The game is dying and nothing is done to change it

That’s good response respect

A couple of months ago there was some modicum of skill associated with events. Expenditure was nowhere near as prolific because players just weren’t good enough at general play or team building to justify another hit on american express. Potions changed all that. Any skill essence associated with event LB position evaporated overnight. New content of this nature just intensifies the grind, the expense (for those so inclined), the boredom, and the palpable realisation that any quality the game ever had has now gone forever. As Earnham said, wars is the only test, but even the skill element associated with that has been negatively coerced by empowered nonsense.

I like empowered. I actually look for it to counter out other empowers. It adds a slight bit of luck to the starting board, but overall wont change a thing. I will be a top bracket 1 player no matter what they throw out there.

Look at this callout, why would you hurt me so? @PeperandSalt

The forums are only a very small subsect of our playerbase. I see a lot of people across our other numerous social channels talking about how there is a lot of content in game, and that they feel overwhelmed. The place I observe this feedback most often is Facebook.

You are more than welcome to go to our Facebook and trawl through the numerous messages we get daily to find them all. There’s a lot. Have fun!

source%20(9)

2 Likes

The minority argument of the forums, while true, is a looking at it the wrong way. I think it is safe to say that the forum is probably the most active and disscucive of the game at length.

I agree there is a lot to do, BUT, it is not overwhelming to an endgamer while stagnating on the ability to have a consistent progression towards a goal in terms of collection. Soulforge not having old weapons and excess of lesser orbs are such examples.

I like a lot of the newer content for better or worse, but I feel a challenge is lacking for a strategic mode and while delves are close, it does eventually turn into a stats game. We need an alternative in a different direction or something like arena.

I don’t think the game is dying, but your active, interconnected playerbase is. I’ve recruited people at level 1000 and I could play circles around them at level 200.

Minority we may be, but we are dying off as the dev communication lines have been mostly disconnected outside of you, Kafka, and Cyrup. I think you guys do great, but I hate whenever a big issue comes up an “everything is fine” or “no comment” answer is given most of the time. I strongly dislike the secrecy and while I can mostly assume it is the publisher, it also bothers me in that trends and changes we notice get ignored or swept aside. I mean DR got a bad change with transform changes, the initial threads gave a lot of great suggestions, which a variant was used… a year later.

TLDR: I think the old playerbase feels ignored and forgotten with every change having more secrecy than Area 51. An actual update, poll, or something here and there would be nice so we feel like the feedback is received.

5 Likes

Yeah, KYLENATOR makes some good points.

I don’t find myself agreeing with either premise of the thread title.

I don’t think the game is dying because I just don’t see activity falling off. There are a lot of reasons to not start the game but people play past them. I’ve been surrounded by enthusiastic players the entire time I’ve been here and while some of the names have changed, if anything the circle has grown.

I don’t think “nothing is done to change it”. I think a big part of the playerbase would argue “too much changed, it was already fine”. I could pick one or two sore points where I feel the response has been inadequate, but I can also look back at three or four where something has been done. I can nitpick about whether I thought it was fast enough but at some point I’m just trying to be sour for the sake of being sour and I think I’ve done enough fo that wallowing for now.

Anyway back to the preceding post: I’ve never liked how secretive the devs can be. We don’t find much out about an update at all until practically the day before. The last time we had a beta, the testers weren’t given access to the majority of the biggest features in the release. It makes it feel like the updates are something forced on players, not something players can discuss and be excited about before they arrive.

There are a lot of features that are “being looked at”, but when something sits with no information and no ETA for long enough, it makes one wonder just how closely it’s being looked at. It’s probably true the devs just have a lot of plates in the air. But since there’s never any indication exactly what’s going into an update, we have no visibility into whether the devs are busting their backs to deliver far-reaching features or just taking a pool on when the next post about old weapons is going to show up. I get that even with better visibility, there’d be displeasure about whether they’re looking at the RIGHT things, but I think that’s better than having that displeasure PLUS suspicion they aren’t looking at things at all.

