There seems to be A LOT of bad cards in this game...?

So I’m new to the game, but from what I can tell there are a lot of really bad cards in this game. In the three days I started playing, I’ve pulled four Legendaries (thanks to my guild) and I’m coasting through the campaign and quests…and some PVP.

Why on Earth would anyone use white or green cards when there are so many better ones?

What am I missing.

Love this game btw. I’m coming from playing Hearthstone for three years (spent 5k on that game), so this is an nice change.

1 Like

Those are fodders for storylines purpose.

There’s also the fact that you can ascend all cards to Mythic level, if you get enough of them. Sure, you probably still wouldn’t use a mythic-level Peasant, but even then, a fully ascended, leveled and traited Common still adds to the power of the kingdom they’re from, (which grants you overall bonuses) so you’d still want them in your collection even if you’ll never use them in battle.

2 Likes

5k as in 5000$ on Hearthstone!!!

I am playing that game too but I haven’t spent a Dime. Whether this game or Hearthstone money helps ya but it doesn’t make you OP compare to other games

Fire Bomb is a white Common card that kills itself, damages an enemy, and blows up 3 gems, but also has Empowered, allowing it to do so first turn. It has a niche of activating ally-death effects, generating fast mana to kickstart more expensive cards, and leaving a space for teams that can summon replacements easily. There’s no similar card of a higher rarity that accomplishes all of this; I use Fire Bomb way more than about half of the Legendaries in this game.

As others have mentioned, good cards need bad cards to make them feel more powerful, but rarity isn’t the only indicator of a card’s power/usefulness.

7 Likes

The OP has forgotten how collectible card games work. In Magic: the Gathering, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and whatever else, some cards are better than others. Cards at higher rarities are harder to get than cards at lower rarities, but they’re also more powerful.

6 Likes

Nope. I haven’t “forgotten” anything, but thanks.

If you’ll permit the old, old reference, Benalish Hero in MtG is a 1/1 creature with Banding. Even when it came out, it was horrible compared to other cards in its set (power creep since Revised has done it no favors). It exists because Wizards of the Coast needed cards at different power scales to justify their rarity tiers. Gems of War does the same thing. I’m surprised to hear Hearthstone doesn’t. Is it really the case that all the cards are equally powerful and useful?

2 Likes

Don’t disregard every common and rare troop, there are some very useful ones too.
Valkyrie for example is rare but still used end game.
Even i have a common troop in my pvp core team that’s not Fire Bomb (not sharing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).
More importantly is how well you make them sync with your team.

For every Benalesh Hero, there is a Llanowar Elves or Lightning Bolt released at common. There’s a similar theme here in Gems, too.

Then you run into things like Fire Bomb, or even the other common troop that explodes itself for AoE damage, which are MASSIVE in their own right. I haven’t played Gems in a while, so I don’t have any other specifics to bring up, other than Valkyrie, who is a Rare, and probably still one of the most powerful cards in the game.

Edit: Bombot, I think the card was called. Also yes, Valkyrie is our Llanowar Elves.

Nuance.

@Fiara, I kinda liked the “Vault” better. :slightly_smiling_face:

(I believe that was your avatar before, no? Can’t remember for sure.)

This is our official guild logo that was created by one of our members :blush:

Your memory is correct though i had a vault picture before.

From Korea i presume?
My root lies there.

For loot crates to work, there has to be a lot of trash.

1 Like

I was crafted in Soulforge stateside, though I do share that common trait of my troop type…

Angst. :upside_down_face:

I’m one of those “bad cards.” (See? On topic. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Going off on this tangent, I was there when it was released and played with it, and it wasn’t “horrible”. Obviously being in the first set Alpha, no one knew exactly what “power” or usefulness was but with that card pool, being able to control where combat damage was dealt was not bad.

As a mechanic, banding wasn’t that bad either, but apparently was “too complicated” for most players to understand (much like Interrupts).

Commons that I would still use in teams at end-game:

• Dwarven gate
  • Snowy owl
  • Dwarven miner
  • Thrall
  • Bogstrider
  • Fire bomb
  • Bombot
  • Goblin
  • Wraith

At one point, rock worm and scale guard have been part of meta teams.

For rare cards, the amount I would still use is too numerous to post here but many of the best mana generators are rare

1 Like