Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

The thing I wondered about this feature is if it will be in any way like some other browser games where the entire guild is notified when one of its members is currently under attack? I think it would be nice to see some flashing banner from the World Map and/ or in the guild tab; Perhaps in the guild chat as well. I would think there would be a guild log of all battles that occurred which would allow members to avenge their guildmate against all members of that enemy guild by clicking on the link. Naturally, the enemy guild will retaliate. Its just a question as to how often any one member of the guild comes under attack by the other guild on a given day, or week.

Hi, gang.

Pardon the perhaps-odd question, and perhaps somewhat nitpicky, but there is already a game out called Guild Wars (Guild Wars). Is there any legal backlash for using the name “Guild Wars” within this game when there’s already and I believe originally an actual game called Guild Wars?

I’m not, naturally, up and solid on the legalities of using names from existing external sources, such as above, and copyrights, but I’m just curious about this and whether there is a prospective legal issue with this choice of wording.

Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe league system might be implemented,based on guild rank,number of players applied per guild for each week of guild wars or something else. That way we wouldn’t end up fighting battles like 10 active players vs 30 players or 500th guild vs 20th guild. Guilds could go up/down league based upon their past result.

Lady_Kendra,

I know of many games that use “Guilds” and have a “War” type feature in them. I do not think this is a trademark issue, or infringement on their trademark as well.

1 Like

I can understand there being none if each word is separately used, but the whole phrase “Guild Wars” used together is what I’m curious about.

I don’t think it’s an issue. It’s using two words.

They could just as easily use “Fight Club” for this, because it’s obviously not a copy of the movie.

GOW is obviously a different game from Guild Wars.

1 Like

Right now, the game feels like work. I would like it to be fun again.

1 Like

I’ve played a handful of multiplayer card based games, they all seem to get a Guild or Alliance War at some point. Unfortunately most start turning the games into a second job. Requiring alliances to try and login at the same time to compete. Hoarding massive in game currency such as Gems to throw at the screen as fast as possible during War time. I can only hope the game is not going that route, as one of the big draws of Gems of War for me has been how laid back and play at your own pace this game normally is.

A goal card of some sort would be a neat idea. Being able to use duplicate cards or sell extra resources towards an elusive card you would like to have.

Trading, while nice it opens up a lot of issues for Devs. You can bet there will be people exploiting this such as creating numerous accounts to farm for the rarest cards, etc. I am personally against it.

OK COOL! So its just for Intrim and Anonymous?

Probably a good idea, less work that way, Im sure the other guilds will understand…

11 Likes

Rank 1 and 2 in each guild. As in the guildmaster and the colonels :weary:

Edit: I fell for it :weary:

3 Likes

I wondered who would be the first not to get the joke…

5 Likes

Knew it would happen tho lol

If it makes you feel better @Saluki it did make me chuckle when I read it :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to more info next week @Sirrian! Looking interesting so far!

@Sirrian, I have some questions:

• why a guild will not register? There is a fee? You cannot do trophies anymore? You need 30 members?
  • if one guild is registred, the next week it can do the Guild Wars. What happens about recruitement during this week?
  • if I understand well we can attack one guild by day for 6 days. Please tell me that the number of attack on one guild is limited for each member, that it will not be another grinding system where the ones that can play the most will win.
  • will this guild wars not increase the gap between top guilds and other ones? You want to care about 99% of players but it seems that they will not be concerned by this patch… So will we really have some guilds playing this Guild Wars and others looking at them?
4 Likes

I’m as end game as it gets; been playing for almost two years. I also have no problem dropping money on the game (I’m VIP 14, ferchrissakes, possibly the only one there is), and the sole reason I haven’t done Path to Glory is there is no guarantee I will get one of the two cards I’m missing, both of which are mythics. Being able to choose the mythic I want or some sort of crafting system, no matter what it took, would delight me no end, because I would know that eventually, I will get what I’m looking for. Please, @Sirrian, make the lives of those of us with OCD a little easier? :wink:

14 Likes

Good questions, @turintuor

A guild might not register if they’re inactive or just uninterested in guild wars. Or maybe they want a break for a week. ANY guild can register for free, from 1 to 30 players.

A guild can be in a guild war each week. They are free to recruit during the week. We’re still working out the kinks of what happens to new recruits, but I’m leaning towards a period (perhaps lasting the entire length of the current war) that a new recruit is unable to fight. This is to avoid exploits.

We’ll have more on this in an upcoming preview, but basically yes, you are limited to how many attacks you can make each day.

In some ways, every new system added to the game gives top players/guilds a new thing they can accumulate faster than other players. That’s not a reason to NOT add new things though. We’ll try to bolster other areas that new-to-mid-game players need. Really a lot of the guild war system is about measuring yourself against other guilds while trying to fit into everyone’s weekly PvP in a fairly seamless and interesting manner.

23 Likes

This is pretty much everything I need to know.

1 Like

Even if you add my wife’s and my VIP levels together we’re “only” VIP 13 (though I know that’s still not really comparable since VIPs get more expensive each level). I think my max is going to be VIP 8 but I’m waiting on something worth getting me there (I haven’t purchased the Paths for the exact reasons you state).

1 Like

Another OCDer!

3 Likes

It’s always favored the people who sink the most time in it. It’s not that.

It’s that some of us woke up a few weeks ago and realized that we’re not new players anymore, but we’re also not end-gamers in the sense that those before us are either.

We’re stuck in a hole with really no way to get out.