The 1st GoW Forum Fantasy Series: The Tournament - First Round

Let me try to explain my setup.

Firstly, there’s no Karakoth bonus, that’s just a minor error.

My team, fitting to the name, revolves around boosting and hitting with Abhorath. A rather easy feet to accomplish when considering his backup.

Star Gazer sets things in motion by shooting off very early thanks to Empowered, immediately increasing Abhorath’s attack. (She gets +3 Magic thanks to Magic Spirit, and possibly more depending on Blessed)

The next focus is using the +2 Green Banner to your advantage and powering Giant Spider asap, collecting some reds along the way to use with Aziris whenever is appropriate.

Once you’ve shot off Giant Spider, Big & Huge activate to increase health on Spider and Abhorath, respectively. Thanks to both Aziris and Giant Spider both having Magic Link, Abhorath’s guaranteed to be fully energized with a well timed cast, some if which is likely to spill over into Aziris and Star Gazer.

After a cast from Abhorath, he’ll be sufficiently boosted to handle any unfortunate hit coming his way, and the moment two skulls are inches apart, a cast from Aziris is sure to knockout even a Stoneskin opponent in 1-2 hits by this point.

Abhorath will continue to increase his max health with every 4+ match, making his lifespan every time he shoots his spell that much sturdier. He also gets +3 to every stat when he inevitably kills an opponent, furthering his bulk.

Negative Points Countered:
Aziris is the only guarantee for Abhorath has for skull damage, however, thanks to the likely hood of 10+ purple gems on the board (easily accomplished with Giant Spider), he’ll also immediately refill his mana to hit again next turn. (Or the same turn if a 4+ skull match was made.)

Star Gazer doesn’t have much purpose after her initial cast, but she’s good for collecting spill over and is excellent board control depending on when you cast her.

My team’s biggest week point is the lack of Brown & Yellow mana collection, but these do make excellent targets for Giant Spider’s spell with no self-mana denial.

That’s all I’ve got to say, win or lose I look forward to the results of this tournament! Good luck competitors!

Great explanations everyone!

This is exactly how I envisioned The Series to develop, with such enthusiastic participation :slight_smile:

Fully-Traited is stated in the Guidelines, and level is up to your assumptions. As long as you assume the same scenario for both teams, then it will be a fair decision.

I voted for actreality, having fun that team (sans rocket) many times before. Slime can easily fill bd and skeleton making for quick wins!

1 Like

But Slime will also create Purple matches for KoS (as will my Wight… and the free mana from Sunweaver).

It really comes down to the fact that both teams are geared toward feeding their skull generators (Bone Dragon vs Keeper of Souls), so who will hit harder? The clear advantage goes to my team since Sunweaver gives out a massive Attack boost. And my team is more flexible since it also has Druid and Wight to deal damage if the skull matches are slow to come.

Whoever fills their Purple/Brown Legendary first will win between @actreal & @Studs

My build is all about buying time. Herdmaster is top due to Leader, and is also the mana feeder. Templar and Alastair build up everypony’s armor while the Goblin King feasts on everything in sight. As long as Herdmaster can remain alive, his explosions will feed everyone, and Templar can get extra turns due to his board manipulation. The ultimate goal is to make the bottom two nigh unkillable, and if Alastair should fall, the world’s fattest goblin will absorb as many hits as needed, beefing himself up further when no skulls are available to match. It truly is an endurance test.

That said, if someone can take out GK with targeting/bottom-attacking troops and skull-kill Herdmaster, Alastair will need to live off Barrier, and that doesn’t last long. And if the armor generators go… GK is gonna have to go Joey Chestnut and eat more to balance out the damage he takes. The aim is to destroy me quickly. If you can’t do that I can beef everyone up to massive levels and grind out the win. Trophies are trophies :slight_smile:

Almost true, if actreal loses their BD, their backup is a fragile skeleton, then the possibly monstrous Green Slime.

Studs losing Druid is part of the plan, and there Sunweaver is the primary backup, but unlike actreal they won’t have lost their skull generator before hitting the possible bulk.

Goblin Rocket offers league more versatility over Wight, but Wight does have the advantage of killing Skeleton early on.

Bone Dragon will also put a halt to skull spam from freezing, so Keeper of Souls loses his primary effect, and every succesful kill on the enemy creates another measly Wight. Clogging the damage output, and giving Goblin Rocket more time to inflict random damage.

If Skeleton was in third place behind Green Slime, I’d think Actreality the superior build, but as it stands it could go either way really. A real nail-biter of a match I’d say.

Hey Shiratori, good luck killing Sacred Guardian, but you do realise he has a massive amount of health to start with and i can heal him with Celestasia and possibly with Mercy? With a bit of luck his life could be further boosted with 6, as 3 of my troops have Blessings :wink:

My counter-attack would be to kill Watcher first. I believe i should be able to kill him first as Sacred Guardian does more direct damage and i would be able to setup him up quicker, with the gem spammers (Mercy, Valkyrie, Celestasia).

After i kill him, we would both have one damage unit left. Terraxis vs Sacred Guardian. AoE vs direct.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not so sure Sacred Guardian can out damage Watcher. Every time one of my guys use their ability he gets stronger. Gorgotha alone should be keeping him active but when Soothsayer fires off, everyone gets buffed, Watcher then twice over. It wouldn’t take long to drive him out and then we could long hail grind it if we wished.

Vote for team WTF, you know you want too!

Team WTF!

A trend breaker.
Thinking out of the box.

They say dog is mans best friend. And Kerberos is one super dog! Don’t let mans best friend down, he wouldn’t let you down!

A vote for team WTF is a vote for your best friend. Vote now!

2 Likes

I feel pretty good about my team coming out on top in what will undoubtedly be a slobber knocker. No doubt there’s gonna be tons of skull matches on both sides, but I think mine will do more damage with Sunweaver boosting attack and it will definitely out-tank between Sunweaver, Life Drain on KoS & Wight, and Wight stealing 14 HP per shot.

Vote for team WTF! You know you love the underdog! To hell with the generic teams, vote for the little man!

Team WTF! Team WTF is the defender of the little man! It is a game you should have fun no matter what team you are playing! If it is not fun if is not a real game!

Vote for team WTF, we are the defenders of the little man. Vote for me!

Sorry but I already voted before I read this, and not saying which way I voted… Also, I’m voting (and suggest many people might want to do so) by assuming the stupid AI is playing both teams :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a beautiful and eloquently motivational pitch that adapts your core message of: ‘my team’s rubbish and I need all the help I can get’?

2 Likes

i keep reading this as team What The Fuck!

1 Like

I’m confused - is that not what it is?

2 Likes

Aw, come on… who DOESN’T wanna vote for a team made by a pony?

1 Like

That IS what it is. So, @killerman3333 you are right.

2 Likes

I have an official announcement regarding rewards!

Thanks to @Nimhain and the development team, for this Series and all future Series, the rewards are as follows;

• 1st: 8 Arcane Traitstones of their Color choice
  • 2nd: 5 Arcane Traitstones of their Color choice
  • 3rd: 3 Arcane Traitstones of their Color choice

Quick Note: Winners will only get 1 type of Traitstone, but that they can choice any Arcane (so for example 8x Arcane Swamp Traitstones)

3 Likes

April first was a while ago. This CAN’T be real. Not saying the devs affect generous but this seems WAY off base from what the perception of attaining stones is. Not complaining. If this is true, very excited to see this level of involvement.

1 Like