The Faction Designer(s)

In a likely unpopular opinion, most of the delve design is good, just a bit repetitive.

Themed troops are nice. Werewoods troops are conceptually neat.
Many of the layouts are neat.
The quest lines are neat, assuming its read and not rushed as quick as possible to get straight to into the delves.

Delve rooms, delve rewards, long term faction rewards and individual faction rewards are all repetitive. When Delves first came out, it was great that there was finally a good source of Legendary and Mythic ingots. So even though I have way too many of each now, I don’t feel overly bad that they exist.

The big problem is the expectation of using the pure faction troops, especially in a mirror match at Level 500. Without that, most of the issues would go away. Its just not balanced properly, since the enemies do too much damage compared to what players have access to in stats on average (does anyone think Treasure Hoard 999 is realistic?) and there’s very little player choice to conquer the problem. The regular delves are fine because players have access to many more tools that allow for options to beat delves with creativity.

The solution was to never have that use a full pure faction team requirement. You don’t see the other modes “force” the use of specific troops, just highly suggest it to the point of wanting to use them (even bounty). Imagine being forced to play Tower of Doom with the matching Doom on your team. If anything, faction troops should have bonus stats to encourage use, but not actually be required to beat the faction for renown.

Since they can’t take it back at this point, they could reduce the requirement from finishing level 500 with the pure faction to finishing say level 200 or level 300 for the max amount of points. It would just be adjusting the value of points given per level completed with faction troops. There would still be complaints about faction troops, but most factions would be a grin and bear it at Level 200/300. Before the devs decide to do it, but drop it to 400 only, no 400 is not a good location to stop either.

Many of the bad factions will still encourage potions and people will still have to buy Tier 7s to finish the delve to 500 on an event day/weekend. Status quo without the headaches…

22 Likes

Yes. That’s basically it.
I’d have no issue with the Faction troops they design if they had a shred of synergy between the 4. Or at least enough synergy not to rely on money or luck for success.
When I see someone go 30-0 in GW and score 30k points it means nothing to me because there’s no skill in that.
The same feeling is starting to be met with folks who get Factions to 2500… It’s not about skill. It’s about luck, money, and time. I’m still jealous of those with Max renown. But when someone goes 30-0 and scores 56k+ in GW Bracket 1… I am envious of their Superior GW performance. Someone who has max renown currently… I’m only envious of their patience to endure such a shitty, shitty, shitty game design.

12 Likes

And they absolutely don’t care.

2 Likes

Yep. I’d be fine with RNG-based gimmicky faction teams if I didn’t have to use them to clear a 5 room delve when significantly outstatted.

I’ve cleared many factions with 7 power potions, but I honestly have no idea how many next month’s release will take. I just don’t see a consistent way to win 5 games in a row spawning 8 skulls at a time.

There’s still time for a tweak; I’d vote for making the legendary just deal [magic+3] damage to all enemies and removing the other two spell options. That would make the faction team doable.

2 Likes

I would still like a new Mythic tied to each faction, but it could be a Legendary as well. We’re all familiar with how fast rats and bunnies can multiply, but we’re supposed to believe Rattigar and Lapinas can’t? Vanya can raise new troops from the dead, but Setauri can’t?

I do appreciate a challenge now and again. I left a b2 guild last year because I wanted to dump gold into delves. ASE and Silver Necropolis have 3 rooms to clear, while these others have 5, with no way to get reinforcements. That’s beyond my gold earning capabilities.

I haven’t even tried Fang Moor today, when normally I’d at least get the vault key reward. I’m just too burnt out. Three weeks until next GW though. There’s always a bright spot.

1 Like

Oh yes, not just factions, the entire game is filled with engaging complex stories and shows incredible character development. Especially the many dialogue options presented to the player and the consequences of those choices.
:joy: :rofl: :joy: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Excellent idea. My vote would be level 250, just double the points you get and it still works out to a total of 2500 points.

1 Like

That would mean a massive drop in gems spent so I don’t see that ever happening.

My main issue with delves is not the difficulty or even the design but the time required to get to lv 500 in events.

3 Likes

Btw how come we can change the vote?

Even tho is comfy seen i passed from my PoW (trained stuff) to devs PoW (great designs, gems and money everywhere :3) is the first time ever i see a poll where i can change the vote afterwards ;p (in a couple of days guess can put maybe hehe).

Sirrian did say potions weren’t supposed to be the intended solution to the problem of the pure faction battles. I’d hate to see him go back on his word…

1 Like

We all know commitment comes with compromise (give/take) and we are okay with that as long as there continues to be a mutual benefit.
Take: A gold nerf
Give: Complete shift in how I play
Take: Bugs in Guild Wars
Give: Continue focused participation albeit disheartened & less fun
Take: Pure Faction success requiring RL time & money
Give: Deciding…
Since I am starting to worry about that poor proverbial camel’s back, I must consider staying away from Faction events.
Please, please find a way to improve the balance. Your dedication to us strengthens our dedication to the game.

3 Likes

Because people can change their mind and most aren’t going to change their vote simply because they can. Most…

A big time saver would be if every Faction only required 3 rooms to clear a level.
Werewoods took 5 rooms to clear a level.
That’s 66% more time at least than All Seeing Eye.
Because the developers are honest that they don’t have time to play Gems of War due to their 40 hour work week. Yet, they think their customers have all the time in the world. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

That said, the devs may want to point to player engagement periods as a metric for their publisher. There may be an element of moral hazard, where Sirrian’s stated desires about how players should play are at odds with the financial incentive to keep the game running and the lights on. It’s unlikely anyone from 505 or Infinity Plus Two would ever confirm this, though.

6 Likes

One of the reasons people feel like they need to spend so much time on Tuesdays or on new faction release dates is because of the 3 delve restriction per day. Here’s my current list:

Also this assumes perfect runs with no causalities both in non-faction and pure-faction runs.

1 Like

Is… is this chart somehow upside down? Sea of Sorrow, Dark Pits, Sunken Fleet and Werewoods complete, but not Crypt Keepers, All-Seeing Eye or Primal Rift? :laughing:

1 Like

Good point. It’s high time they recruited full time testers to do exactly this and provide feedback about how mundane and psychologically negative this entire genre really is. The devs clock off on Friday leaving us to grind this horror, should we choose to do so. Compound that with repeated nerfs to gold chest rewards and so forth. Feedback from the testers on Monday morning to a totally refreshed bunch of devs would make salty choke on her coffee and croissants. I suggest a dev takes 3 days off midweek and plays the same weekend faction that we do.

By this point, those of us who have tried to do it are exasperated, even if we won. Victory of faction max is absolutely without satisfaction…we are just relieved that we never have to do it again.

1 Like

what do you think about the faction event being on tuesday and wednesday? and after the first PVP victory on Wednesday, does the pet event activate for a relatively longer period of time (but not all day)?

When those delves came out, I wasn’t investing gems to complete the delves to 2500 renown on release, which I do now. Also when they came out, I’m not sure if potions of power were a thing yet, maybe.

Isn’t it kind of funny that they release these four faction troops and most of us use them only long enough to complete the delve at 500, and then never use them in that faction team again? Basically that “Horde Faction Bonus” per Kingdom and the pets and everything are for nothing.

2 Likes