Guild Wars - Sneak Peek I

[quote=“Esoxnepa, post:100, topic:20006, full:true”]First, the communication. I enjoy my guild a great deal. In game chat is poor, and I really don’t want to have to end up on Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Discord, Whatsapp, etc, to enjoy Guild Wars. I know I miss out on a lot of the banter, because I won’t run Whatsapp, but I can deal with that. What I don’t want to see is the need to be going out of game for communication for the guild to be successful at Guild Wars.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this. I finally had to give in and sign up for Facebook last summer so that I could communicate better with my Guild but I really would like to be able to keep the game inside the game, so to speak.

I would like to put my two cents in this very important discussion.

1. Allow players some additional venues to acquire missing cards, mostly the mythics. For p2p players, it might be good to have recurring featured week when a group of cards have higher drop rates than others in the same tier, or even drop exclusively. For instance, a horseman week when mythic drops are limited to one of the four horsemen. For f2p players, it might be feasible to allow a very small chance to acquire mythic and legendary cards through arena. I think it would only require a small modification to the current system.

2. We need to be careful about a crafting system, because it usually encourages more “bad” grinding, which we have plenty already. I am one of those that believes RNG makes a lot of games exciting to play. It is bad already you have to grind for something, worse when that is totally planned!

I much prefer grinding to the feeling that you have zero control at all.

4 Likes

I respect your personal preferences. But when you look at the the card game genre in general, there is a reason why designers choose to implement a large degree of randomness. It is no surprise that the gatcha system is so successful.

I love that idea! I knew some master of efficiency would flesh out this idea a bit more :slight_smile:

Offline collectible card games have inter-player trading and targeted booster packs as a mitigation for the randomness.

9 Likes

Literally took the words out of my mouth…

3 Likes

Troops and traitstones…

6 Likes

This ability alone would most likely guarantee another year+ of play out of me. I’ll let you decide if that’s a good or bad thing. :wink:

3 Likes

That is very true. My point is, many successful online card games have no trading system (for fear of abuse), yet still use a gatcha system, for instance, P&D. To put it bluntly, for many of us, a game should not feel like work. I understand many end gamers are completionist (it is one of the reason why they are end gamers), but there are a lot of people who play games because it is fun, and randomness is a big part of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this game. However, it has become mostly a collection game for me, and I do not have the time to grind for nothing. I love the idea of “something” that will allow players to build towards something else. Put a bit of strategy into it, and the older players who have everything, (or most of everything), will stick around for longer.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but the TIME I am willing to put into playing GoW is hinging on the success of Guild Wars. No pressure devs! :wink:

2 Likes

If they do add some sort of crafting system, it won’t remove the RNG elements. You don’t have to use the crafting system if you don’t want to use it. I know I would only use it sparingly since I prefer not to grind unless it is for something specific that I want that I haven’t been able to get using the regular path.

4 Likes

Point taken. :slight_smile:

But still a worry: This may be regarded as another “privilege” by self proclaimed “non-elitists”. :wink:

I have but one thought on all of this:

You match 'em, I whup 'em.

Well… not so much. I’m in one of the top guilds (Black Dragon, rank 6 right now), we average around 10 Legendary tasks a week, perhaps a bit more. We got one Mythic so far since the Leg. task introduction. My guess is the chance to get it is 1% at best, probably not even that. And since the Mythic you get is random… The crafting mechanism mentioned by @Sirrian almost surely will be more reliable, whatever the details.

More on-topic: I have to say I’m a bit disappointed. Not with Guild Wars, but with this preview. It mostly states the principles (which is very nice) and then says “you’ll have to register your guild. More info yet to come”. I will wait with any opinion on this feature for this “more info”. Hope it’s sooner rather than later :wink:

4 Likes

Was hoping for more info on the guild war system, but looks like this topic got blown up.

Battles are assigned point values
You battle a different guild for 6 days
Guild guardians are some how involved
Some type of restrictions / bonus to kingdom / race / color to shake teams up

1 Like

Don it’s hopeless man, don’t give yourself a headache.

1 Like

Blanket statement, but I see what you’re saying. I play this game because it’s fun, and there are some that still do as well. You find out pretty quickly that if you play this game for rewards, you’ll get pretty disappointed from week to week. I play for the guild/friendship aspect and it’s a match-3 game with deck building. (sorta)

With regard to 1) the issue for me isn’t even rotating exclusivity. I’m level 1080 or so, playing with mostly top 50 guilds or guilds that put in the effort of top-50 guilds so I’ve had a decent amount of resources come my way.

I have 3 mythics, most recently Gard’s Avatar during its exclusive week on PC, the other two were acquired randomly before that. Since then, nothing. No doubles. Not from legendary tasks, nor VIP chests. Nothing. I’ve cashed in every key, every gem, every guild seal.

I could perhaps rationalize resource hoarding for each monthly mythic week if I felt like I was at least seeing a mythic drop every now and again but for me (and I suspect many others) they are empirically just not dropping. Which is entirely in the nature of RNG, I understand, but the devs have made pretty much everything else in this game accessible to FtP players.

The end result is, I think, a feeling that players have that they won’t ever get these cards. Whether that was the devs’ intention or not, that’s how it’s making people feel and they should be aware of that. I found Sirrian’s response quite encouraging and I have no doubt that they will eventually do us a solid

2 Likes

I’m in the #6 guild in game. I earn roughly 11,000 glory a week, roughly 1800 gold keys, put 1,000,000 gold into guild tasks. I get about 400-500 trophies a week. It is difficult to picture how you could gain resources significantly faster.

I haven’t had a mythic drop from any chest since September 8th.

2 Likes