mistakeā€¦ as now, we can upgrade to Mythics.

1 Like

Dear lord, extensive and impressive.

I have zero idea how Mr.Strangeā€™s reply relates to the argument or the game in general. Whatever the bottle caps and gum wrappers are referring to they should be removed from the game.

Nice, have you got all characters fully levelled?

isnā€™t that basically what gambling on stocks is? You buy low and hope the stock price goes up so can turn a profit. [quote=ā€œTactica, post:48, topic:9177ā€]
Sure, I appreciate your role and perspectiveā€¦ just not your reasoning and motive.
[/quote]

I think what he is saying is that the economy should not stagnate because of feature releases. What if the cards coming in weekly is to prevent stagnation of resources. Would people need so much glory if they did not aim for the weekly troop?[quote=ā€œTactica, post:48, topic:9177ā€]
You say, if the player ā€œknowsā€ of something releasing and builds up in anticipation, thatā€™s goodā€¦ but if they donā€™t know whatā€™s coming, and still builds up the same resource in anticipation for the unknownā€¦ then, thatā€™s bad?
[/quote]

Sounds right. What is the difference between saving for an emergency and being a miser.

indeed! :blush:

And I bet you still use Valkyrie :grin:

1 Like

Well the specific discussion was exactly about keeping more than 4 copies of a card that is at mythic. Prior to the ascension mechanic, there was no reason at all to keep more than 4 copies. But then the ascension mechanic changed the rules - and folks who had been accumulating cards that were, as far as anyone knew, ā€œjunkā€ were suddenly rewarded greatly for their habits.

So the introduction of that system added a bit of a ā€œI should hold extra copies even when they promise I wonā€™t need themā€ attitude. And I wanted to reassure folks that we wouldnā€™t repeat the mistakes of the past, and that they should believe us when we tell them they can disenchant safely. Iā€™d actually be in favor of an ā€œautomatic disenchantā€ function, that simply gives you the souls when you open chests and get cards you have 4 of at mythic.

The other potential example would be if someone did something extreme to earn a specific resource - souls, for example, and then continued to hurt themselves once they had no further need of an excess. For example, Arcane Mountain (yellow/brown) stones are needed for both Maw and Gorgotha, which are both great troops to trait up. If someone spent a bunch of money/maps/games trying to get a ton of Arcane Mountains, I totally understand. But if they then continued to accumulate those specific stones - to the detriment of others - reasoning that any future Brown/Yellow troops would be overpoweredā€¦ well that starts to creep into ā€œunhealthyā€ territory.

A fabricated example, obviously. But I think it makes the esoteric point.

1 Like

Overwatch has this feature, it is not bad. To clarify overwatch turns the extras into in-game currency that you can use to get other stuff in game such as skins, loot boxes and any other stuff that has no impact on the game. #notsponsered

Sure, I follow completely. Prior to the Ascension mechanic, I too fell victim to dissolving the extras (on console). Many moons ago now, there was even an auto-disenchant setting I could select by card at the time when I first started. Heh, boy did I regret setting that.

Despite ā€˜anyoneā€™ saying donā€™t worry, we will not make an ascension mechanic in the future is perhaps helpfulā€¦ but can anyone really predict the future or assure against the unknowns? You are a dev and are privvy to things in the works, Iā€™m sure.

However, what if there are changes or plans you are not familiar with? What if the cards become a resource of any variety in the future? What if trading is enabled - whether to players or in game vendor or kingdomā€¦ for some yet to be determined reason? What if disenchant values change over timeā€¦ or additional rewards are added when an item is disenchanged (souls today, souls and a trait stone in the future), etc?

It seems to me, as long as the cards can have any kind of value to the player in exchange for - well, anything, you have created an in game currency. Devs can make a change for better or worse in the future to that economy and value of card. Therefore, as currency, players remain incentivized to accumulate them, and only bust them when forced from need.

When you say someone does something ā€˜extremeā€™ with resource accumulation (I paraphrase), I guess you could limit by resource accumulation capsā€¦ however, the moment you came out with another card or mechanic that required more cumulative resources than what was prior in the game, will you then adjust the cap? Even if you did instill caps, folks would just build up to the cap, spend only what they needed and then build up to the cap again in anticipation of whatever was coming next. Itā€™s the nature of growth, accumulation and progression based systems.

I wonder, letā€™s say you had 100 billion US dollars. Would you at that point say, meh, Iā€™m done. I donā€™t need anymore, and then just start depleting itā€¦ or, would you say - as long as I can earn, I want to earnā€¦ just in case?

Afterall, what you have here is a game with endless investment potential from resourcesā€¦ you are only limited by your imagination of things for players to spend currency on. Games of past have shown us that folks will even spend real money on shiny horse armorā€¦ LOLā€¦ whatā€™s to say the next thing to spend resources on in Gems of War isnā€™t new art or armorā€¦ or skins for the cards we already use? Thusā€¦ unless we can predict the future, why not accumulate as much and as often as we can - even in game?

cheers,

[quote=ā€œTactica, post:59, topic:9177, full:trueā€]Thusā€¦ unless we can predict the future, why not accumulate as much and as often as we can - even in game?
[/quote]

We want folks to have healthy lives, not spend 100% of their time playing GoW. Thatā€™s not good for anyone.

When I was in college, there was a thought experiment that made the rounds among my friends. It went like this:

ā€œA stranger walks up to you holding a donkey on a rope. The stranger offers to give you the donkey. Do you take it?ā€

A lot of people immediately said yes, by the simple logic that having a donkey is better than not having one. Regardless of how much or little the donkey is worth, itā€™s more than NOT having the donkey, right?

But thatā€™s a bit of a fallacy - because caring for a donkey is difficult, and college students have no place to keep it. And what if you have a class that day - do you just let the donkey run free during the class? Itā€™s not practical to take on the responsibility of a donkey, since it canā€™t easily be converted into cash. (If you live near a donkey auction house that might be different, but we were college students in the North East.)

2 Likes