Tribute Bug Fix

As devs have said in the past, not all updates can be pushed fast. Things that require a simple change on the backend, eg server, can be done.

But things that require a change in the client, cant always be pushed out straight away, due to issues with different platforms and how each handle patches and updates. Because each platform is now on the same version, updates to some and not others causes issues and complaints on its own, therefore keeping everything the same and fixing it when all are updated is the safest method for the devs.

1 Like

I’m not sure how to interprete this whether it was internal mis-communication or a breach of trust with the community…

5 Likes

Also, just my opinion to clarify a bit about main post.

Saltypetra said nothing about the fix happening just now. She just said “we have fixed a bug”, so it can be any time. Based on available information, it’s probably mean since 4.1 update happened. The phase “is now live” can also mean it’s just in effect at the moment, not just right now for the first time. Very court-room method wording…

She likely just make this explanation post to explain about the confusion of large player base considered tribute change. Simply saying “we nerf tribute” would get them so much heat. (or even death threats…)

But personally, it’s not even a nerf at all, it’s a fix. We have been getting much more resources than we intended to for years now, so finally getting what is supposed to be at last couldn’t be that bad. About why the fix is happening in 4.1 though? I’m not sure, and it’s not a great topic to discuss anyway.

Also, the main thing us End Gamer want from tribute is gems, which is not changed in anyway. Next best thing is glory, with will just affect players who buy Event Keys by it for quickly ascent new Legendary troop to Mythic. There would still be enough to Mythic’ed new glory troops. Gold and souls are so common, we could get it faster by just playing anyway.

so … less resources …got it … or " the correct amount of resources" however you wanna spin it . Doesn’t sound like this was a positive change for the players .

3 Likes

Also, Saltypetra’s example is kinda confusing. Here is what I understand…

Pre-fix
Getting 20 glory tribute 3 times

20 + 20 + 20
—(10% bonus)—>
(20×3) + (20×10% + 42×10% + 66×10%)
= 60 + (2 + 4 + 6) *rounding 6.6 down to just 6
= 60 + 12
= 72 glory

Post-fix
Getting 20 glory tribute 3 times

20 + 20 + 20
—(10% bonus)—>
(20x3) + [(20×10%) + (20×10%)+ (20×10%)]
= 60 + (2+2+2)
= 60 + 6
= 66 glory.

Kinda needlessly complex pre-fix, right? And could explain why getting 900+ glory is possible in that pre-fix exponential formula. It’s better to understand now with new intended system.

Edit : fixed wrong formula. Dividing to get each 10% is so terrible. Why would I keep doing math when I’m so bad at it? :sweat_smile:

I like the way I wrote it better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (different amounts, though, obviously:

1 Like

Look, we all know maths isn’t my strongest point. I’m better at the tappy tappy typey typey and making increasingly awful jokes on stream.

10 Likes

Oh dear. Clearly this was an important matter to fix…

6 Likes

You’re very good at both of those, so it would be a tough ask for maths to be better!

2 Likes

Petra, your math is at least better than mine, and a big chance that it is better than a few others on these boards also.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction. My old formula only calculate on pure addition of base glory, not the correct keep-adding-up formula you wrote. I know something is wrong when Salty mention rounding up/down which is not existed on my formula at all.

Anyway, I have a headache now trying to understand it all. I’ll let people who are better at math than me handling it next time. :joy:

Edit : on the second thought, there might be something wrong with your formula. I used to be a student chosen for competition about Excel program in high school. But now, I don’t even know how to duplicate the simple formula about how old tribute is calculated. T^T

Edit 2 Now, i think your formula might be all correct, sorry… I really need to stop thinking about this and let it go now. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Eika that is actually the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

1 Like

For the record, your math is great and all correct. But +2/+4/+6/+7/rounding are coming out of nowhere with no explanation, so I try to explain it myself.

But now that I do it, I fully understand why you leave that part out. It’s too complex to explain in a few sentences without getting even more confusing. So, I’m sorry for questioning your decision.

1 Like

Thank you so much @TimeKnight. I did my best to explain this as eloquently (and concisely) as possible.

1 Like

But math(s) is fun! :stuck_out_tongue: :relaxed:

Old tribute = [(20 x 1.1 + 20)1.1 + 20] x 1.1

First tribute is 20.

10% of 20 is 2 <-------- (+2 glory)
20 + 2 = 22
22 + 20 = 42

10% of 42 is 4.2 <-------- (+4.2 glory)
42 + 4.2 = 46.2
46.2 + 20 = 66.2

10% of 66.2 is 6.62 <-------- (+6.62 glory)
66.2 + 6.62 = 72.82

GoW used Rounding! It’s super-effective!

Tribute fainted.

6 Likes

Thanks, Jonathan. It all makes sense now. Fit Saltypetra’s comment about rounding as well. Great job coming up with the formula before this post explaining it even existed. So awesome!!

Also, I didn’t expect the most spooky thing in Halloween to be not ghost, but complicated math. :rofl:

So, tonight, my plan to spook myself is not just watching horror movie now, but include making a formula to calculate the cost of upgrading Treasure Hoard in any point, to predict gold requirements in customized multiple upgrades. Stay tune! ^^

Edit : Halloween’s math ghost is proving to be much more scary than I thought, so it take me 2 night to deal with it. But it was defeated now, and the result is available here!

2 Likes

Unlike some ghosts, math don’t kill…oh wait, it actually kills sometimes… :thinking:

If my engineering and virology friends can be trusted, math kills all the time. Usually when wielded by people who don’t respect it, and so misuse it.

3 Likes

Credit goes to @Fourdottwoone:

See also (Fixed/not a bug) Huge reduction in gold, souls and glory received from tributes and The Mystery of the Amazing Tribute.

I just wrote it out for someone else to understand
in the 4.1 Patch Notes :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

So let me get this straight:

1. Complicated tribute math bug that gives us more stuff than you wanted, that’s worth taking however long this took to deal with. Long time to fix, hurts players.

2. Changing 50 gems to 1 gem or 24 hours to 1 hour, simple matter of changing a single number in the code and updating a graphic or just telling us the graphics don’t match. Short time to fix, helps players and makes us happier. (Talking about Hero Class change cost, for anyone under a pile of rocks.)

The first one you do, but the second one you leave alone. Classic dev priorities stereotype I was hoping not to apply here.

15 Likes