Unlucky or EK drop rate nerf (GaP)?

Maybe it’s just me… I ran 3 Gnome-a-Paloozas so far and got a single epic vault key.

I know it’s not a lot of GaPs but last time I would at least have gotten 10, most likely more, EKs from those 3 runs.

So, am I really unlucky or has anyone noticed the same thing?

2 Likes

You were unlucky, but not particularly so. As you mention, your sample size isn’t large enough to draw any sort of conclusion based on your experience alone.

In addition, I think you have inflated expectations: 10 (let alone more) EVKs from three GaPs is already far beyond the norm, so it is not surprising that you did not get that many.

7 Likes

I’ve only done 4 GAPs myself thus far, but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t appear to be nerfed as I’ve gotten a total of 11 EVKs during that span. But definitely some streaky RNG as I got 0, 8, 0, 3 EVKs for each 15 minute GAP. So my advice is to keep at it, your luck will turn.

1 Like

I’ve done 12 GAPs. 4 of them have gotten 0 Epic keys. That’s 892 gnomes and no Epic keys.
RNG has never, EVER, adjusted the other way across a negative that large.
And before you ask, the EVKs I did get from the other GAPs, 2 had 4 (expected), the rest were all under 10%.

While technically true, your last sentence is misleading because the 4 GAPs in which you received no epic keys were presumably not all in a row, which would be a much rarer event than picking out four different GAPs in which you received no epic keys.

You certainly should not expect to get 4 EVKs/GAP on average.

Let us assume a 10% VK drop chance, which we know is an overestimate from your data. We are told that 10% of all VK drops will be EVK, so the EVK drop chance would be 1%. If you encounter 224 gnomes during a GAP, then you should find 2.24 EVKs on average—and this is already an overestimate.

We can go further. Given the results above, the distribution of the number N of vault keys in a GAP follows Poisson statistics with rate parameter λ = 2.24, so that P(N = 4) = exp(-λ) λ⁴/4! = 0.11, so it turns out that you were quite lucky to get 4 EVKs in 2 GAPs out of 12 total GAPs.

3 Likes

I run double GAPs. Sorry, I did’nt mention that on this thread, thought I did on another. 2 of those double gaps got me 4 keys (expected). 2 of those got me 0 keys (which is where i got the 892 gnome total from). The rest were all under 4 and all under 10%.
And, that means I did back to back GAPS with no epic keys. Twice.

Thanks for clarifying, that does make more sense. I think it’s still more likely than not that it’s just bad luck over a small sample size, especially given the rarity of an EVK drop (<1%), but I guess we’ll find out with more data.

I was probably just exceedingly lucky the last two vault events, then.

Good to know that others didn’t notice any change - that means I’ll hopefully get lucky again at some point. :grin:

My data so far (for this event):

• total number of gnomes: 8144
  • keys: 567 => 6.96%
  • epic keys: 76 => 0.93%

That being said, before running a 5-hour non-stop GaP, my epic key rate was closer to 0.7%, so take that part with a grain of salt. To me it feels like, key drop rate is 7% and epic key drop rate is 0.7% (which is 10% of the key drop, which is consistent with what we knew before).

1 Like

This question may be a good chance to give the new mods the opportunity to answer honestly and directly, as opposed to what has been historically the case with ‘hands tied’/radio silence.

@NewMods: what are the VK and EVK drop rates during GaP?
:crossed_fingers::relaxed: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Just did 3 GAPS, not gonna spend my whole weekend playing as I got other things to do. But it’s Sunday so lets chill around playing some. :wink:

13 -12 -14 VKs, 4 Epic VKs included.

It would be nice to get an official response but don’t hold your breath. Fwiw from numerous data collection threads a gnome drops a vk 8% of the time and 10% of those will be evk.

1 Like

Oh wait, does this mean that I should actually count EVKs as vault key drops, too?

In this case, my final post reflects:
8.31% key drop (regular + epic)
0.98% epic key drop.

Which is closer to the values you are talking about. (0.98% is higher but the data points is so few for epic keys, I think that is totally possible).

I did two (2) Gnome-a-Paloozas this weekend.

12 Vault Keys, 1 Epic Vault Key, ~165 gnomes killed in the first.
12 Vault Keys, 1 Epic Vault Key, ~160 gnomes killed in the second.

(For whatever it’s worth, the EVK was the very last drop in #2).

Just to provide a couple of additional data points for whoever is trying to prove whatever.

1 Like

By now I played on my alt, 1 GaP, got 3 epic keys. That’s what I used to experience on my main the last two times, 3 to 5 epic keys per run.

But I also cashed in some keys because I don’t feel like only farming said keys and got a load of blue orbs which I definitely didn’t get the last two times.

Just RNG things… :grin:

I think I played for 5-6 hours this event, I managed to find enough verses to 4 GaPs. Was it worth the 6 hours of playing, I am not sure man.

1 Like

Update stats on my end if people are still interested:

• Total number of gnomes: 14112
  • verses: 305
  • keys (regular + epic): 1113, key drop rate: 8.92% (including epics)
  • epic keys: 119, epic key drop rate: 0.86%

The current results suggest more along, key (regular + epic) drop rate => 9% and epic key drop rate: 0.9%. That being said, again, the data points is not enough to completely reject that it could be 8% and 0.8%.

Hope this helps,

1 Like

mother of God, u forgot to eat so u must go eat now.

1 Like

Believe me eating is not the problem (can still hunt gnomes while eating). Sleeping is (which I forgot a lot, but hopefully will make up during the week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just incredible datas, thanks for sharing!

1 Like