Troops can use abilities after death

Platform, device version and operating system
Steam on PC, Windows 7

Screenshot or image

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened
I expected my pre-selected troop to not be able to cast its ability upon dying that turn. It however was able to use the ability without any drawbacks. If the troop summoned another troop upon death, it’ll use that new troop’s ability instead.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Upon realising what happened I was able to recreate it multiple times effortlessly. It seems the addition of a greyed-out Cast button during your opponent’s turn allowed this to happen after the 3.4 update. (I’m pretty sure it was added this update; I don’t recall seeing the greyed-out Cast button before during previous hastiness to select my troop.)

Steps to make it happen again

1. Have troop at full mana and ready to cast.
  2. During opponent’s turn, select that troop.
  3. Opponent kills that troop on their turn. Troop info and Cast button are still onscreen.
  4. Cast button becomes active on your turn. Selecting it causes ability to activate despite troop being dead.
4 Likes

This is a pretty cool gameplay tip, fellow pony.

Lol, have you tried it with a sunbird?

5 Likes

Looks like gw will be postponed until next patch.

Hah, now that’s a true revival! :laughing:

I hadn’t messed about with this since posting, to be honest, only enough to get an idea of what it’s doing. But I guess other people can experiment further with different abilities. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Useful for that dilemma when you have to make a choice between casting a spell and having the enemy kill it with a Skull strike or taking the Skull strike yourself and having the opponent kill you troop with a spell :slight_smile: