Is people so used to win that a few losses is too much?

The chief advantages are:

1. that you can refresh your options for a small amount of gold, rather than using gems; and
  2. When you find a very easy opponent, you can crank up the difficulty to multiply the gold received.
    Even with that, I almost never play casual.

casual are slightly easier (and less gold)

i also sometimes used it to test teams vs specific setup since i could reroll with gold to find them

I will start off by saying I don’t mind losing a battle here and there, it is part of any game. However with that being said RNG or AI needs to change. Just this week I had death mark instantly kill 3 of my troops before I even got a turn, also had Kraken devour an impervious troop. During GW the enemy hero never shows up, just his armor at the end of the battle. Which is kind of creepy if you ask me. But if the RNG or AI doesn’t change soon, I think I am going to call it quits. It feels like the game is just plain broken at times. Keep in mind I don’t mind losing a battle, that is not the issue, but when impervious troops get devoured and death mark instantly kills 75% of your troops it makes the game unbearable and broken. This has happened a few times now. Not to mention the AI NEVER misses a match 4 or skull match. I have also noticed other odd occurrences that happen such as Kraken’s tentacles not working on match 4’s I make, but always works when the AI matches, sometimes gold doesn’t get added when I get a match 4 as well.

1 Like

I assume your impervious troop was stunned when it was devoured and as for the DM proc on 3 troops all at once the simplest solution would be to stun DK before you kill him. I know that isnt a perfect solution because it sometimes just doesnt work out right but the devs have already said that DM will be nerfed next update anyway.

I also assume that kraken was stunned. Which would cause tentacles to not work

Um, impervious makes a troop impervious to stun. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

Lolololololol you’re right im a dummy lol

Garsh i feel foolish lol

Don’t worry, I’ve done the same thing plenty of times. If you want, we can both delete our posts and erase all evidence that this ever happened.

2 Likes

Lol nah not necessary. Its good for me to be humbled from time to time… Keeps my ego in check (kinda)

2 Likes

Kraken is thick headed, cannot be stunned, and you cannot stun impervious troops, hence impervious. Either he looked at it wrong or it really was a bug.

He didn’t explicitly say that his Kraken was traited, but there are some known bugs there. Sometimes I don’t see animations when tentacles activates, and sometimes I see extra animations (similar to when an AOE spell is cast) when it does.

That is my favorite when that happens, kraken is one of my favorite troops, get a good loop team and you can kill the team all by cascades.

My Kraken is fully traited, so is Behemoth, both are impervious. The DM match had no stunned cards but none were impervious either. I am just seeing an increase in major game changing bugs and certain events not happening that are supposed to. I have spent a decent amount of money on this game, but for now my wallet is sealed shut, until I see some major improvements. It seems like ever since GW was introduced so was a huge amount of bugs, prior to GW the game seemed nearly flawless.

1 Like

I agree it’s a bug if your Kraken is Impervious.

It can and will be deathmarked.

Also, the ghost armour and nude hero graphic glitchs have been around for a long time, well before guild wars.

2 Likes

They could start by upping the rewards to be the same at least as normal PvP. For any given score team in casual, you lose 20% of the base gold payout, plus 1 less glory for any given slot, 4 potential seals if you haven’t finished them yet, the ability to get revenge and rival matches, and every battle is worth one trophy. I’m told the “AI combo breaker” is on in this mode, but I really don’t see any difference, its just ranked PvP that you can refresh for gold but get much less rewards.

It has seen some usage as of late with many consecutive events revolving around fighting a specific troop fight for PvP, so you can use it cheaply refresh to hunt down these troops. Still, you are taking a hit in about everything else when you do so.

This almost invariably more trouble than it is worth. Since you lose 20% of your base gold compared to what you would facing the exact same opponent in Ranked with its fixed normal difficulty, and difficulty bonus is additive to other bonuses, a VIP 7 player with 100% gold armor would need to hit Warlord 1 (+50% stats) just to break even on the battle’s payout (250% gold to 300% gold bonus). You could crank it all the way up to Warlord IV for a 20% payout over what you would get in normal PvP… at triple the opponents base stats. You’d be hard pressed for this to actually be beneficial time wise, given the extra amount of health you have to chew through even if the team was “easy” , and even ignoring the loading time of leaving PvP and entering/changing the difficulty.

