Time for new moderators

I mean, that’s just like, your opinion, man.

2 Likes

This is not ’Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

This aggression will not stand, man.

It’s the internet. Not everyone is physically adult, and more than a few that are aren’t mentally adult.
(I originally wanted to post hahaha 9000 times, but that would emphasize my point too much)

In response to the opening topic/post, I’m actually a bit proud of this community when looking at a certain other thread and how the trolls are mostly ignored and the general tone of discussion remains quite civil. Especially taking the timeframe into consideration and that most people are aware of the expected response tmie.

If you want to take this stance, then you need to sign this post:

I’m free to say whatever I want to you, and exempt from any consequences. The moment you respond to something with a hint of anger, you’re banned because you’re not a responsible adult. Want to take this gamble? Do you think you’ve got thick enough skin?

I’ve never reported anyone
I make jokes, sometimes add game input, and laugh at people like u who obviously take this game and these forums way too seriously
I don’t get annoyed, I tell people to stop being annoyed at things like this that don’t matter, and revel in the fact that this post will further annoy you
Waiting for your next comical reaction
See u in an hour after u write your 3 page thesis paper, single spaced new times roman font please :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah I mean at the end of the day though, it still follows:

My posts are about the game and what I think about it. Occasionally I take a detour and try to tell someone they have good points but stated them wrong. At the end of the day, I often do want to leave the place better than I left it. I fail at that a lot.

But what you’re telling me is you don’t really care. You’re just here to tell other people they’re wrong. Or you don’t even care about that and just post whatever comes to your mind. You just pass through the forums like a gas station burrito, with nary a care as to whether you’re making things better or worse. You’ll make some repartee in response to this, but it’ll just be some statement that you care less than I do.

It means conversation with you is like a gas station burrito. Nobody picks it up on its own merits. What follows is always regret. What a thing to be proud of!

1 Like

In with the old, out with the new.

The devs moderate these forums with extreme prejudice. The moderators of which you speak are a pure smokescreen

4 Likes

Very much so: observable whether we are in the receiving short end of that stick, or by keeping an eye on the forum and seeing how ‘impartial’ certain moderators are.
:face_with_monocle: :sweat_smile: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I have been following this thread, and I do have some things to add!

In most cases, letting members of the community become moderators means that the power goes to their head. It’s hard to stay impartial when you’re ONLY a player and not a member of the team AND a player. Everyone has different ideas on what is fair, and a lot of the time the guidelines are interpreted by the person doing the moderating. Not everyone will interpret the guidelines the same and may be unintentionally biased. This is a bigger risk with moderators from the community as they come into the position with strong ties to certain guilds, opinions, and other players.

@Lyya is a notable exception to this. Lyya is the only player I have ever empowered to mod, due to their consistently demonstrated fair treatment and calm demeanour. I doubt I will encounter another player like @lyya that I trust to moderate again, as they are the rare exception to the above point.

I know a lot of you will say you wouldn’t be biased, but before doing so I ask that you have a long, hard look at yourselves and your post history.

I know it seems like we would have less arguments if there were more moderators, but I doubt this. It is more likely that over time we would see subtle biases from community moderators lead to more fighting and dissent. Also, just because there are more moderators, doesn’t mean people will change their behaviour. Even when I have banned players from the forums, or issued more warnings, many users behaved the same way, or we saw their behaviour escalate. At the end of the day, some people don’t respond well to moderation, no matter how reasonable, active and fair it is. It might sound cliche, but the best way to have a better forum experience is to treat yourselves, each other, and the developers with respect.

On another note, I have loosened the reigns on the flagging system to make things easier, and overall the flagging wars have improved.

If something extreme happens that you believe does need stronger mod action, please PM myself or Kafka explaining why so we can look into it further. If the poster has violated guidelines we will issue bans as necessary. Annoying you, or disagreeing with you, does not count. There must be an example of one or more violations of the community guidelines.

