UPDATED - The end of Forest Troll, 2x Kraken, Queen Mab

Agreed again! I use the team 'cause it works. But game overall would be more fun if you could play well with a variety of teams. So many troops seem so cool, but they just collect dust 'cause need those honed teams to have a chance to win. We’ll see what next week’s anniversary brings

Awesome thread right here.

Now if someone could tell me how to counter my other hate-teams:

Psion
Ragnagord
Famine
Infernus

(Sometimes the bottom 2 will be Moloch,Korvash or Spirit fox)

I have a really hard time against these teams,Ragnagord fills everything to quickly,meaning you never have any mana to use…
Any ideas?

A few ideas! For one, Psion only steals Mana on skull damage. If you entangle her, it fails – so keeping Sylvanimora handy can stop her constant drain in its tracks. (Then skull bait to keep her busy while you rack up Mana.)

For another, as much as it’s a “fight fire with fire” scenario, an Empowered spirit fox can use your first turn to drain Ragnagord, which can level the playing field.

Third, for dwarf crew, I keep the apothecary (my mana charger) down in the third position – that way neither Psion’s skulls nor Khorvash can drain her. (At least, not unless I’m already doing badly.)

None of them are perfect but it’s a start.

1 Like

Desdemon also like to one shot kill psion

1 Like

I just have to say, I’ve been using this team for a few days now and (even allowing for the mild nerf to trolls and kraken) it is really excellent. As you say, it takes a little while to get used to Snowy Owl, but it has been really effective. I love turning the enemy’s assets into liabilities.

I’m still not sure about whether Mab or Plague is the ideal 4th troop though. I’ve been using Mab for the most part, but the one time I lost with this team was due to not being able to generate any 4-matches and having the AI get some skydrops to fill Kraken, then devour my Mab. I came close, but couldn’t quite get back on top after that. Aside from blocking the devour, I’m not sure if Plague would have saved me there or not with the way the gems were falling.

It feels good to be handing that troll team some losses after mostly avoiding it for the last few weeks.

1 Like

It’s such a crazy team… like… I have played hundreds of fights with it and I still don’t fully grasp the arcane nature of Snowy’s fill. Being such an excessively control-oriented player (yes that is a clear deficiency in my overall approach) I see this as a good thing and I would love more mysterious mechanics like this.

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence on this team and your feedback. I very much respect your opinion. I honestly needed to hear this from a player of your caliber because I have never been wracked with self-doubt so much on a deck that was simultaneiously so well-received.

I put Doomclaw in 4th spot.

Gloomleaf
Sekhma
Snowy Owl
Doomclaw

Doomclaw completes all the color spectrum, and is immune to Devour.
He primarily functions as an Enrage buffbot, does a nice chunk of single target dmg if enough enrages are around, and when that 20% devour proc, it usually seals the game.

5 Likes

It IS a really weird team, but it flat-out works. I’m not quite as control-oriented as you are, but I am really into using efficient and effective counters to popular teams and this one suits me.

I introduced my wife to the team last night and after she shushed me for talking too much (“Just let me use my team”, she says), she was able to figure it out without any trouble and walked over a couple troll teams without my help. Her thought was that you must have a really deep knowledge of the game and troops to come up with that, and I agree.

That’s an interesting idea, but sadly, I haven’t pulled any new mythics since Elemaugrim. I guess Plague would be a luxury option for most people, as well.

3 Likes

Plague is the only horseman I have. After facing off against countless copies of each of the other 3 (and cursing my luck for not having one of my own), I am glad to finally see a team where Plague could be used well. If I ever bothered to trait it…

1 Like

plague was actually worse than kraken before they change how 4 or 5 matches works. it doesn’t kill you, but it doesn’t let you win either.

2 Likes

Nice team and great video!

1 Like

I also want to express thanks Krudler - although I’m content with “mirror-matching” and hoping to get the cascades and matches first :), I gave your team to a guildmate and he’s had success with it as well (even with Sekhma not fully traited). He found Queen Mab to be ineffective as well but used Behemoth as an effective replacement.

1 Like