Devs, enough is enough, Communicate!

Hey, thanks everyone!

It’s nice to hear from you all… as I said, I really love most of the community, and would happily hang out and talk with you all for hours.
The people who cause the trouble are NOT you guys! Not at ALL. But the internet being what it is, there is no wall we can put up to keep the crazy out, and that level of crazy can honestly wear you down. We’re absolutely going to try and find ways to deal with that better in the future, but at the moment, the best solution I have is to limit my time (and for Nimhain to limit her time) in the community while we get the next phases of Gems of War released.

The internet just has so many people of ALL types, and some will go from 0 to 9001 in a single interaction without ever trying to engage us in a dialog. If they did TALK to us, they would find that EVERY single one of us here wants nothing more than to make an awesome game that is the best possible thing we can collectively make… and I think almost every game dev team I have ever worked in or talked to is identical in that respect. Just know two things about all these teams:

1. When we screw up, it’s generally not because we’re incompetent or lazy… it’s because we’re ambitious, optimistic, and trying to juggle a lot of difficult tasks at once. Every engineer in the games industry is here because he/she loves their job - even though they almost certainly have the skills to be earning twice as much somewhere else.

2. When we don’t answer your questions directly… we’re not avoiding you, or ignoring you - it’s entirely possible we’re trying desperately to finish our work, or design a new thing (or fix a screw-up… see #1 above!!!). That’s why Ms. Salty is here, to make sure there always is a conduit for your voices to reach us, and vice versa.

And, you know, I think most of you guys here probably KNOW all that. It’s really there for any of the 0-to-9001 folks on the off chance they might read it and realise there is a better way to work with us than just yelling & threatening!

Have a great day everybody! I’m off to continue work on the crafting system… nothing quite ready to share yet, as I’m still working on some of the details involving how we select which Mythics are available for crafting at any given time (since offering them ALL is something that’s not going to scale well as we move forward).

38 Likes