What did you find difficult as a new player?

I agree! I have already spoken with the team about improving the clarity of the links to the help center (and what they do) and how to get gameplay help. Thank you for your suggestions :+1:

3 Likes

Hello all! Weā€™ve been working hard on updating the help center articlesā€¦ so I thought Iā€™d bump this thread for anyone else that might want to add to the conversation

Tribute: Honestly, it took me a couple months to understand the point or usefulness of kingdoms, as the tribute feature made no sense to me at all. I actually had to do web searches and consult the forums to understand the system and what it was for/how it worked. Perhaps explain WHEN you get tribute, and WHAT tribute is exactly, as well as how the home kingdoms works, because I still see people getting confused about it.

PVP: I couldnā€™t for the life of me figure out why the enemies were getting stronger as I trained my main team for a little while. It took me another couple of months to find out that I earned less gold the stronger I got, which Iā€™m assuming was to alleviate the ā€œRich getting Richerā€ effect. Perhaps explain how the 3 tiers of PVP Enemies (lower, medium, higher difficulties) works, and how it scales?

Unlocking Classes: For the first month or two, I didnā€™t even know classes existed. I kept asking myself, why do these other players have these traits and I donā€™t have any? It wasnā€™t until I actually WENT to the class system under the player tab and saw in small text it said complete the story line for this kingdom to unlock said class.

Kingdom Bonuses and Power Level: I didnā€™t understand this stuff at ALL for the longest time, and while there was just a complete overhaul for this stuff, I was very confused when I first started.

Ascending Troops: When ascending, I think it should clarify that you need at least one EXTRA copy in ADDITION to the required amount of troops needed to ascend.

Progression Speed/ Relevance to other Players: Now, I donā€™t exactly know a perfect way to explain or implement this, but I hear so many players complaining about either not being able to participate in certain events to the fullest or not being able to obtain certain things in the game that a player of their current level shouldnā€™t be able to achieve and that itā€™s natural. I hear people complaining about not being able to participate in pet events, but theyā€™re sub level 100 or 200; or people claiming that it takes so long to craft mythics in the soul forge, yet theyā€™ve only unlocked the forge about a month ago and are relatively new. Perhaps thereā€™s a way to clarify to certain players that certain features of the game have a recommended level, or something along those lines?

Now, Iā€™m sure there were PLENTY of people out there who didnā€™t have any issues with some of this stuff, but if ā€œIā€ can get confused, and I pride myself on my aptitude in figuring things out, Iā€™m sure there are many others who can fall prey to this confusion as well. Itā€™s also been a while since Iā€™ve been a new player, so I donā€™t remember exactly what kind of tutorials are offered in the beginning anymore.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s things Iā€™ve missed, but I think Iā€™ve rambled on as much as my attention span and lack of sleep will permit for the time being. If I can think of anything else, Iā€™ll add it later.

2 Likes

Perhaps thereā€™s a Tip feature that occasionally pops-up when a player reaches new level milestones, or just to help lead people of lower levels in a better direction. Newer players constantly lack direction, especially when not in a guild.

Perhaps a ā€œTipā€ will pop-up for a lower level player that says,ā€œHey! Thereā€™s still 12 more kingdoms for you to purchase. Head to PVP and rack up some gold!ā€

Or something like, ā€œYour troops are looking nice, but they can be even stronger! Try conquering the Arena for lots of souls!ā€

ā€œYour troops are growing restless. Letā€™s go to Explore for some traitstones and get them into battle!ā€

Or tips to unlock classes, "{Insert NPC name} might be willing to teach you the ways of the {Insert Class name} if you lend them your assistance. Head to {Insert Kingdom name} and get to questing!

And basically just have the tips either automatically turn off at a certain level, or have an option to switch them off.

3 Likes

I suggest a built-in feature with small videos or animations/slides with guides. Using all things you already mentioned, and any new things the developers end up adding, would surely be helpful.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions! I love it, keep it coming! Weā€™ll be sure to review the articles to include any additional points that should have been covered.

Regarding placing some more tips or information in game - Iā€™m working with the dev team at the moment to actually show some of the help-center content in-game already! Theyā€™re going to be testing some concepts where certain parts of the game will link to help center content (like how currently you can see ā€œ?ā€ in Guilds), and also surfacing some articles to view in-game too. As usual this isnā€™t certain but itā€™s definitely in progress. :slight_smile:

Check out some of our more immediate and recent changes here - for example, thereā€™s now a Getting Started section and @Kafka has done some awesome work updating Guilds (as well as many other things!)

2 Likes