The 3rd GoW Forum Fantasy Series - Round 3: 9 vs 12

Welcome one and all to the Gems of War Forum Fantasy contest, series 3! Everyone is welcome to vote in each match and your vote will determine who wins and advances on to the next round. Here are some guidelines to follow when deciding on who to vote.

• Vote according to your own rules. Is it a best of whatever? Is it Player vs Player or AI vs AI? You can choose, but always assume it is a fair fight.
  • Each troop and their rarity will be listed below. For exact stats, a link will be provided using @Lyya’s fantastic database application so you can see exactly what each troop can do, how strong they are, and other bonuses they may receive.
  • All troops are fully traited as well, so keep this in mind as it may not be reflected in the list.
  • This is the semi-finals so the winners of these matches will face each other for 1st and 2nd, and the losers square off for 3rd and 4th.

With that, let’s get onto the matches!

Third Round: #9 kzinitwife vs. #12 Zelfore

User: @kzintiwife

Banner: Sword’s Banner (+1 Blue Match, +1 Yellow Match)

Troops and Position:
Sacred Guardian (Epic)
Shadow-Hunter (Epic)
Proud Hunter (Epic)
Marilith (Epic)

TEAM SUMMARY

VS

User: @Zelfore

Banner: Banner of Scales (+1 Red Match, +1 Blue Match)

Troops and Position:
Jarl Firemantle (Mythic)
Winter Knight (Ultra Rare)
Jackelope (Rare)
Queen Mab (Legendary)

TEAM SUMMARY

• kzinitwife
  • Zelfore

0 voters

POLL ENDS: SUNDAY 6/19/16 at 12PM Central Time

LINKS
7 VS 11
9 VS 12

Good luck one and all!

2 Likes

Good luck everyone!

1 Like

That 100% start after several votes. xD

He was 5-0 in his last match too. Then 5-5 after 10 votes so I’m counting nothing out.

1 Like

As per my usual code, I shall debate if the opponent does, or if I am falling behind.

Otherwise, I shall continue to sit and watch. Good luck competitors! :slight_smile:

1 Like

sorry guys - i was out with another bad allergy attack. no epi-pen so far this time… my debate be out shortly

2 Likes

for taking damage:

• the first troop has a 25% skull damage reduction,
  • 2nd troop has 20% chance of dodging,
  • 3rd position pride hunter cant be targeted.

Other cool things about my team

• sacred guardian will add 2 points to a stat on all my troops, and since he cannot be entangled will be able to always use his skull attack, he also gets a 25% skull match reduction.

• Shadow hunter will get 1 blue on matchs and +1 magic from hunter

• Pride hunter will give shadow hunter and himself +2 life, and will also get +2 magic from himself and marilith

• Marilith gives all +2 attack, we will get red bonus on matchs, and +1 attack each time she takes damage.

• So I will get bonus mana on blue+2, yellow, red

the attack

• because most of my troups take very little mana, it will slow queen and jackelope.
  • first will be for queen mab, as getting shadow hunter filled as fast as possible.
  • next to go will be jackelope.
  • pride hunter will be targeting the first troop, preventing his spell to be fired
  • winter knights barrier will be held with marilith’s AEO.

this will be a tough battle.

oh and PS: i have his team fully traited and all mythic… running my team against his without fully traited, i can beat it about 90% of the time. (i dont have shadow hunter nor marilith traited at all) - so the team is actually a lot stronger than it appears.

Disregarding the fact it’s Player versus Ai, I’ll now provide my counter-argument. :wink:

My first troops to gather mana for are Jackalope and Jarl, the mana generators. As per normal, any 4+ match is a Burn and a Freeze which none of my opponent’s troops are immune to.

If Jarl is first to charge, spam Fire Hammer for 4+ matches.
Jarl also does a solid 15(16?) damage against Sacred Guardian, so even Armored is a duct tape wall.

If Jackalope, hold out for 4+ match and target damage Marilith.

Jacklope damage scale: (Base 7 Magic +1 Air Spirit)
Sacred Guardian (11 Mana) = Max 19 Damage
Shadow-Hunter (13 Mana) = Max 21 Damage
Pride Hunter (8 Mana) = Max 16 Damage
Marilith (12 Mana) = Max 20 Damage

Shadow-Hunter can’t take out my Queen Mab, even with a Sacred Guardian or Marilith follow up (and won’t both be charged). And considering S-H and QM share the same Mana colors, there won’t be a second fire.

• My first target will be Shadow-Hunter, two direct shots and they’re out, and that’s if burn doesn’t hit at any point. (With Burn, 1 spell hit and dead!)

• Next is Marilith, removing the half mana-blocked gem destroyer will slow down mana generation to pure match reliance. No True damage also make Winter Knight a very happy fellow! And this is all if Queen Mab doesn’t fire by this point, thanks to Arcane she could kill a fully charged Marilith is one shot! Very fragile foe.

• Pride Hunter, because Silence isn’t fun, not that it’ll be a big deal after a cast or two when Jarl can’t spam the board with this troops favorite color.

• Sacred Guardian is last because it’s a slow, predictable troop. Jackelope already kills one of it’s colors, with the other being quite helpful to Jarl. Mana Burn or just general Burn will weed down this troop quite nicely.

I don’t expect to come out of this battle unscathed. I expect Queen Mab to be a big target, but she’s not required after a troop or two. If she fires off once I’ve gained a massive lead.

Jarl has a good chance of hanging on by the hair of his flaming beard, Huge giving +2 Life will play a main part in his survival (as well as the Leader trait).

Jackalope is a fragile one, but he’s also faster to charge, so he’ll be sure to do some damage before going out, if it makes it that far.

Winter Knight is my back up plan in the incident the opponent stops targeting the back troops to team up on Jarl, his high armor gain and Barrier will give Jackalope or Queen Mab to Mana Burn the remaing troops to oblivion!

Summery: My team has plenty of room for error, and if we’re talking a fair fight, then any number of luck my enemy pulls I get as well and vice-versa. Of course my team also has troops to manipulate the board to my advantage, and that does not play into the luck factor! (Except Jarl, but that luck diminishs the more Red/Yellow on the board.)

Best of luck, @kzintiwife!

And here comes the comeback once again. Looks like the one time huge gap has been halved. We got ourselves a match going on.

Congratulations @Zelfore and thank you to @kzintiwife for playing!

Hope you both are back for the 4th Series :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Zelfore — glad i lost to a good team and not just a … squirrel :smiley: just kidding @Grimmorith

2 Likes