Discussion: Sexuality in GoW

Can we get females that look like
zarya

Mei

I am aware that the female community keeps yelling that they are over sexualized but i do not see the problem do you?

I always played female toons in WoW… Because the sprites were smaller and I found it easier to see what was going on… I loved the Draenei race - and the male sprite is twice the size of the female one! with a male Draenei sprite I couldn’t see what I was fighting half the time…

Men want her, woman want to be her.

I think it’s a myth that women don’t like sexy women characters with the exception of the small minority that are feminists. Fantasy art has always included the sexy scantily clad women, and fantasy art has always been especially popular with women.

1 Like

Well we should take all the young girls aside and tell them “Yes you have to be big breasted and overwhelming sexy if you’re going to grow up to be a Succubus. Any other occupation you’re good to go with what genetics give ya.”
Tongue and cheek. The main problem is too much media. Parents turning the tv on and making it a baby sitter. I watch it maybe a couple of times a year. Growing up we watched it maybe an hour at night. If we caught the news. Media likes pushing the envelope. A little more skin equales higher ratings which in turn means more money. Tv has made extreme and bad behavior seem normal. It makes stupidity valuable. Sensationalism showcased in even the news. Educational shows are ignored in favor of ones like Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer. This also includes games and magazines.
Bottom line is we are the only ones responsible for what enters our home and how much value we place on it.
I believe sex does sell otherwise it wouldn’t be used to target Any demographics. You use tools in marketing that work.
A car commercial showing the outside of the car. Flash to the legs of a girl in a short dress. Outside of the car then her lips or eyes. They sure as heck aren’t saying buy this car it gets great mileage.

Yes, it’s a myth that feminists don’t like sexy women. Many women, at least at some point in their lives, want to look or feel sexy. However, there’s a subtle but important distinction between sexy person and sexual object. Sexiness is an empowering trait, similar to any other valuable trait, such as strength or intelligence, whether it comes from genetics or effort. Really, it’s not even about the sexual element of it – it’s about whether the depiction recognizes the person as a person, not a collection of traits or skills or body parts.

Or to put it another way, does it seem like the depiction is of a character with interesting or valuable traits, or are the traits themselves the focus, and the character’s there just to have something to hang them on, out of sheer necessity? Women are often presented in unnatural poses that make it clear the focus is on their sexual traits, rather than it being a picture of a beautiful woman, doing something relevant to the context of the setting. It’s the artist’s intent that matters, and while everyone may interpret a piece of art differently, I think it’s unreasonable to suggest that the artist’s intent had no surviving impact on the piece, that it’s impossible to even guess at it.

3 Likes

I don’t believe in the distinction between sexy person and sexual object, or at least not in most cases. Nearly every women’s magazine cover shows them in skimpy dresses bearing cleavage with their best sexy look. Almost all the sexy selfies from the kardashians to every C list movie or music star is the same way if not more extreme.

You may not perceive a distinction, but other people do, and it affects them. If there is a level of consistency in their perceptions beyond what would be explained by random chance, doesn’t that suggest that there is in fact a detectable distinction? I’m not aware of any particular studies on it, but it seems like it would be worth exploring if it hasn’t been.

Perception doesn’t equal reality necessarily.

They must be a small minority and that concern is of no importance to enough women so that magazine covers are women magazines and selfie absorbed celebrities don’t care. And if women don’t care, then the “feminist” outrage should be directed to other women and leave us poor men out of it. If you could convince women to change, and men after do not, then you may have a point.

1 Like

And I allowed for that possibility. But it really doesn’t matter, because people respond to their perceptions of reality, not reality itself. They share their perceptions with other people, and form a consensus reality detached from the physical one. That’s the world we collectively live in, and technology has only allowed us to further distance ourselves from real-world consequences. We increasingly determine as a group the consequences that are attached to a particular action, with natural consequences becoming increasingly irrelevant.

1 Like

I agree. Perception is reality, for all practical intents and purposes, as all of reality comes to us via our senses, and we have no means to differentiate between what we perceive to be real and what is, in fact, absolute truth. All we can do is guess at our limitations and try to extrapolate at truths unknown to us.

2 Likes

sexy person = a human with agency that happens to be perceived as sexy by someone
sexual object = person/thing used only for the sexual gratification of someone else… zero agency

4 Likes

Women used to not be treated as sex objects, so what changed? Bra burning sexually liberated feminists. It’s not that I don’t understand your points, but this is really just a “feminist” civil war that doesn’t have anything to do with men and their opinions on how women should be looked at.
The sexism in this topic is sexism against men, because men are being blamed for a problem that was created and has been perpetuated by women.

1 Like

Are you being serious? Women have been treated like actual objects/property since the beginning of time across various cultures. You know, those fathers that sold their daughters into marriages, etc.

That’s a nice strawman you have built there. It won’t work though in this particular discussion since the vast majority of commenters in this thread have stated that GoW artwork is mostly decent and none of them went on a “ermahgahd feminazi” rant. Nice try though.

5 Likes

It’s not just a strawman (nobody in this conversation has made the claims he’s purported have been put forth), but also a reductive fallacy. “Women” don’t blame “men.” This is about humans arguing for humanization across both genders.

5 Likes

I take Lindsey Stirling’s advice: When I’m in a club I look for the most enticing woman on the floor, the one who has the most men gathered around her, and then I look to her left to find the one who is dancing harder and faster than she is.

Same principle applies in gaming.

Buff Dokkalfar.

2 Likes

I concur, enhance Dokkalfar.

And make him buff too, why not?

I feel that apothecary’s character art is a direct result of this thread. Congrats op. Mission accomplished.

4 Likes

No way. Production pipelines are simply not this short. They would have had this planned for a while.

Kudos to the devs here.

5 Likes