Void Wisp Mana Steal Order of Operations Issue

Platform, device version and operating system:
Mobile, iOS v15.5

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
I used Void Wisp to attack an enemy expecting to steal their life, mana, and magic. The enemy died after stealing life, and did not steal mana or magic.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
This is a consistent issue that happens whenever the enemy is killed by the life steal. If the enemy does not die, then mana and magic are drained. I only noticed it today, but was able to recreate the scenario without fail.

Steps to make it happen again
Use Void Wisp in a team against a weak opponent. Target an opponent that has accumulated mana. Use Void Wisp’s Negative Energy attack on the opponent. Check to see that Void Wisp did not drain enemy mana or steal magic before killing enemy.

To test it working properly, repeat steps above but against a strong opponent that won’t be killed by the life steal. Check to see that Void Wisp has drained up to 4 mana and stolen 2 magic.

The description for Negative Energy currently reads, “Steal XX Life, 4 Mana, and 2 Magic from an Enemy.” I believe this is an order of operations issue, where the mana steal and magic steal should occur before the life steal, so that the target of the mana/magic steal does not disappear. Otherwise the Negative Energy description should be written as “Steal XX Life from an Enemy. Then steal 4 Mana and 2 Magic.”

1 Like

Hi @Fionn_mac_Cumhaill,

I think indeed that its a wrong description, if an enemy is dead you cant steal mana or magic from it.
As example, Will of Nysha steal 3 magic from all allies, then deal x damage to them.
So agree with you that its not good described :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Amira would like to disagree, but yes it is absolutely a phrasing issue.

1 Like

Hi @Stratelier,
:joy:

Mind Eater described correctly

Ice Wraith also has a steal mana spell aspect that works even if the enemy dies. I think that’s what influenced my presumptions about the Void Wisp’s spell.

1 Like

Thats indeed pretty confusing, I thought if enemy dies the other aspects were not possible longer but by some troops they can after die steal mana, magic or wtv and by others not is complex and make it that you expect things and must have luck of it works the way the troop is described :face_with_spiral_eyes:

The problem is that (probably) nobody of the developers cares about how a spell (and specially upgraded weapons!!!) should work. Or at least they dont test it. I dont know. I dont care neither anymore…

There are plenty of troops and weapons that have kinda the same issue like Void Wisp.
If the devs would be more patient how to order the triggers of each spell and pay more attention in the coding itself it wouldnt be so disappointing anymore.

1 Like

Hey all,

The steps for this Spell are as everyone has already discussed here, it is Life taken then Mana and then Magic. But if the Troop is destroyed first, you will not then be able to steal Mana or Magic.

While this is currently intended, I did raise this with the team this morning to look at changing this in the future, but there are technical considerations and limitations to consider on the back end with how this interacts with everything else in the battle.

So, we want to investigate this fully before making any changes.

Jeto (she/they) - Support Human :woman_mage:t2:

2 Likes

“Technical considerations and limitations”. No there aren’t; this is just spin when the real response actually is “we could do it but we can’t be arsed. We aren’t even gonna correct the description. Coffee? lovely; two sugars please”.

1 Like

To be fair, unless you’ve hacked apart the game engine for inspection, you do not know that.

2 Likes

No sugar for me, Thanks the coffee is welcome :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: