1.0.9 Sneak Peek- Frozen

Still every use of Icewitch gives the turn to the opponent, breaking your combo, and leaving the Ice witch with zero mana, no way around it, no matter how good your combos flow, you cant apply frozen more than once per your chain of turns, more likely less than that.

This team also doesn’t really pack a punch.
The Ai using this team, with the possibility of frozen fading the very same turn it is applied, or in a turn when its combo cant fill the Witch(it is the Ai right), frozen being cleansed, Ice Witch being destroyed by spells, or green slime destroyed by skull matches, you will rip this team apart once frozen is off and your whole Team is loaded with mana.
You might even destroy this team, being frozen the whole time, random skull matches would put you ahead 1-2 chain of turns if your team packs a punch, spellactivations might do that too, depending on your teams spells.
Hell i would even activate a Skull spawner as soon as it is loaded while still being frozen just to take out slime at once and leave the whimpy(skulldamage wise) rest of the team.
Let alchemist have one or two skull matches, i wouldn’t mind.

And preventing my opponent from even starting one ! where am I at a loss here?

There still is some dude called Alchemist in there that could fill Ice Witch, although Valkyrie is in the way and won’t fill anyone.

I didn’t actually put much thought in this deck, just reused the old “Slime / Alch / Valk / Banshee” combo and though “Hey, Ice witch uses the same mana as Banshee”, but Banshee just had more synergy in this deck. I wouldn’t post any defense deck I have put a lot of thought in on the forums anyway, I’m not that sympathic :slight_smile:

Actually, Frost Giant could be more interesting when played by the AI :wink:

Oh yes sure, i didn’t comment on the team as an invade team, i find it quite interesting for invading actually, sadly i have no slime, or i would definitely try this one.
But as a defense team, the AI doesn’t become a team combo mastermind just by adding frozen to the mix, though apparently some people seem to think that.

And talking the old classic trinity(valk/alch/banshee), you said it yourself, banshee using the same mana colours, keeping the turn and the combo running, while doing more damage and producing mass red mana is propably a better option in most teams than Ice Witch even with the frozen ability.
There is a reason why trinity isn’t great for defense while being amazing for invading, and for the same reason frozen wont break the game.

1 Like

I’d probably try to combo Celestasia and Ice Witch in some way. Celestasia already tends to get several turns in a row, buffs up her health while doing so and feeds anything positioned after her. She also has access to Agile for extra survivability. Her downfall is the rare occasion when her spell doesn’t auto-chain into the next cast, giving the board of extra turn matches to the opponent. Ice Witch will fix that, control will be back after a single move, no matter how saturated the board is. The remaining two positions should probably go to blue/yellow feeders, like Valkyrie (bonus souls) and Griffon Knight (bonus damage), they’ll grant Celestasia additional extra turns to outheal the occasional skull match.

1 Like

Valkyrie is kinda required at the moment for soul farming, but if we are speaking of defense deck, no.
Then I would go with Alchemist to feed yellows to Celestia AND (in best case scenarios) to the Ice Witch too !

I suspect that would be less efficient. My approach tries to feed excess mana from Celestasia to the remaining two troops (yellow for Valk, blue for Griffon Knight), which in turn directly feed back blue/yellow to Celestasia, The other colors (red for Valk, brown for Griffon Knight) are just to get the feedback loop started in case the board is unfavorable. The AI will pick up any extra turn matches from Celestasia prior to activating spells, often wasting a lot of mana doing so. This build stores the extra mana, allowing Celestasia to get refueled whenever she runs out of power. Just theorycrafting though.

1 Like

This is fundamentally flawed because I would think you’d want to take the four of a kind just for the extra mana anyway, regardless of whether you get an extra turn or not. The extra turn is icing on the cake, so to speak, but passing up a 4+ in favor of a 3+ is dumb, just looking at it from a mana viewpoint (and barring any other factors, such as setting up opponent skull matches, but that’s going into too many "what ifs). And getting your guys powered up is still important.

LOL. I would have equated it to a first turn 20 point Fireball :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Nimhain
Not sure why no one noticed it yet, but I’m pretty sure the “Peak” in the post title should be spelled with double E “Peek” :no_mouth:

I guessed it was a play on words. Peak = Snow => Frozen. Dunno

Dear dev-team, please reconsider these change. I wanted to write a huge post, where i repeat many of the good arguments already made by others. After many attmepts to write and delete my post and start againt i came to one essential point, why in my opinion, this spell (in his current state) should not be part of the game.

What is the “core” mechanic of the game?
The player collects mana by matching 3, 4 or 5 gems to collect mana for spell usage or matching 3,5 or 5 skulls to deal damage to the first enemy card. If you match 4 or 5 gems/skulls you get an guaranted extra turn!!! That is the game in a nutshell.

