UPDATED - The end of Forest Troll, 2x Kraken, Queen Mab

Thanks Lyya, I always love your feedback on my teams because you are so insightful.

It is sad that it takes such a specialized team with powerful Traits to defeat a single Trait (and a disparity between Human/AI luck settings that need attenuation).

2 Likes

I agree that the combo is disproportionately powerful (though I disagree that the AI gets more luck than the player, but that’s a topic for other threads).

1 Like

It is a very complex topic. And yes very OT here. Over the last while the pseudo random gem distribution has changed in a very significant way, Link Traits have been indirectly depreciated, Transform troops have been indirectly depreciated, etc. Even if we were to go into it this isn’t the place, and it’s a topic so deep that it wouldn’t serve us to even begin exploring it.

1 Like

If you decide to make another thread to discuss how you see the game as having changed, I would read it.

3 Likes

Me too. 10letters

2 Likes

Nice team @KrudlerTheHorse

I’ve found Doomclaw works really well in the last spot. Can’t be devoured, not end of world if he’s frozen. Random enrage is nice and spell works as a finisher :grinning:

The new (slightly overpowered for a UR) Merlion also works

Edit: yeah tried it a few times (c 20 TKKM meta battles) and it works but I’ve not found it flawless… v dependent on firing first and just as likely to die if the AI gets a lucky streak and chains troll/kraken on you… nice ideas and lovely to get some use of lesser-used troops - still find GloomLeaf is crap really though… but success rate for me at least seems no better than Keghammer/Krystenax/TDS/Behemoth for example…

Thanks for your video. When I was using vjm I was using the owl up top.
It was nice to see a video with the game on, was it x2 speed?
I don’t have plague but the other suggested troops shouldn’t be a problem and I’ll keep an eye on the thread to see what you and other folks come up with.
I often use gloom leaf with carnex on red days if I come up against a mab team in guild wars.

I was also thinking about Dracos, Rock Troll, and Dwarven Miner for bringing up the rear.

Each bringing something different. Rock can be frozen but you’ll “never” match Purple intentionally and Red is quite rare with this Deck so Freeze is fairly useless on him. Dracos interrupts with Silence if the loop ever gets established.

Sadly there is no perfection in this deck or any deck. Its pretty much as close as I can get given my personal play style. The fundamental problem isn’t fixable with a single counter-measure. But man, I don’t want to open that can of worms.

2 Likes

I won a couple of battles easily then got totally destroyed the next two. Merlion isn’t actually a bad shout. That double silence really can help.

Me and some other people in the guild are having a good time against meta with War Goat. It is impervious and hits hard with Sekhma. One of the fastest clearing times is with War goat - Hellcat - Alchemist - Sekhma. It works as long as the troll cannot cast on turn 2 or 3 on a bad board when you can’t power up neither Alchemist nor Hellcat. Even if things in the middle get frozen, the opponent has no good colors and typically, cannot power neither F-Troll nor Kraken. Goat has no overlap in colors and does not slow down powering up the loop. Once the Troll is down after a single Sekhma cast, the rest just fold to skull damage. Sekhma hits much harder in this setup since sum of magic for your team in video is quite low. Multiple red matches also work very well. By the end, Sekhma herself does at least 60-75 damage.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that - I’d love to put together a vid with all the great suggestions going around.

2 Likes

Seems to be a more works in theory rather than practice to me.

Yes it is definitely not a click-and-forget-it deck. Because of the way Snowy first steals, leaves gaps in the board, then fills in means you have to carefully consider the gems that are around the Purples that will be removed. If you add in colors that have a higher chance of connecting it will push the success rate of this deck much higher.

Effective Snowy casts is the hard part because its Cast mechanic is unique and difficult without lots of practice.

1 Like

Update

Hey peeps… try Mab in the bottom while you acclimate to Snowy’s odd behavior. A single 4-Match puts an end to the misery then the rest of the deck takes over. Yes, you lose the Devour protection but it should smooth out the experience for a broader audience of players.

Dracos 1337 also works a charm at the bottom because he catches spill from Snowy’s gather, Snowy’s Cast, and Sekhma’s Red gather, but only put it in when you get rolling with the playstyle.

1 Like

I think what makes Silence subpar in most compositions is how often the enemies recovers from it instantly… (not biased at all :wink:) But well, maybe an one round guaranteed of silence, just like we have one “grace” round free from Deathmark trigerring, could work to make it more reliable and relevant.

Aahhhhhh, I can see queen mab working much better.

Uber thanks 4 this! Was ready to throw laptop out window if I had to go up against Kraken/Mab one more time (of course MY defense team is also Kraken/Mab 'cause it works)

1 Like

Uber thanks 4 this! Was ready to throw laptop out window if I had to go up against Kraken/Mab one more time (of course MY defense team is also Kraken/Mab 'cause it works)

I hope you take this the right way, but I sincerely hope this over-used deck won’t work for much longer :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Interesting. Why not Krystenax? Not impervious, but has immunity to entangle AND stoneskin. Maybe you are using war goat because of his event boost?

Edit: having tried it, I guess it’s also so that skulls can’t be frozen

1 Like

I am very grateful for people finding new and interesting counters for the troll-krak build! I personally havent needed it but it makes my heart swell with joy to know that now that people are able to counter troll-krak maybe i will no longer have to wade through dozens, nay, hundreds of “i hate troll-krak teams” threads…

So for getting this discussion going i thank you @KrudlerTheHorse with utmost sincerity

2 Likes