[Tech Issue] Unable to launch GoW since 4.3.5 update

I actually didn’t know about the Steam Server issue that happened on the same day! But I’ve double checked with the team and they said the update was well and truly uploaded to Steam/released outside of the times Steam was having their server issues, so it seems to be a coincidence and unrelated.

I changed your ticket to an incident to help me answer everyone with the same issue and track how many users are affected and if it’s only PC users etc. rather than your ticket being grouped with unrelated tech issues.

I’ll keep working with you on your ticket!

It is strange, that the update correlated and likely caused problems related to internet connections. Did the demands for file transmission change in the new version in some way?
Just in case, that this could be connected somehow; while my internet connection is stable, it is on the lowest end of broadband (1000kbit). Do you think, this could play a role somehow?

@Jerry_the_skunk is it possible to test the game on another connection? a different wifi connection or a phone hot spot?

If you’re using wifi can you connect with a LAN cable to see if that changes anything?
Then we’ll know if it’s a problem specifically with the wifi speed if you’re connect by wifi at the moment.

My internet is connected through cable already, so it’s no wireless issue. I don’t think, I’ll be able to run it through a different internet connection in the near future, and certainly not with this PC. I’m afraid, we’ll have to keep sticking to wild guesses.
I’m playing the game for almost four years now, and this has never happened before…

@Kafka, sadly, I still get the same screen after deinstalling and reinstalling the game. Is there anything else I can try?

Another few details, of which I do not know, if they might help:

I just tried to launch the game with no internet connection at all and got an error message (I think the one in the third screenshot above), so this further hints towards different issues. When connecting the internet again while at this error, I successfully clicked Retry and got back into my infinite loading loop.

Also the infinite loading sets in shortly AFTER the logo of the game shows up in the title screen. Might help to trace, which steps should take place at that moment.

This is really getting annoying. I have deinstalled and reinstalled and restarted and also cleaned the foldes that @DongoD mentioned, tried “repair game” on steam several times, reinstalled again… but nothing changes. I still get the 0101 error, the game is totally unimpressed by my efforts to fix it.

The last screen now looks slightly different, that is the only change (the one that comes after 10 clicks):

I’m having a similar experience. It gets as far as the title screen with the spinning circle of gems in the bottom right corner, and it just proceeds to spin for all eternity. I had been running Gems of War using SteamPlay on Ubuntu 18.04. It worked perfectly until the 4.3.5 update. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times. Rebooted the computer many times. Reset my internet connection many times. It just isn’t getting past that screen.

Update: I found an old computer where it works. So either there is some hidden file I didn’t catch on my main PC when deleting and reinstalling, or the PC is tied to the same corrupted steam server, or… no clue. I’ll just play on my old PC until this issue is resolved :wink:

In an attempt to narrow down possible causes a little further: Are you using the latest version of Steam? I’m preventing mine from updating since november. While I doubt, that this could influence the game, it might be worth checking.

A new week’s ahead. Got any new inspirations about possible causes of the issue already? This is all pretty concerning to me.

[Edit:] I just saw, that I included the wrong log file into my first support ticket. Sent you a mail with the one from the local files folder instead of the outdated one from the game folder through the ticket. I hope, this helps in some way.

I always keep Steam updated. I am running the Linux version of Steam with the Steam Play Proton beta thing that lets me run a lot of Windows games on my Ubuntu machine. Up until the 4.3.5 update, it was working great. As of this update, it no longer works. I know that it’s not just me, because on ProtonDB.com if you search Gems of War, it shows that recently at least 2 people have reported it as “Borked” with the same problem (stuck on initial loading screen). So I play only on mobile now.

Hi everyone, can anyone who is having this Error 0101 (or similar error with 0s and 1s), unable to download remote config, or infinite loading issues EVERY time you try to launch the game, please send us a support ticket so I can gather more detailed information from you (ie. a list of the troubleshooting steps you’ve tried and your location).

It appears there’s an issue in the connection between us and we want to try to work out where it is. Our game servers are up and running fine and you’re typing here in the forum so you obviously have A connection, just not to us!

Before sending the support ticket please try all the steps here, PLEASE do not skip any even if you think your internet connection is fine, it’s not necessarily YOUR end of the connection with the issue but the only way we can pin point where the issue is is to try all the things to rule them out. Sometimes a very slightly flakey connection can affect just one service, these troubleshooting steps should take care of any of those minor issues so we can rule them out:

If none of the steps in the article help solve the issue, please write to us here:
https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000013356

Thank you so much for taking the time to report the issue and for your patience while we’re looking into this.

1 Like

Copied your reply into thread about these bugs in the Steam game forum. I think, not everybody who is playing there does read in here, so it will propably reach a few more users that way.
I’m not sure, if I should send you another ticket too, but I guess, it won’t hurt to have all my infos in one place.

I got this same problem, infinite loading loop, have opened a ticket, but am getting no response from the ticket. None of the steps for trouble shooting work, I tried them all. OS is Windows 7 ultimate. Steam says it’s up to date, but also says an upgrade has been downloaded and is ready to install, but that’s been there forever, 4.3.5 broke something for sure, else why do all other games on Steam work fine?

Australian working hours definitely don’t fit well to european time zones.

My output_log mentions various times “WARNING: Shader Unsupported” as well as “DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.”
How about yours? I could imagine, one of these could be what we’re looking for here.

Hey, surprisingly the errors aren’t caused by any of those things.
Also just to clear one thing up, we didn’t deploy a fix to some players and not others, everyone on PC/mobile is on the same game version, the problem is different players are experiencing different issues which don’t have the same solution :frowning:

There’s basically 3 issues:

1. Some players can’t connect to the game servers (investigating - the game servers are up and running so this issue appears to be somewhere else along the connection between us) (infinite loading screens, Error 16 - an asset failed to download)

2. Some players can’t download a file required to launch the game - we are currently testing a fix for this with the players who wrote support tickets. (Error 0100, Unknown Error, Unable to download remote config.)

3. Players on old mobile devices with old versions of their operating system can’t launch the game (it crashes) - most likely due to outdated hardware/OS - investigating and troubleshooting this via support ticket with the affected players.

We are based in Australia as you know so our business hours might be different from your online hours - but this issue is top priority for us so we’ll reply to these tickets as soon as we can.

For players with the first 2 issues, please try these troubleshooting steps before contacting Support:

For players with the 3rd issue (game crashes on start up on mobile devices) please try these troubleshooting steps before contacting us:

Here is a direct link to the Technical Issue form to contact us:
https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000013356

2 Likes

I think, we can agree, that the problems are in some way related to the update, as they happened to all affected users once it was installed.
It doesn’t seem likely, that it has anything to do with the unit balancing changes, which leaves us with the new statistic features, the menu changes and the bug fixes. While none of these sound, like they do apply right at the title screen, it has to be (at least) one of these. Possibly the autofilling of the ticket function?

If things aren’t fixed at the beginning of next week, would you consider a partial rollback?

After a Proton update, I’m able to run Gems of War again. Yay!

1 Like