6 Likes

All you have done is accentuate the fact that you police everything you possibly can to preserve the non existent integrity of those who pay your salary. Trying to make us look stupid often has the opposite effect.

3 Likes

A little more hate, discontent, and drama is good for the game. It’s why people pay, play, and stay.

1 Like

All I really get out of that is:

• You don’t trust anyone but @Lyya, which is overall true but there’s 4 or 5 worthy players you just blanket-dissed and their feelings are probably hurt.
  • You think a moderation style where a troll is actively abusing the forums with impunity for 4-5 days with no activity or even a comment from the “worthy” is adequate.

I think those words speak for themselves, and I’ve started removing my emotional investment from this community anyway. @UKResistance is right. What this community needs is more people unafraid to harass each other. It’s a shame the most obvious troll on the forum has a better view of how to treat it than you.

2 Likes

The righteoous? If I had the time, I could sort this all out.

But for just a moment of peace. A little piece of Silverglade, perhaps a slice of Pan’s Glade.

I’m back, back in a Grosh-Nak mood. Grosh-Nak mood

I believe there are at least four, maybe five, good candidates to be a mod, all of them from different guilds and backgrounds. I won’t mention names but people who are generally invested in this game and in this forum can probably guess at least two.

And the question: “Who watches the Watchmen?” seems very appropriate. It would be easier, in my opinion, for you and the game staff to review the actions taken by your mods, when they feel the need to do so, than checking every thread or HOPE that people do the right and report issues in a timely manner that ALSO fits your own schedule and timezone or working hours.

But well, my suggestion was made, heard and addressed. For all that matters this topic can be closed if there is no way for you or the rest of the team to reconsider.

6 Likes

Who someone is as a poster and who they might be as a mod can be two very different things. How you act as yourself can be different than when you put your “professional” manners on.

7 Likes

You’re not wrong @Riversong, but sometimes it isn’t worth the risk considering what can happen. (And what I have seen happen in communities before!)

I understand that not everyone will like my reasoning behind my decision, but I wanted to reply to this thread as people have been linking me to to it outside of the forums and thought many of you would appreciate a response.

As I mentioned before, if a player violates community guidelines, please contact myself or Kafka and we will take further action. However, please remember that we will not warn or ban unless violations of the guidelines have occurred. I always try my best to let people talk about what they wish in the the way they wish on these forums as long as it is within our guidelines. When violations occur, please contact us so we can review the posts and act on their content.

3 Likes

It’s fair to mention that @Lyya has been in guild none for years and probably spends more time modding and maintaining her website than actually playing GoW.
Which makes her truly neutral, as impartial as possible and not nearly as passionate about changes to GoW whether good or bad.
@Taransworld is in a similar boat to her. But just because someone qualifies for the job, doesn’t mean they want the job. :man_shrugging:
I hear what Salty is saying though. I could easily mod any other discourse community website. But not the GoW one. I’m too close to it. I think many of you would feel the same way if you self reflected about it enough.

2 Likes

I don’t think this part was:

But having a quick look at the badges related to trust levels that grant mod powers, it looks like there’s only “Regular” and then “Leader”. ‘Re-categorise’ could be returned to Regulars, but you’d potentially have to demote a whole bunch of people if you didn’t want all Regulars to have access to that.

I can say there have been times when new/other players post what seems like a bug report, but without a category, and it would probably be useful to be able to re-categorise them to make them more visible to Support – but I also know there was an issue aaages ago with certain forum members (or just one?) abusing this. The Regular trust level was made harder to get to now, though, and setting up rules for and watching the watchpeople seems like potentially a reasonable counter to this (to also prevent the gung-ho, “Yo this is obviously feedback ya durr, changed it for ya!!”) (→if in doubt, leave it).

Yeah but I know enough about how the staff treats things they are not even slightly interested in: “We will politely say ‘Thanks, but no thanks.’ and it’s up to you peeps to catch our hint and :duck: off…”

1 Like