A Week at the Top

Well, we are discussing the current system. In the current system, the AI follows predictable steps. It isn’t anywhere close to being comparable to a human competitor. We have a game where most mid-game players and up have 99% win rates.

This isn’t a problem for me. I play GoW because it is a relaxing match-3 game. I have no desire or need for leaderboard epeen wars. So, I have no issue with the AI as it is. I’m just pointing out that the people that want true “competition” are going to be disappointed until real PVP comes to the game.

2 Likes

I believe when @Ashasekayi refers to AI she is referring to what is there at present. Player v Player is the best way to accomplish a decent leaderboard. Streetfighter IV had a good system whereby as you ranked up lower tiered players became unavailable. The points you earn/lose are dependant upon the rank of the opponent. The best gravitate to the top pretty quickly. Naturally whoever goes first has a major advantage and needs to be accounted for.

@Tacet interesting idea in theory but in practice people are winning 95-99% of matches so those reductions are of minimal importance. All it would do is keep the few players who play as much and as ‘fairly’ as you above the other few players who play as much as you but quit out of slow matches. A bigger impact may occur if the enemy stats also increase as you climb the ladder thereby increasing your losses and reducing the impact of time further. Quit outs should be punished harder than losses.

1 Like

I mean, it’s possible the devs could choose to invest in “hardcore AI,” and use that instead of, say, the Fake Difficulty of stat inflation of Warlord IV. Some things, like making a match you know will cascade into a 4-match, or saving your color changer for when you can guarantee a 4-match, would be easy enough to add. But effective and tactical use of spells is not at all trivial to program, especially when the right thing to do (skip the skulls and instead cast Destructo Beam since the fight’s almost done and loss of first troop is acceptable, etc.) is complex, and in the worst case would need to be reprogrammed to fight effectively against any emerging meta. It’s not impossible, but resources allocated here would not be building new features the non-hardcore could enjoy.

2 Likes

Yeah highly unlikely in any case. They probably would not do that just to please the hardcore crowd. Then again though they are bringing player vs. player, and likely to add additional tasks to please the hardcore crowd. I wouldn’t say it isn’t ever possible, but you’re right highly highly unlikely.

That type of AI would murder most people who play this game. That is not fun.

1 Like

Right. I understand the programming involved. That’s exactly why I doubt they will ever put a truly advanced AI in the game. As a dev said in the past, they want to add real PVP because hardcore people will never be satisfied with the AI they provide.

As I said in my post, I don’t think I have the all-in-all solution. It was just some idea. I didn’t say we should limit the time someone spend IN GAME, I said limit the amount of time in PvP only. You could still do any other in game activities once you capped your PvP hours. And you on the other hand just complaining and bashing and give no solution at all.

I never say I do it because I wanna get an easier way to the top. I write this thread so that people can share their thoughts on current PvP system, and hopefully find a solution to its problem. My idea to limit the amounts of time people could spend in PvP is because our current PvP format is, as @Tacet said, pure time = win instead of quality of time = win. It’s more like the battle of endurance instead of strategy.

Yes, my actions were legit. I was pushing myself really hard to get #1 spot so I can prove that our current system is broken. I did it to prove that it’s doable to beat possible bots / multiplayer, but again at what cost?

3 Likes

THIS! I like this scoring system idea.[quote=“efh313, post:44, topic:12995”]
I think a point system can be created that better quantifies QUALITY of play rather than QUANTITY.
[/quote]

Agreed.

3 Likes

If you all could stop worrying about this silly “leader board” and just admit what you already know to be true…that i am the best!..looking :blush:

3 Likes

If only I could have @Tacet 's mind and @en9nhcet 's good looks…

Then nothing could stand in my way! :wink:

2 Likes

Chats in my top-end guild seem to have the opposite goal.

All our guild tasks get completed within a few hours of the reset, and the 40k guild chest is unlocked within a couple days, even with many of us “slacking.” Members have been complaining that there’s no longer any incentive or even point to PVP, and searching for either a reason to keep playing the rest of the week or an outlet to spend the resulting gold.

A lot of suggestions have been coming in on how the devs could re-incentivize people to keep putting in the crazy hours.

1 Like

I know the feeling.
Aside from reaching Tier 1 for my own personal goal, and the good gold gain, PvP has really lost its draw for me. Now that my guild isn’t requiring Trophies as a req.

However, @Gortus I believe this will be solved when Guild Wars is introduced in the not so distant future. I suspect trophies will factor into it and PvP will become much more relevant to top tier guilds again. :wink:

Yes. That most likely happens to almost all top guilds. A friend of mine (not from my guild) already quit and uninstalled the game because he felt ripped off and felt too much work for no rewards equal to the effort. Unfortunately there’s nothing much we can do but wait, for now.

Once you lose the dedicated and hardcore players in this game that’s a sign to do something about it. Said players are simply not going to stick around and it’s already starting to show. They’ve got nothing to do with excess gold, no reason to do pvp and ultimately stop playing.

They need to figure out a solid and robust system that rewards casual players, middle of the road players and the hardcore players. I’d say it’s the middle of the road players who benefit the most right now.

3 Likes

For every hardcore player who leaves the game, I make 20 more casual players to whup.

Do not limit the time a player can play! If you do then you’re just like every other energy mechanic game not worth paying for or playing.
If someone wants to put in 18+hours a day playing that’s their business and life. No one elses.
If you wanted to keep a player’s interest then add more individuals tiers. Once you get to #1 in your tier you jump to the next with the same rewards. As we get a lot free in this game. Keep climbing a ladder.
As it once you hit #1 in the individual tier it’s pretty much over unless you get to the top 1000.
But this you hit 1million you’re a big winner attitude is just silly. Sorry not being snarky.
Definitely add a symbol in their profile for PVP win. They earned it!

1 Like

Of course, if someone wants to play 24/7 or living an unhealthy lifestyle that’s their business and life. My point is since we can’t prevent / detect when an account is used by multiplayer, hence the time limitation. Just for PvP. So once an account capped their PvP hours, say 8hrs, they can no longer PvP. But they can still play the game. Because speaking from experience, that 18hrs a day for a whole week PvP-ing is what it takes to match those possible bots/multiplayer account. I know it’s not all-in-all solution, just some idea.

Multiplayer isn’t cheating, unfair or wrong in any way, that’s why it’s not a priority to be prevented.

1 Like

It is, for me. Because it’s an individual game. It’s like bots, only use human instead of program. What’s the difference? Even if it’s legal, it create unhealthy competition. It’s unfair for someone to have play more than 12 hrs a day to keep up with tag-teamers in our current PvP system. That’s why we need a better system. Quality over quantity.

2 Likes

Sorry Zoo I think it’s a bad idea all the way around. Just so ‘someone else’ can have a shot at being #1. Being the top PVP isn’t a right and playing the game or unlocking areas doesn’t depend on it.
If you work 8 hours, sleep 8 that means the rest of your day is playing only. What if we work 12 hours? Should we not say a 6 hour limit? Or what if… It goes on and on.
I don’t particularly like the idea of account sharing to win but it’s not much different than joining a guild to pool resources.
I can’t have multiple accounts on my phone. If I had kids and can’t afford other phones for them yeah they would get to play a small amount of time on mine.
You have to see different reasons and possibilities.
You’re a nice person so I don’t want to argue with you. I just don’t see a practical or desirable solution so far.