Treasure Hoard, the Gold Sink

Based on treasure rarity distribution a far better approach might be to first donate several 5-packs of coin purses though. Donating treasures is cheap at low hoard levels, and you will get at least some quality improvements out of it. If chalices are rare enough they are better saved for higher hoard levels.

From my experience, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that assertion.

You’ve played XCOM, right? Would you take a bunch of 25-35% shots in the hopes that some will hit, rather than positioning yourself for 95%+ shots? The gold cost climbs quickly, so I don’t want to make my “sure thing” upgrades expensive.

Edit: there’s no in-game leaderboard for cards ascended to Mythic, but that didn’t stop GoWDB from making one. And people certainly compete to place on that! And come on, you know the first person to hit level 1000 on a Hoard will be plastering that screenshot all over the forums and social media.

8 Likes

Exactly this. Leveling the hoard will be an exercise in patience. The person that goes off half cocked throwing coin purses at it will pay dearly in gold over time.

6 Likes

Depends on how many 95% shots I have available, if they are limited I’d save them for the boss fight and use the cheap shots for the the trash mobs.

Since the gold cost climbs quickly, I wouldn’t want to use my “sure thing” upgrades early. I’d save them for when it gets expensive, to have as little donations as possible at high cost. As an example, if I have to donate 200 purses and 20 chalices, first donating the purses and then the chalices is much cheaper than first donating chalices and then donating the purses.

It really boils down to rarity distribution. If it’s anywhere close to the ingot distribution, not donating purses (and rings) won’t be an option, because those would be 99% of the treasures obtained. I didn’t participate in the beta, so I don’t really know what to expect.

1 Like

From what I understand, using gold efficiently will be your last worry. What you want at first is to upgrade your hoard quailty to level 10, so you should always bring in 5 treasures in any combinations that result in 100% quailty upgrade success rate. You have to make the best of what treasure you have, without worrying too much about gold, which can come in any modes, while treasures are exclusive to Delve.

• Sacred Treasure ×5 = Awesome! :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:
    Most effective way. You got maximum exp and % quailty chance by using minimum gold
  • Sacred Treasure x2 = Okay.
    Maximum % quailty chance, but a bit waste of treasure and gold
  • Priest’s Chalice x5 = Nice. :white_check_mark:
    Easiest maximum % quailty chance. Minimum gold spend, but using lowest Tier of treasures possible, so you get much less exp.
  • Sacred Treasure + Genie’s Lamb + Gold Ring + Coin Purse x2 = Nice.:white_check_mark:
    A bit complex, but still get maximum 100% quailty chance. Minimum gold, but lacking in exp.
  • Coin Purse ×5 = Not good.
    While you spend the less gold, your quality chance is only 25%, so it bound to fail. You get a grain of exp. as well.
  • Coin Purse x1 = Bad! :negative_squared_cross_mark:
    You just waste your gold on entry fee, and get screwed by 5% chance. Better save it for later and combine with other Treasures.
1 Like

By reading some of you, it seems that it will be easy to get Mythic Treasure…

I just remind that the most difficult achievement for Renown is to finish a Delve level 500 with only Faction’s troops. I guess that we could need bonus coming from the Treasure Hoard leveling up and a level 100 could not be enough…

1 Like

Don’t read too far in. My posts would also suggest it’s easy to get 6.7 billion gold! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t mind.

If it takes on the order of years to max out Hoard, that means some F2P player or very motivated (read: addicted) player isn’t going to get it within the first week and force every other competitive player to treat the game like a job to keep up.

Between maxing troops, kingdom power, farming for dawnbringer, and the very small chance of getting mythics, Gems of War was a game that clearly took more than a year to “finish” when I signed up last year. Now it takes even longer to reach the position I reached in 1 year. This isn’t a new thing for GoW, the only thing that’s changed is now our progress has concrete caps on acquisition. So we hope for a Pharos-Ra kind of solution for each hurdle.