Anyway I think we’ve all sort of had a bad week. Let’s calm down a little.

4 Likes

Guild wars is the only thing I like. You all said we would be overwhelmed if gws ran every week. So its once a month yet the other content is a waste of time. Especially with the potions you cant lose. I would like gws every week. Its the only mode that requires thinking . The rest is just keep purchasing potions and you won’t lose. Boring nonense to me.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed any pauses, but my game does seem to be crashing a lot more often now, or freezing after battles…

I seem to be game crashing more frequently too, which is particularly annoying in sigil events; I view the new faction today with same trepidation as a result. I don’t think many of us don’t welcome new content as such, but the time commitment that is required to get the rewards in individual events could be looked at. Faction events are time consuming. They could be shortened without compromising the gem investment/reward ratio. Some people have way more time than others, but playing 10 hours a day is not my idea of a good time. That’s often what LB takes in single day events if you want power orbs. Capping tier buy ins would give those who work a better chance to compete, rather than sacrificing their entire weekend in a futile attempt to catch up.

The original post is half right (given the extremely limited information I have and inference). Yes, this game is “dying” - by that, I mean it seems to have plateaued and is on the down side of the curve. Downhill, not an abandon ship scenario. What would you expect from a almost 4 year old free to play game (at least on the Xbox One)?

I would guess the single greatest recent boost in userbase was the Switch launch and retention numbers on other platforms should be declining (this would happen regardless of what the Devs do).

Basically, the only pseudo- information I have is something like Steam Spy. The F2P model has never made any sense to me anyway (and there has to be a “sunset period” planned for). I used to play around with Game Room leaderboards (try to estimated individual game sales), so it would be kind of fun to play around with numbers (assuming I could still do that) - but there is not really a baseline to work with.

As for other things…

• There is not really too much content - there is too much time demand for the content (like Guild Wars, Invasions, Pet Rescues, Delves, etc)
  • I’ve stated before I don’t really like the new content - it feels pretty “samey”. Fight enemies that scale to a ridiculous level. Change has never been something I like (and it feels like there is far too much randomness in this game - another thing i’m not a fan of)
  • The Devs are adding content, that is at least a little better than fellow 505 games like Battle Ages, Battle Islands, etc. Now, the quality/usefullness of that content is debatable.
2 Likes

There’s a hard limit to what can be added to a set game after all.
GoW is at its core a match 3 combined with elements of rpg and CCG. Can’t really add stuff that don’t fit in that core, can’t add like real time fights when the core is asyncronuous, can’t add like castle building micromanagement elements when the core is focused on macromanagement, can’t add sim elements when the core is CCG focused, etc.

What could be added is more purist core modes, a back to the roots mode for example. Nowdays, 90% of the content is stat based, not skill based. Every fight, from explore to tod and even gw is stats vs stats, the skill element is minimal (nudging on abyssmal since the advent of potions).

A much welcome addition would be skill based modes, either a revamp of the existing arena and treasure hunts, or brand new modes where match 3-ing skills and planning do decide the outcome, instead of stats and potions.

Maybe a treasure hunt campaign, shadowing the ordinary story mode, by having various kingdom based treasure hunts/missions? Maybe Lil’ Johhny going on a treasure hunt spree through Krystara (with the expected otcome of having its butt kicked in various ways).

Maybe local arena tournaments, kingdom based and randomly spawning/starting? (Combining the randomness of gnomes with the skill based fights of arena)

The list can be made long, I’m sure.

THAT would be a hell of a new content wave, fitting in the existing core modes, and negating the need to experiment (and break) systems and stuff.

1 Like

pseudo-baseline based off of “Snapshot” of PVP leader boards on/around May 17, 2019 (account with no PVP battles fought, rounded up), I am not sure if steam and mobile are the same leaderboard.

• Xbox One - 11,000
  • Steam - 67,000
  • Android - 65,000 (looked at earlier than Steam)
  • Apple - ? (never had Apple product, doubt I ever will)
  • Nintendo Switch - ? (don’t have)
  • PS4 - ? (don’t have)