Is people so used to win that a few losses is too much?

If it werent for the few losses I got in GW, a win would never felt the way it does. Imho any losses I have had against CPU is deadly ugly. But I rather prefer that than not have the chance to lose at all.

2 Likes

I agree with you on the importance of losses, i disagree with you on the way the AI should be able to deal those losses to us.

5 Likes

I would love to lose based on strategy. I hate when I lose based on a coin flip.

3 Likes

I agree that losses are necessary to give wins more value but I want be beaten by a better player/team NOT by a coin flip mechanic.

4 Likes

As a level 1000+ end-gamer in a top guild, what would that better player/team look like?

Semi-unrelated story: I was doing a PVP battle yesterday. Iā€™m on PS4 and it is divine week and someone had put up a team with Gard and Mercy. I countered with a similar setup, thinking that I would be able to use my Mercy first to fill my yellow troops, strip their armor, etc. In the first few rounds, there was no good alignment of purple/yellow, so I held off casting, while very carefully manipulating the board with each move so as not to leave a good set-up for them. A couple times, I even managed to set-up what should have left a 4-match yellow for me when the AI foolishly cast Mercy at a bad time (as it always does). But the AI waited 6 turns to cast their empowered Mercy, at a time when an unexpected yellow/purple drop set up a 5-match for them. They got their Gard up and stripped the armor off of mine and Rowanne before I was able to counter. For a little while, it felt just like I was playing against a real person.

Later, it happened again, but a little less dramatically. In a third match, the AI cast Mercy at a bad time and I was able to take advantage. Anyway, the improved decision making on the Unity AI should make things a little more interesting. It doesnā€™t always do the right thing, but there are times when it genuinely makes the game more fun.

2 Likes

I also wants to be beaten by a CPU that has the right to start first.

Great story @Stan!

That battle must have felt epic and the lossā€¦ worthwhile. If that same story ended with them filling their Kerby first who procd on your Gard and the immediately filled again and procd again for 100% rate on your Rowanne, that loss would have felt like CRAP!

1 Like

I did actually come back to win that one, but it was around the third turn of me trying to manipulate them into something and it failing that I really felt like I was in a good fight. Then, when it finally dropped in their favour and they pounced? It was just too good. Luck still determined the outcome, but it felt fair.

1 Like

That right there sums up what all of these threads are about. Losses that feel fair. Nobody minds losing but the game has to feel fair.

Well said! :wink:

2 Likes

About the coin toss to determine the game starter:
That game is already to randomā€¦ this would make it even worse.

If people really want the coin toss, then please make it an option on the settings screen, because I would not want that at all.

If you like it, you can turn it on.
And it wonā€™t bother anyone who doesnā€™t want it.

win win

1 Like

I just want a casual match 3 game, Iā€™m not looking for something competitive.
To me, this is a simple relaxing time-waster, like doing Sudoku or playing Bejeweled.

If the game gets hard, Iā€™ll quit.

Thatā€™s not an ultimatum, thatā€™s just a fact of how I will spend my stress-free time.
If the majority of customers who spend moneyā€“not sure anyone else mattersā€“wants a hard/harder game then obviously thatā€™s what the team should do.

My investment in this game has already increased due to GW, so this game is borderline asking me to quit already.

Of course I could just stop playing GWā€¦but if I am also supposed to stop playing PvPā€¦what would be the point of GoW? I already ignore Arena and Treasure Mapsā€¦why not find a game where I enjoy all of the content?

I can agree that taking a slightly lower win rate in exchange for seeing different teams in PVP would be nice. But not that I want to lose 30% of my matches to see that happen.

6 Likes

For me, I actually want that challenge.

Easy wins are boring to me, having to pause and think carefully about my team before entering a match, then seeing two moves ahead throughout the battle - that to me is exciting.

Perhaps I am alone in this way of thinking, but if I wanted a mindless match, Iā€™d open up explore or TH.

If I scrape in a loss, atleast I know I tried to the end without quitting. Whether itā€™s dumb luck or not, a scraped in loss only makes the scrape in wins feel more victorious :wink:

2 Likes

There used to be a PVP difficulty slider.

The ONE option we have (had) is to set a low-value PVP defense team, but they kind of took that away this week.

As far as I know, that difficulty setting still applies to casual matches. Does anyone play casual? If not, what would they need to add to casual matches to get people to play them?

@Lyya Someone on another tread posted how tons of people play casual PvP all the time. Iā€™ve never ever once heard any mention of it in my Guildā€¦

But you never know.

What incentive is there to play Casual?

Never once played Casual, and do not intend to ever as the rewards cannot compare to ranked.

Personally, I have never felt that the casual difficulty was any different from ranked. Aside from the intimidation factor ("OMG ranked?! Iā€™m being graded?" ) I donā€™t know why anyone would intentionally elect to play casual games.

2 Likes

Who doesnā€™t want to fight DK/F/D/F on warlord IV where they have 300 health?

2 Likes

they should switch those 2. make pvp as casual and casual pvp as ranked pvp for hardcore players that want the challenge and make name in this game. maybe upped the trophy and glory accordingly.

because i do pvp only for the rewards to fulfill guild requirement most of the time. rarely doing it for the challenge they were supposed to have. i donā€™t care about having people know how unbeatable i am or how good i am at facing challenge in this game. iā€™m there for the loot. iā€™m sure iā€™m not alone.

The only time I play casual if Iā€™m trying to get the last batch of snotstones relatively quick. Iā€™ll just cycle thru battles at 50 gold each time until I get one that offers 3 or 4.

1 Like