100 things you wish you knew about Gems of War [DONE]

Thanks @Ashasekayi for the wicked new video thumbnails. She designed them from scratch and they look great. This is turning out to be a good community effort. I feel shame for I have forgotten many shoutz and 'gratz but they will not remain unsaid for long! :flushed:

3 Likes

You’re welcome. :smiley:

Thank you for adding some great videos that help the new players. I’m sure they will help grow the game.

2 Likes

@Illithid @Lyya

Yes, I recall a post from Mr. strange a long time ago justifying the reason for the change in the 4&5 matches. He also made a number others too, mostly very small. I would say them majority were positive for the player. i.e. Like on Invades you get a random Traitstone, that sort of thing. ALL were undocumented to the public (at first).

@Ashasekayi

Very nice thumbnail!

1 Like

Since it was mentioned I’ve been watching and I think it’s a good thing that 4 matches don’t proc surges. Otherwise game-breaking looping would be possible I think (from both the user and AI end)

“Game-breaking” loops are possible without 4-match surges. It all depends on your definition of “game-breaking” (and your patience to loop endlessly!).

1 Like

Thanks @Strat :smile_cat:

Patience, that’s what I mean. Its bad enough from an emotional perspective when the computer goes on a berserk run, but 4-bangers giving surges would make a bad situation feel even worse.

All around I think it would just further compress battles and make them even more one-sided for whichever side got the jump. Not good from a game experience standpoint. Just my opinion.

@KrudlerTheHorse @Lyya
I don’t want to interrupt this theoretical discussion. But… considering everyone posts about the smallest thing they perceive that is wrong with the game and this has been un commented on for over a year…

Please don’t gatekeep. These are forums, which are for discussing.

I think you completely mis-understood me, my bad I usually keep it excessively short.

What I mean is that if this would be a massive game breaking problem then console players would haven be filling the forums with posts for over a year about how broken it is, morning, noon, and night every day.

@KrudlerTheHorse please edit your first post in this topic so that it contains the videos you made all together with the summary/list of things they need to know - so that new players can access all they need without trying to get through all the spam :wink:

then we could maybe even have it pinned as a guide… in community guides section?

Ok, tomorrow.

Part 3 is up at the top.

@Ashasekayi I’m sorry :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

No worries. :laughing:

Also, I had no idea you could use boolean operators in GoW’s ingame search. Thanks for that tip.

2 Likes

That one was news to me, too. :smiley:

1 Like

As far as I know, I’m the only person to ever figure that out. I even asked @Sirrian about it and he was surprised to find out that it was even possible!

edit: Despite my best efforts, I could not get other BOOLEAN operators to work such as

!=
NOT
!
<>
AND
&
&&
… and pretty much every other combo I could think of…

2 Likes

That’s because boolean operators really shouldn’t work. What about the pipe thing, you ask? Simple answer: It’s RegEx.

Don’t believe me? search for emp.*vash or a{2}.

2 Likes

Very helpful for a newbie, and thanks for the code.

Wow… I know how to to Regular Expressions… time to go insane with testing.

Thanks!

1 Like