What's with the gnomes escaping, now?

Platform, device version and operating system:

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
We were told, after the introduction of terror, that all gnomes/battlecrashers escaping would drop their loot, since they needed to drop it when fleeing from terror. I’m now seeing several gnomes escaping from PvP battles (usually in blood frenzy battles, due to stat bloat making it harder to kill them before they escape if you hit bad RNG), and not dropping any loot. Most notably, the dragonite gnome didn’t drop anything. I checked my victory screen and there were three boxes for gnome rewards, and none of them had a background of the dragonite gnome, and none gave me dragonite. I’ve also seen it with soul gnomes, so I know it’s not just that one kind, and I think I saw it with something else. However, I’ve also seen gnomes escape, such as the pet gnome, and checked the victory screen to see that I got four gnome rewards, and the pet gnome is shown, so this isn’t a 100% thing in either direction.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Only noticed it since vault weekend started, but that might just be due to there now being more gnomes to test it with.

Steps to make it happen again
Get a battlecrasher. Let it escape. Check victory screen to see if it dropped loot.

Additional note
I have already noticed that the valhawk doesn’t drop monolith sigils when it flees, but I don’t know if this is intended or not. I don’t want to list that as a bug if it’s not, but it feels like it should behave like other battlecrashers, so thought it worth mentioning.

3 Likes

When a battlecrasher flees from its spell, the intent is that the player does not receive the associated reward (except in a Vault battle). It was a bug that they did in certain cases.

When a battlecrasher flees from terror, it counts as a kill, and the intent here is that the player should receive the reward.

I saw a Raven flee in Terror in the Tower of Doom event and it didn’t drop anything.

Of course I didn’t want to test this again on purpose :rofl:

2 Likes

Originally, yes. Until terror arrived and they changed it.

It’s not really a bug when the devs make an announcement saying “we made the game do this thing, and here’s the reason why it does this thing”. That’s design.

Yeah, but the game doesn’t know the difference between fleeing in terror and fleeing from a spell. That’s why they had to make battlecrashers drop loot on fleeing, regardless of the reason. Otherwise, they’d have made terror fleeing do one thing and spell fleeing do the other.
Right now, some spell fleeing is working as originally designed, and some is working as per the re-design. Which means something is wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure I’ve had ToD ravens flee and it gave me the rewards, so it’s hard to tell what’s supposed to happen, but they definitely said all battlecrashers fleeing would give rewards.

I had the same thing, of not wanting to let stuff escape to test further. Especially not stuff like dragonite gnomes and ravens, which give higher value loot. Lol. =]

2 Likes

I had a Darginite gnome yesterday in the Blood Frenzy in the top spot and it fled 2nd turn and I didnt get any rewards. Only the second Dragonite gnome I had seen in months. I wqs super upset about it

1 Like

Gnomes leaving their loot when fleeing normally was a bug introduced along with Terror effect.

It was intended gnomes fleeing from Terror would drop loot, this introduced the unintended effect of normally fleeing gnomes dropping loot.

This has now been fixed.

2 Likes

Just to clarify:

Fleeing battlecrashers like Gnomes and Valravens should not drop their loot.
But Troops who flee because of the Terror status effect count as defeated Troops and used to drop their loot before this other bug was fixed.

So I’ve reported that battlecrashers who flee because of the Terror status effect don’t drop loot and am waiting for a follow up.

5 Likes

In that case, would you please ask them to look at re-evaluating that as a QOL change? Nothing sucks the fun out of of a game like losing one of those to bad RNG.

3 Likes

Yes. If there has to be a penalty for battlecrashers escaping, then couldn’t they just drop LESS rewards. Like valravens drop one sigil instead of two, and gnomes drop half as much of whichever resource.
Having bad RNG cost you battlecrasher rewards, especially with rare resources, is sooooo frustrating, so getting something as compensation for your efforts would be much appreciated.

2 Likes