Why do I find participating in the new Guild Wars less enjoyable?
The old Guild Wars format involved less randomness, and I used to liken the experience to chess—something I really enjoyed. In fact, the old Guild Wars format is what got me into the game in the first place.
Since winning was easier in the old Guild Wars, I focused more on maximizing my points during battles. That aspect had a real appeal.
I liked that I didn’t have to play Guild Wars every day—for instance, I could play five matches for each of the six days all at once on a Sunday.
The old Guild Wars weren’t tied to overall guild activity, but rather to skill and performance specifically within the Guild Wars mode.
Opponents in the old Guild Wars were matched based on their Guild Wars skill level, not on the guild’s activity in other game modes. You could immediately see which guilds were potential opponents and how many members each guild had.
Add that the D has a huge advantage. Get rid of repeated troops. Or even better make the D ahve the same restrictions as Offense. Also force Ds to have different Defense areas and cannot repeat until they choose all. Letting them pick Green each GW is just silly.
In my experience, most guilds weren’t using that. At the top end, I’m sure it was 100%. But below the top 50 guilds or so, it became rare to see that style of team. Converters were common, but books weren’t.
And at least converters were fixed, you could plan for them by trying to control the board so that when they cast their spell they’d get less matches and no extra turn. With many of the new troops that generate mana at start of turn, like Takshaka, you can’t out-play them. They start their turn and you have no control, only watching randomness take place and hope you get lucky. In that respect, the old format was WAY less random, and WAY more tactical. And I preferred that style of play.
Totally agree here. The old GW used strategy to counter or minimize the damage of converters in a non-random way. Now with Taks and Zargs, you just pray to god that they don’t fill or get ETs.
I was 18-0 going into my final battle during kingdom wars with 3 Taks, with palace to come. Palace is less of a toss up if you can fill a godslayer.
I prayed to the gods of RNG that I’d be the only one in guild to go undefeated. This was my mistake…
Frozen on colour, no extra turns and no stuns. No troops with an extra turn without filling one, and no opponent frozen.
All Taks filled off wildcards. EoE fills, casts, no hero or stuns. Already over.
The issue with kingdom wars is purely in hands of devs and multiple before turn generators. We didn’t have those before in old guild wars, we did have issues but there were counters on every day. Brown maybe a relative slight issue due to enraged kurandara curse.
Now we need absolute luck to deny indirect mana generation. Not in any form a test of skill. For those that chime in they can predict 6 wild cards, and there are some… nope you can’t.
Also the Gw feedback thread created in pre new GW patch, mentioned all the issues we still face. The play every day is a proper killer in 2026.
Personally, I like the new GW much better. Trying to guide 29 people with different defenses for each day of wars is super time consuming. It’s tough enough to figure out one set of defenses for the week. Yes, there are bugs, but I’ve seen lower level teammates outsmart even the toughest defenders. The only thing I miss is that the old guild wars only counted the top 27 scores which made sense. They need to bring that back.
Is that a joke? I’ve been in bracket 1 since 2018 consistently. The last few years of old guild wars it was a doomed book and 2 or 3 converters (almost) every single fight, every guild wars.
It was a book at least 95% of the time, I don’t know if that quite qualifies as “common” though.
As somebody who spent years in Bracket 1 (PS4), I also thought that there was a disproportionately high percentage of Book (Elementalist) + 2 empowered converter + 1 heavy hitter defenses.
Mind you, it was easier to combat because restricting the attacker solely by color left significantly more in the number of options we had for crafting our own teams. Not that we used most of those troops, because most troops aren’t very good, but it was easier to work around certain things.
As someone in a guild that typically hovers just outside the top 100, I also remember fighting many, MANY doomed book / dual converter teams. People complained about it on the forums frequently, and about how GWs were stale and left too much to chance.
There are valid complaints about the new system versus the old, but it’s worth mentioning that I don’t recall much positive feedback about the old system at the time, either.
I agree with all of those, especially needing to play GW every day. My biggest gripe is still the requirement to get all the rewards from the pass. It puts me in the unnecessary position of deciding to grind out Gate battles for wins versus actually trying.
I’ve done decently in GW so far. I’ve been paragon a few times, even won 20/0 when facing Taks teams, but having important rewards on the line adds a lot of pressure I never felt in the old GW. I typically put my guild first, but if we’re down 10K points at the end of the day, I’m probably just going to grind gate battles. That’s not enjoyable. I could challenge myself, which can be fun in itself, but why risk it? Same issue if we’re up 10K points.
I think it’s ridiculous that you have to win 18/20 battles to get all the free rewards. Talk about unnecessary stress for basically everyone, because more than 2 losses means you miss out on the last reward, which is the whole point of winning those 18 battles.
Personally, I’m more focused on medals, not shiny troops, but it’s a matter of opinion if you should win battles to get all rewards or just participate for them. I’m largely on the side of participation in 18 battles being rewarded given the forced daily play.
I agree RedHottRockStar, I love new GW because I can learn each kingdom every troop and their powerful combination together to win a 5/0. Also, it is the only guild event I really see team work to make it possible for a winning day. Try to see the positive side, the previous Forest of Thorns we have some lower level player using a simple attack team and won 5/0. And try to use the weekly bouns as well like it was Elemental week with Forest of Thorns, tried Elemental attack team gained weekly bonus certainly helpful.