I mean look at it this way: the devs said we aren’t getting a new kingdom for at least a year. That should imply we’re getting at least a year of Delve content, unless you get excited about “getting nothing” for months at a time. If Delve is their new project and they’re going to focus on it, it doesn’t make sense for it to be designed such that a competitive player can max it in a month.

So what’s the “right” period for a “long-term” task? A week? A month? Six months?

My worry is Delve will be a haphazard bolted-on feature like weapon upgrades or hero talent trees, and 4 months from now the devs will be hyping yet another new mode while the playerbase agrees Delve never fully released. It would be really nice to get a game update cycle focused on applying polish to the game.

5 Likes

I spent a good amount of time Delving during the beta, and do not think this is a bolted-on feature. I am really excited to explore this new mode with everyone and figure out what works and what doesn’t. My feeling is that it combines the best elements of Guild Wars, Raid, and GoW in general.

Always open to be convinced otherwise once more people get to review it, but for right now I’m very hyped.

7 Likes

I’m not happy for upgrades that have a chance to fail which brings us another bottleneck inside a bottleneck of limited gameplay with no guarantee to get treasures cards.

I’m not sure how far will be the next “jump” for long-term goals in new features. I understand the mentality about giving us something hard to achieve and there is no problem with that, but i feel the devs exaggerated introducing this chance of failure for upgrades. What determines the general opinion of these features is how innovative and engaging the new experience can be and having it so restricted also sort of defeats this purppose…

I prefer to remain skeptical until i can test things out.

New players are in such trouble.

3 Likes

With large enough quantities it’s just a matter of statistics. On average, donating 4x 5 purses will also get you a quality level, and at early hoard levels those donations cost next to nothing. Statistically speaking, purses are even a better deal than chalices, because one average quality level with chalices will raise your hoard level (and future costs) by 250 XP, purses it will only raise it by 200 XP.

Keep in mind that we get a new Hoard to max out each month. if it takes years to max out each one of them, it might rather turn out demotivating for addicted players, due to the ever increasing backlog.

3 Likes

WOW! Sacred treasures seem the way to go. How do we get them? Do we simply buy them with gold or are they random treasures that will be rarely seen.

Are the rewards just ingots? I play a lot of PvP and have extra ingots laying around for whenever I want to use them. They’re currently a lot easier to get for the amount you need compared to trait stones. It doesn’t seem like the rewards are worth spending the gold. What’s the gold cost per legendary ingot? 1,000,000? I’d rather spend 1,000,000 and get an arcane from the guild.

1 Like

Seems like you want to slow down your own Treasure Hoard level progress for just saving gold. I prefer to progress faster instead, despite paying more gold. I also like cold, calculated tactic with garantee result instead of being in mercy of RNGsus. 25% don’t garantee to work every 4 tries. You could get lucky on first try, then fail 10 times in a row to balance it.

There is one thing I wonder now, is Treasures craftable to become higher rarity? If not, constantly waiting for Sacred Treasure to drop for maximizing result might ended up with lower tier Treasures gathering dust. Better calculating multiple tier of Treasures for 100% chance 10 times until Quailty level 10 in any fraction first, then find another tactic.

They are mythic level, and they are in the chaos portal drop pool. So, good luck getting one. Waiting on 5 sacred treasures to do anything isn’t a viable strategy imho.

5 Likes

Final math note (for now): I have no idea what the drop rates are for the various treasures. I’m sure that as soon as 4.0 comes out someone will publish them. It will then be possible to determine what the best paths to level 100 or 1000 are that use those treasures in the correct proportions. It may turn out that the best way to use all of your treasures is to use only Coin Purses to level 20 (which is sure to be enough flips of @Fourdottwoone’s 25% coins) , and then slowly work your way up to higher treasures at higher Hoard levels. No way to know with the information I have right now!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s also important to remind why devs put these Gold Sinks: because some guilds are doing too much Legendary Tasks by week according to the devs.
So what their solution is that guild members should be “selfish” and keep their gold for themselves better than sharing their gold with their guild?

3 Likes

It’s not because a few guilds are doing more or less 100 legendary tasks each week. I think it’s more about what i discussed some days ago:

“Everyone” is generating more gold now.