2.1.5 Arrives!

I used to, actually. She gives 16 souls per cast. Double necro made that 32, with 8 from the four kills, which is 40. My fastest explore team could consistently do this in under a minute on average.

Agreed, but they seem unwilling to do that. More/better options are still needed. Right now, I’d consider the only conditionally viable “replacement” for valk to be Banshee. However, if Valk kept Necro, she would have always been the best, no matter what other troops were added. Because of the power and utility of the other troops soul gen was given to, as things are now, you still “have” to use Valk (or TDS, and maybe banshee). Valk is just slower now.

At the same time, she kinda needed to lose necromancy or she would have always been the one stop shop. And by that I mean, because they made a pointless change to have necromancy change the cap, she needed to lose it. And by that I mean, there was a whole thread of preemptive complaining that everyone will still have to use Valk because she had necromancy and would still be sooo much better than everyone else. If necromancy had just been changed to something unaffected by soul generators (such as +2 souls per kill as I suggested), then every single necromancy troop would gain a bit of extra souls just for being on the team. It would have been a buff disguised as a nerf, rather than a nerf disguised as a buff.

2 Likes

What percentage of people need those souls?
What percentage only need some souls?

Why not keep them both happy and keep valkyrie as useful while increasing options?

Why not keep everyone happy and remove soul generators and give the same valkyrie level rewards to all troops?

3 Likes

Excellent post.

Why is iOS still down? Apple push it through already!

Nerfing Valkyrie to make the other junk cards more relevant is the worst possible excuse for a nerf.

What orangutan is going to start using these daft troops for 25% of less than optimal souls :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

We’ve actually discovered a small problem with the way Necromancy is working at 25%, so we’re going to revert that to 50% for now (update will happen a little later today). We’ll keep a close eye on that though, and we may push it down to 25% later

3 Likes

Pretty much nobody. But only because the troops suck. There was mention of an upcoming legendary having a soul trait, and this seems like a partially preemptive strike.

I happen to agree with you in that the whole necromancy thing is a straight nerf. However, because this nerf is now in place, maybe we can try to build toward some actual variety. It would have been better if they put out more viable alternatives before nerfing (other than TDS), but the result now is that more viable alternatives can exist.

The problem with Necromancy as a whole is that you need a soul generator to take advantage of it. Even at its old 50%, the gains were simply too small otherwise. The troops that currently have it are not only not that great overall for the most part, but also have very little synergy with any of the current soul generators. Necromancy was pretty much only relevant because it was on Valk (and in certain instances, KoS and Death, who could be combined with Valk/Spider). Now that it isn’t, it is basically irrelevant and everyone just kinda has to suck up gains being overall lower. More necromancy options doesn’t really help much when baseline gains are so low and they aren’t good and don’t synergize with any of the soul generators. More generators (even small, more prevalent, and most importantly passive gains that you don’t have to go out of the way to get) and more baseline gains would do something for actual variety. Lets hope it won’t take another two years for this to happen.

3 Likes

Even he looks too intelligent to celebrate a nerf.

1 Like

Well, yes, I agree, but that’s not why we’re doing it.
We’re nerfing Valkyrie because she has an unhealthy rate of play - we keep hearing how people are sick of having to use Valkyrie, and given the rate of play below, we feel it’s time for her to take one for the team.

These are PvP usage stats over the various level ranges (over the past 30 days). As you can see, we’ve been getting things much more evenly balanced in the last few months… except for that Valkyrie!

13 Likes

Sirrian please Sir, she happens to also be one of the best blue mana generators in the game. Which hasn’t been met by any of the troops you all have brought out. She still wins out over them. Yes this might offer some variety, but in my team i’m still going to use her, as probably others will too. You wouldn’t use Valkyrie if you didn’t need her period, not even about the souls. Why tackle this now as opposed to later when you all could have a much better solution?

Furthermore you all have the cold hard data so I ask, from the looks of it are too many people just swimming in souls?

Also in almost every OTHER situation where a nerf has come into play, you all (the devs) have very carefully handled it. Studied it at length before making a play. Why does this seem like a split second decision? It just feels like a straight nerf with no useful alternatives. No new useful troops, no positive alternatives.

5 Likes

None of the Guardians on that graph… Yet…

With all due respect, @Sirrian, this the worst way to balance. You should buff other cards to make her non-essential, not nerf her and give us lousy alternatives. It could have been an exciting change and made the game more interesting but instead, it feels like you’ve all decided you didn’t like us playing with the toy you’d given us so instead of giving us equal or better toys, you just took our toy away. I’m, obviously, not happy with the change as it directly effects the teams I loved using and gives me no good alternatives. Please rethink this decision and soon.

4 Likes

All that chart says to me is the soul supply vs demand is way off.

Why not remove soul generators and provide 8-10 souls per kill for all troops, for a max of 32-40 per match (including summons etc)? Then keeping the necromancy trait on certain troops for bonuses.

Including other similarly useful new troops would also tear Valkyrie down.

Nerfing the best option for souls, when there is a clear supply and demand issue, and providing extra souls on joker cards just to increase their usage?

You know its daft. I know you know it’s daft. @HKdirewolf knows you know that I knew you know.

5 Likes

This is the biggest thing.

1 Like

I’m sorry but that’s a load of crap. If that’s the case how many other cards are going to be slapped because people are actually using them? I’ve never seen a game that nerfs as much as this one.
Hey everyone we’re giving you a great card… for a month. Jokes on you.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but your “load of crap” call is a load of crap. She has higher play rates than anything else by FAR because of how many people (almost everyone) needs souls and were entirely reliant on her to get them.

Ever looked at a little game called League of Legends?

Valkyrie has been out since release, I’m pretty sure. She has been around for FAR more than “a month” and has this rate of play since the first rays of sun peaked over the mountains of Krystara.

2 Likes

Valkyrie: let’s give her a run down. Arguably best blue mana generator in the game. Most used/best troops in the game right now? Blue mana. (Emperor, mab, crimson bat, etc) Case closed.

1 Like

Well I’m so tickled you’re happy with the change.
I couldn’t care less about your opinion. I have my own. You disagree? Great have a party!
IT’S A LOAD OF CRAP!

2 Likes

Nope. Valkyrie is from Stromheim, which is not one of the original 15 kingdoms, it was introduced some months later.

Also, what’s being nerfed here is her trait, which was clearly not present when she came out, it was only introduced much later in 1.0.8.

3 Likes

I’m cautiously excited about the Valkyrie change. I always felt guilty about making teams without Valkyrie.

Nobody’s mentioning the task system but it’s supplying me with a lot of souls. A reduction in the # of souls coming out of matches won’t hurt as much as it would have a few weeks ago.

Even if the whole thing turns out to be a nerf to souls, if my general experience is better (more fun) because I experiment more… then I’m happy.

6 Likes