The problem with FROZEN status

I don’t have a problem with frozen status… the current state was watered down from the original plan… it’s annoying but not game-breaking… let’s not water it down any more…

3 Likes

I’m not asking for it to be watered down, I’m asking for it to make sense.

If the mana collected actually hits the frozen troop, great. But having a frozen troop of that color anywhere on the team shouldn’t end the turn.

1 Like

Shouldn’t? Subjective. Sound fine to me. It’s magical frost effect. Who cares.

but if they do it the frozen status will suck and noone will use it cause it won’t worth it.
I like it the way is… espacialy against goblins team and the kracken valk justice mab team. I can’t imagine waiting 2-3 min cause ai keep looping

1 Like

It’s a computer program. Shouldn’t isn’t subjective when you’re talking about logic as it applies to variable A but not to variable B. Troop 1 sits linear in front of Troop 4. If 100% of a move is absorbed by Troop 1, invoking a status effect on Troop 4 makes absolutely zero sense.

This kind of loophole logic is part of the reason this game has gotten increasingly out of control in recent months as more and more of these “superpowers” reveal unintended consequences that result in more and more power creep.

As for the who cares comment, I take it you’ve given up? Because that’s a 180-degree change from where you were about 8 months ago.

What are you talking about? Frozen status would still work exactly like it does 75% of the time. Because most of the time, the frozen troop is the one blocking the mana.

I’m talking about a specific circumstance that doesn’t happen often but belies a much bigger issue.

1 Like

Sorry but nothing about this is unintended. This is literally how revised frozen was described at its introduction. And there really is no objective logic to how a computergame magic effect should work.

Interesting. Because the OFFICIAL description posted earlier in this thread says something else entirely.

The Frozen 2.0 1.0.9 sneak peek says, and I quote:

Frozen is a new status effect. Any TROOP (note, emphasis is their’s not mine) which is Frozen can’t earn extra turns until is is Cleansed.

When the troop receiving 100% of the mana is not frozen and does not generate an extra turn because someone behind him of the same color is frozen, it is not working as the DEVELOPERS said it should.

Try again.

And just so it’s clear, you can compare that to the original text that create the outcry and subsequent change.

Nope I’m not with you. Your logic isn’t logical to me in this case. You’re applying your way of thinking and assuming its incontrovertible to others. You’re reading an intended theme or consequence that others aren’t reading and devs probably didn’t mean. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying it’s not clearly cut.

In this case, whether logic or theme applies or not, I also think that amending the frozen mechanic as you and the OP suggest would not be a net improvement in gameplay. I don’t think there’s a problem that needs fixing here.

Edit: in the screenshots and definitions you reproduce above, there is an ambiguity. The stated meaning mismatches with the first stated example (the blue troop one) in the same text box. But I don’t think your corrective interpretation is the only one: to me it’s just as likely that the example is right for what the devs wanted, not the introductory statement.

Actually my logic coincides exactly with what the developers told us Frozen would be. See posted graphic above.

It’s not currently working as they said it should. In fact, it’s working more like they wanted it to work initially, before the entire community folded up their arms and said “no”.

The bottom line here is that all of these status effects need to be less arbitrary. How many posts a week do we get about “on skull matches” versus “on skull damage”?

The devs could do us all a favor and apply some consistency.

Nothing to try, look at the very first example, making it abundantly clear that 4-matches of any frozen colour do not generate extra turns regardless of what troop is frozen.
It got also explained at length in the annnouncethread back then, and while you may find it unintuitive (arguably a valid point to discuss, which also did happen at length in that announce thread), it is absolutely not unintended in any way, but exactely how it was intended at its inception.

1 Like

The first example is a general statement. It does not say “if you have ANY blue troop frozen” you won’t get any turns. It’s non-specific.

The statement of description is VERY specific, in fact it capitalizes the word “troop”.

So if you’re going to hold up the first example as being intended behavior then again we have a problem because that means there’s a contradiction in the graphic itself.

I’m also not talking about the situation presented by the OP. The only time I have an issue with frozen is when the mana fills troops ABOVE the frozen troop. In the OP case, mana had to pass through the frozen troop, even though it was charged, blocking the extra turn. I have no problem with that.

Like i said, if you’d argue that revised frozen is unintuitive, that would be a valid point for discussion, but it’s a discussion that did happen at day one of its introduction, resulting in the Devs explaining the effect at length and in detail making it absolutely clear that any frozen troops manacolours would count as frozen generally.
So is it arbitrary/complicated? Sure, but the way it works is simply 100% not unintended.

1 Like

I guess it was intended…

try again

4 Likes

Damn you didn’t have to do him like that Ricky…

i agree with you that the current frozen mechanic is working as intended and is unintuitive

but i dont agree that it should be kept the way it is.

i know changing it to more intuitive (the way @htismaqe explained) would mean freeze getting a nerf, however i believe making this effect more intuitive and to seem to make much more sense would actually benefit for the game. just count how many forum users who speak against the nerf actually speak against any game mechanic complications that would couse confusion? freeze IS cousing confusion. making it right would not be a bad step even considering the nerf consequences.

2 Likes

This.

I’m not interested in re sparking the debate. I already made my point and it wasn’t well-accepted, so be it.

Like @Annaerith, I believe the Devs could do themselves a big favor, and cut down on these kinds of complaints, if they’d just do a little cleanup once in a while. In this case, it appears just re-iterating the information @Rickygervais posted would be extremely helpful since it was posted before I started coming here (and I’ve been here a while). I would still argue it should be changed but that’s a different argument at this point.

2 Likes

i don’t think frozen “fix” will work in my favor (or anyone else). Imagine dealing with the usual ek, valk, justice, mab team. Imagine how they can make the match lengthy even more just because you failed to freeze Justice.

1 Like