[Tech Issue] Asset Download failure froze battle loading

Platform, device version and operating system:
iPhone Pro Max or whatever the heck they call it, latest iOS

Screenshot

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:

When I got my new phone, I was in a hurry to play GoW and get some reqs met so I decided to skip the initial asset download. That was back in maybe February and everything went fine until last night. I was doing a daily Delve and whatever asset it was trying to load never loaded. I got stuck at the “loading” screen and “lost” the battle because I had to restart the game.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?

It only happened this once, which makes me suspicious maybe 4.8 regressed this issue. I’ve been playing for a month with no problems. I wasn’t in a hurry last night, so this encouraged me to finish downloading all the assets so it probably won’t happen again.

Steps to make it happen again

1. Have weird, shitty internet that craps out sometimes.
  2. Don’t download the assets on a new install.
  3. Play a few hundred matches to see if it happens.

I don’t know how your asset loader works, but if you have an option to make it time out after 10s of trying to download and use a placeholder image, that’d be a heck of a lot nicer.

Weird, it should start the battle even if the art doesn’t load iirc.

Have you tried connecting to wifi, opening the settings menu and selecting download all assets?

Yeah that voodoo ritual usually works, but it didn’t this time! I waited about a minute and gave up. It’s a daily delve so not the end of the world, but I was curious if something had changed because I feel like this problem got whipped last year.

Last step resort is reinstalling the game to force the missing file to download. It should be available for you.