You basically aren’t rewarded for making the battle harder or slower for casual PvP at all, especially given the “perks” to ranked. If you got all these (minus leaderboard placement rewards) in casual PvP, I’d happily play it exclusively because it wouldn’t mean playing twice as long or putting in much more effort for the same rewards. And then, when I want to push the envelope with a bit harder battles, I simply up the ingame difficulty a bit. I know I still wont be properly rewarded for the extra time expenditure with the in-game difficulty slider, but it beats not even breaking even.

I’d also love to see some mini-game type “rules” for casual PvP that further modify your rewards. For example, start second, gain a reward multiplier. Use a team with all troops matching the day’s GW color, gain a reward multiplier. Doesn’t have to be huge, just enough to not completely take one on the chin for your extra time expenditure. Independent of the event, every week, anytime you want. Things like that.

1 Like

I agree, in almost any circumstance. When there was an epidemic of people putting up single Elspeth defences on PC/Mobile, spamming refresh in Warlord IV casual is probably the obvious response, but one that is clearly not in the spirit of the game.

I like your mini game modifiers! That would definitely spice things up a bit.

As someone who is often a voice on the GW-hate threads, I tend to try to offer constructive criticism and I have NEVER once asked to nerf anything.

Like you, I actually didn’t lose all that much, but I was frustrated at how long the GW fights could take because I wasn’t using a team for optimized damage output but rather optimized for the color of the day.

This was coming from my switching jobs mostly, I didn’t like the added stress of having to spend sometimes an hour plus doing the GW battles, especially since my time was limited the GW battles started cutting into the time I would have been grinding out my Guild reqs for the week.

My second stress in GW was that my losses always came at the hands of RNG-zus. Either there wasn’t the right kind of mana on the board for my color-optimized team or the opponent seemed to get 100% devour chances or DK would kill three troops before I took a turn.

This is where I started realizing my frustration in GW was that GW had turned GoW into a “hardcore” game. And when you look at the majority of hardcore games played at the international level, you get games with no RNG, like Starcraft, Chess or Go. Yes, there is skill in being able to handle a string of bad luck gracefully, but I feel like I’m not rewarded enough for the kind of grief-inducing stress that GW was delivering into my life.

Yes maybe I have psychological issues around gaming to stress myself out this much over a game but I felt responsible to the 29 other people in my guild every time I lost or even every time I won with less than 4 troops! Every little bit counts and my guild was fighting for top 5 status.

I realize 90% of my complaints are about being at the top of the game, because when I dropped out of my guild and joined Dominant, which is way down in the lower brackets, I found GW to be casual and easy again since I was rarely up against anyone fielding the ultimate grief walls.

3 Likes

Kraken isn’t impervious… it’s immune to stun (thick head trait) but has never been immune to devour…

2 Likes

The game doesn’t need to be more difficult. It’s a casual collect-a-thon with RNG at every corner. Losing in this game feels TERRIBLE and winning is always possible if you are lucky and patient enough.

The actual problem is that there has never been a clear enough goal. A light at the end of the tunnel that takes work to get to, and is satisfying once it’s reached (and then a new tunnel after each one is reached). The closest thing would be the difficulty settings. Except that the difficulty settings don’t reward anything unique or- worse yet- efficient.

The dev’s keeps trying to offer variations of PvP but the game is NOT a PvP game, for crying out loud. The closest approximation I can think of as an answer would be MMO raiding. They’re usually not actually difficult. They’re more about gearing up and staying on top of the new content.

2 Likes

I forgot he is not impervious, however I have had his tentacles not work when he has no status effects on him, even though he has all traits. Which is the point I was trying to make, which is I am seeing a lot of traits not working when they should be.

I think we all like "predictability ", because it allows us to outsmart the computer. That is why people are more upset about random deaths.
Kracken is ok, you can predict the spell and put someone Impervious down there OR put a spawned elsewhere to replace the lunch.

Same with Maw. We know , if he fills, he’ll eat someone, and then be done with it.

Kerb would be a lot less frustrating if he was more predictable, like say “Devour first Troop”.
But since he can, on a whim, successfully eat 4 Troops in a row without fail, players go frustrated.
Just like losing to Ă  Deathknight, because , for some reason, it trigger on 2 of your Troops on first turn.

These “rage-quit” “bull****” loss are rare, but it only takes one to disgust and frustrate , and it should be avoided. Avoiding player frustration is the #1 rule of keeping a game thriving.
I don’t think anyone likes losing to dragons. But people don’t get upset over it, because dragons don’t use “randomHAHAyourDeath” mechanics.

1 Like