Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary

Mild necro as it’s been a little while since I came here…

GOLEM
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6008

• common, and fairly rubbish spell, but traits are good
  • gets Stoneskin quite early, so useful for beginners
  • also beginners run into a lot of them in quests, so I think we leave as is

GORGON
http://ashtender.com/gems/troops/6141

• half decent spell and traits, hits hard for the mana cost
  • and has Stoneskin - leave it as it is

GORGOTHA

• was already one of the best troops in the game
  • and then got a buff with cleanse needlessly added to its spell
  • no more buffs needed here

GRAND INQUISITOR

• really don’t like these fixed damage number boosts in spells
  • this can hit for 20+ damage at level 1
  • but in the end-game is a fairly expensive obsolete single nuke
  • suggest the scaling is +50% per other Whitehelm ally troop
  • and at that cost he could Cleanse himself at the same time

GRAVE KNIGHT

• okay as it is, I think
  • traits work, and spell scales nicely into end game

GREEN SEER

• ideally spell should entangle the first enemy, not a random enemy
  • but then the mana cost would need to go up
  • and that impairs her as a control / looping component
  • artwork is both nice yet disturbing
  • leave her as is

GREEN SLIME

• spell is hit or miss, and the random buff is too random
  • and surely everyone would use Giant Spider as the purple transformer, which has the same blue/green colours
  • traits are okay, but Sturdy is underwhelming
  • I think this one is a good candidate for Impervious, both thematically and to start some utility for Imperv teams
  • I’d change its colours to green/brown, to differentiate from the spider
  • and maybe make the spell just give life rather than randomness, but less fussed on that
1 Like

My take about changing Gnoll and Gorgon:

Gnoll
Current Spell: Savage Swing (9 Green/Red)
Deal [Magic + 3] damage to a random enemy. Deal triple damage if they use Brown Mana.

Changes:
Spell: Savage Swing (9 Green/Red)
Deal [Magic + 3] damage to an enemy. Boost the damage by my Attack if they use Brown Mana. Boost Ratio: 1:1

Inferior damage output compared to Cyclops, same rarity, but keeping it’s flavor of hating/hunting certain kinds of enemies. As long as there is no random single-targeting on the spell anyone can actually play and enjoy all the troops.

Gorgon:
Changing the random targeting of his spell to first troop targeting and a spell damage reduction would help a lot. It would be like a better Boar Rider because of Stone Skin, but without the extra turn, maybe changing Fire Heart for Nature Heart to make a better sinergy with the other Green Tauros (Soothsayer and Tauros) keeping the whole kingdom with two good and playable tribes (Gnolls and Tauros) with distinct characteristics.

I did this and other suggestions to Nimhain a long time ago for Wild Plains troops, but i’ll share the rest as the thread moves accordingly to the alphabetic order.

1 Like

@Ivar
I like your Gnoll change a lot !
It’s cheaper than Cyclop but it can target, but it needs to target brown to deals same amount, and in both case, it opens up for synergy with Attack Buffer troops.

1 Like

I’m glad you liked it. It’s a fitting change as he already have Fire Brand, Frenzy and Grudge, wich follows the thematic of him raging and dealing more damage as the battles goes on. :slight_smile:

Time for some more…

GRIFFON KNIGHT

• kinda usable, but left behind in the powercreep race
  • unsure how much that matters for a rare troop
  • I think a little synergy would help: deal 20% extra damage for each yellow ally (and maybe +1 mana cost to compensate) (nice to see bonus damage that scales and fits early and late game, cough, Dragon Soul)
  • traits predictable but work I guess

HAG

• spell seriously underpowered
  • suggest applies 1-5 random status debuffs on random enemies

HELLCAT

• one of the six standard transformers, sees a lot of use, esp in Alchemist loops
  • so doesn’t desperately need a buff
  • that said, for that mana cost its spell could hit a little harder
  • suggest boost damage by number of gems converted (2:1 ratio)

HELLHOUND

• pants troop
  • at that mana cost, should be able to aim that nuke spell at least

HERALD OF CHAOS

• pretty decent as an epic troop
  • great traits combo, and spell has double scaling and can cause a lot of pain
  • leave as is

HERDMASTER

• I would really like to see get Impervious trait back
  • Leader isn’t appropriate as a trait here, he’s far too squishy to be a front troop, and doesn’t benefit greatly from the Magic stat gain
2 Likes

Hello everyone.

If it’s OK, I’ll be joining the discussion. I’m sorry for being kinda late. Credit for inviting me in goes to @Jainus.

I wanted to mention Cthyryzyx, since I missed that one and even made a thread about him.
I believe than if we are talking about Insanity, it would thematically fit much more, as well as from balance perspective to involve Extra Turn if he jumbles the board. Right now, it’s more harmful than helpful.

For an Epic rarity, he should feel rewarding, while he mostly feels just risky for no reward, actually. That being said, I strongly suggest his stat increase to scale of magic. The randomness can stay.

And last but not least, his X-Y damage was not updated with the change of that mechanic. Orion and Berserker were updated.

From the lastly mentioned, I agree that Herdmaster’s new trait of leader doesn’t make sense.
… I’m not sure if Impervious is the way to go but would definitely be a better and more logical option.
Mostly agree on the rest.

Herdmaster used to have both Leader and Impervious, some time back. Then when Impervious was upgraded (to block Mana Burn and Devour, to counter those, rather than sensibly nerfing down the troops that were problems with them at the time), various troops lost their Imperviousness.

Oh, my bad then.
… I remember my friend saying it was replaced by that. Mistake on our side.

Time for a couple more :slight_smile:

HERONATH

• recent addition
  • I don’t normally like those flat buffs that don’t scale with level
  • but this one is harmless
  • not yet convinced that the ‘storm’ mechanics do much of use
  • ignore for now

HIGH PALADIN

• added this week
  • fairly strong, and nice to see some different colours on a Whitehelm troop - though it loses synergy with Templar
  • Holy Armour trait: (1) a pointless addition, we already had lots of skull damage reductions, and (2) doesn’t fit on a caster troop whose damage scales with his armour… why would I put him on the front to just lose his Armour? suggest replace with Reinforced, or maybe a status immunity

I’m quite enjoying the storms, risk vs reward. They’re more applicable after casting an exploder troop. Heronath /rowanne is a decent combo.
Talking about the skull damage reduction, I’m pretty sure we’ll see a 100% reduction one day with a mythic only being able to be killed by spell only unless stunned.

Agree with Heronath.
… Not sure if completely agree with High Paladin.

With the new upcoming change of AI - skulls are not longer being a “bait-choice”. AI is going to ignore them mostly. That being said - you can’t deny that the skill helps the troop. Even if (let’s say) troops before him get killed, High Paladin preserves some of his damage when targeted by skulls.
Not to mention players ignore skulls big time, making the trait somewhat relevant as a defense tank. His state is okay for his rarity.

1 Like

This is very useful. Do you agree ?

Any thoughts on kruarg?
I think his devour on skulls needs to be 15% and summon on 11 reds, not 13.
He certainly needs a different buff.