The Chinese localization of the latest card description is still using machine translation

What card is incorrect, and what does it say?

2 Likes

Result 34 injured an enemy and sealed them. If our attack is more violent and irritates ourselves, Otherwise, if we are attacked by the opponent, we will lose 10 points.

Result? What’s result? Machine translation result?

Sealed? More Violent? Attacked by the opponent?

What’s the meaning of these?

7 Likes

Yikes…

That’s a real shame. Hope this gets fixed.

Irritates ourselves = enrage :rofl:

2 Likes

Omg this is hilarious.

Thanks for posting the pictures. The community had to ask for them because otherwise we don’t know what’s being talked about.

Either this is a machine translation, or whoever they hired to translate is using google translate and hoping no one checks which is a safe assumption.

2 Likes

Screenshot(17)

Screenshot(18)

Google translate does a better job, apparently.

5 Likes

Google translate is so polite. “Please anger yourself” :rofl:

2 Likes

The description was actually intended for the upcoming ‘All your base’ troop.

You have no chance to survive make your time

To be fair. It looks like a machine wrote the English translation from English as well. So it’s not specific to the Chinese language. “Eliminate their attack by 10.”

Is how a robot would mistranslate a number being reduced by 10 permanently.

I’m starting to think @Saltypatra is the only human left at Infinity Plus 2 and basically 505 Games is just an alias for Skynet.

1 Like

A while back they said “eliminate” was going to be their new keyword any time they meant “reduce” :man_shrugging:

In an attempt to standardize their language. Which will never happen because they keep switching what the “standard” is (and they never bother to go back and update “out-of-date” or misleading text to conform to the new “standards” they roll out).

EDIT(s) for links:

5 Likes

Ewww. :pensive:

But thanks. At least we know it wasn’t a mistake then. Just an unwise decision.

1 Like

I just filtered by “eliminate”. Warhound has a nice wording:
“Eliminate X attack from the first enemy.”

There are currently 31 enemies with the word “Eliminate”

Meanwhile Accursed still uses “All enemies lose 2 random skill points” instead of “Eliminate 2 random skill points from all enemies”

I’m sure the list goes on. But will stop before I derail the thread.

3 Likes

They did rework an old troop to say eliminate, you’re right. I shouldn’t say “never.”

It’s just too piecemeal to matter, I think; Warhound only got a rework because it’s so often seen in the Arena, so it was part of that update.

But also — using machines, or a terrible translator, is pretty :poop:. The Chinese playerbase deserves better, so I hope this thread will get some attention from @Saltypatra so she can pass it up the chain of command.

1 Like

Best do that before Shimrra notices and feels his blood pressure spike. He’s been tilting at this particular windmill for years now.

3 Likes

I still have my fingers crossed they end up settling on exterminate.

“Eliminate” usage aside, the Chinese text here is massively more messed up than a word being iffy. It doesn’t even make logical sense. Either a machine did it or the translator has no idea what they’re doing. Either way, shame on IP2 for treating the Chinese playerbase like this.

4 Likes

Just realized (which might’ve been clear in the first thread about this but I didn’t keep up to date on it) that the first characters 结果 mean “Result/Effect/Outcome”. In other words, they translated the full thing: “Effect: Spell description”

2 Likes

That makes more sense then since it’s “Result 34 injured an enemy and sealed them”. The rest of the translation is terrible, but is still grammatically correct. The “result” here doesn’t fit. …Now we know why. :rofl:

It’s the 3rd decade of the 21st century. Stop dissing machines! The Google translations shown above are actually very decent, so the problem is not “machine translation”. I mean the fact that the text round-trips tells you something. Yes we don’t use “anger” in the game, but it’s semantically the same thing.

Sure, but my point is it appears pretty likely a human didn’t do this. Google Translate may work fine, but there’s not guarantee that’s the program being used.

If a human DID make this, it’s worse.

1 Like