“Frozen” shatter and destroy the core mechanic.
Where the the goblin and skeleton teams are just a result of recently added content (goblins mainly because of team bonuses and skeleton/kos teams beacuse of kindoms bonuses), the frozen-effect deny the core rule of a guaranted extra turn for the player.

1 Like

Nope, there’s a catch. You will never get a mana surge from a 4-match, so the base value is always 4. Factoring in your masteries, a 3-match will on average grant more mana than a 4-match once your surge chance reaches 34%. It’s really the extra turn that makes the difference.

Of course while frozen you might take the 4 of a kind. But in current play you would also get the extra turn causing you to negate the point of the test. Technically either way is partially flawed (a requirement of testing something in approximate), but losing your turn is more important than +1 mana (thanks @Fourdottwoone for the details on that). If you just want to pick apart the example of how you can see this in action today feel free, but be honest about your unwillingness to actually test the affect before hand. People are saying wait and see. I am saying you don’t have to. With some common sense applied you can see the effect today.

We are talking 9 mana to charge currently. That is 3 matches with no surge and no banner. That is 2 matches with a surge. That is 2 matches without a surge and with a +2 banner. That is 1 match with a surge a +2 banner and a perk that increases mana gain by one (not exactly hard to find those perks). Lets not pretend you are going to dish out 35+ points of damage before they match any of those conditions. I pull the 35+ based on stormheim teams I have fought recently and their rough health levels.

-Razlath

Yep it is about the same amount of mana a skeleton/trueshot team needs to kill the first troop(two troops if the skullspawns are lucky), so how is being frozen instead worse than that?

That being said, manacosts can still be adjusted, if it turns out to be to cheap in actual play.

Skeleton used to cost 9 mana, now it’s 10 for a reason (no easy one turn charge anymore).
Besides, as opposed to Skeleton, Ice Witch has Magic Link herself making it muc easier to have a one turn charge in place.

As for how is Skeleton’s spell working when facing an Ice Witch… Depends who plays witch team, but Skeleton would most likely have to wait until Frozen dispells if he doesn’t want it to backfire…

So would 10 or higher be a manacost at which you’d be ok with frozen or are you just deflecting?
Cause if manacost really is the problem all is peachy as i can deal with 10+ mana for the spell, i am expecting mana adjustments anyway before any of that goes live.

As for skeleton facing Ice Witch, i wasn’t actually making that statement, i was just pointing out that there is already some nasty stuff in the game you can do with 9-ish mana.

Anyways i think the disconnect between us is that i view the frozen effect as a new option for my invade teams, new fun stuff to deal with nasty metas, while you view it mainly as a tool for the AI to ruin your game experience, a danger i don’t really fear so much as it already has options for that (imagine a trinity setup played by the AI actually working the team combos, effectively ending your games after three turns, as the AI never misses anything) but gladly doesn’t use

We’ll give them the benefit of the doubt… tho me suspects typo… given the text further down has ‘peeks’ spelled correctly…

…I have corrected it in the title…

2 Likes

So when all of your troops are silence (TSO enemy cast) and you keep matching gems, but you get no mana because you are silenced. Has that broke the game? I don’t see no one crying about it. Everyone is exaggerating so much, we haven’t even seen frozen in play. If you think that your playing will be massively disrupted with frozen, just play with cleanse units, or units with immunity, and you have solved your frozen problem. When you are silenced you can’t cast to cleanse, frozen doesn’t restrict you to do that. Core mechanics. . Dealing skull damage and casting spells is also core mechanics, and we have both entangle and silence preventing those 2, yet no one was concerned about those 2 status, what’s everyone’s problem with frozen. . We have devour troops who can eat enemy troop absorbing their hp/shield/attack, but frozen is the scariest thing ever. .

2 Likes

That only means you came too late to the party. Apparently before his nerf TSO was indeed a game breaker:

Since then there was another reason added why TSO is even less of a problem. With the boost to stats, skull damage is now much more important than spell damage, and silence can’t protect you from that. I have won multiple PVP matches without even firing a spell once.

For the exact same reason you would think entangle should be OP. The reason it isn’t is because it’s only effective on the first troop, which means it only works 25% of the time for both random entangle and AI targeted entangle. Now, if you could entangle any random enemy and still get the same effect, don’t you think there would be an outcry?

Well. Entangle SHOULD be way more powerful than it is. As far as I’m concerned it’s broken and needs to be fixed.

Entangle teams should be a very viable and powerful team for the meta, but they are pretty much worthless instead. If you couldn’t tell this annoys me to no end.

1 Like

So… we did a little work on Frozen.
Read about it here: 1.0.9 Sneak Peek – Frozen Revisited – Gems of War

3 Likes