Tattoos and the stories behind them

I thought it would be fun to have a place to share our tattoos and the stories behind them, which, full disclosure, is my favorite part about them!

I will get the ball rolling!

This is my one and only tattoo.

This is on my right pectoral and is a heart made out of an E and a 4. My first son was born at 20 weeks and did not survive. I am the 3rd generation of first born son with the same name, hence efh3, he was my E4. It is on the right side of my chest because he had severe heart defects. HIS heart was on the right side of his chest instead of the left, it was upside down, backwards and had only 2 of the 4 ventricles.
Ironically enough, he would have had a 95% chance of surviving those defects had he gone to term.

God took him home and made him perfect!

Love you E4!
:heart:

14 Likes

That’s a beautiful tattoo and meaning @efh313.

Here is my latest tattoo(s?) which are largely aesthetic apart from Fehu.

3 Likes

Your story made me literally :cry: @efh313

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story, @efh313
:hugs:

4 Likes

A really sad story behind your tatto @efh313. Thanks for sharing with us, respect man. In my opinion it is often the tattoos that has some stories behind that is the most beautiful ones.

3 Likes

It was a tough time, for sure, but the story doesn’t end there. :wink:

A few months later my wife and I decided to try again and we got pregnant. When we went for the sonogram the doc informed us she could hear the heartbeatS! We were blessed with twins the following year. A girl and a boy!

BUT… my daughter is 100% normal, my son… had structural heart defects. Different from E4, but still the chances of structural defects in a healthy fetus are somewhere in the 1 in 500,000 range. (Wish I had that luck with the lottery!)

My wife and I see a piece of E4 coming back to us with our second son, every day.

God is good.

6 Likes

Here are mine

This one is my wife’s name. She has a tattoo of my name too
This one is for my aunt Gena.when she died the whole family got this same tattoo (although mine needs to be recolored)

We got the dragonfly because of a story that was read at her funeral.

Here’s the story:

“In the bottom of an old pond lived some grubs who could not understand why none of their group ever came back after crawling up the lily stems to the top of the water. They promised each other that the next one who was called to make the upward climb would return and tell what had happened to him. Soon one of them felt an urgent impulse to seek the surface; he rested himself on the top of a lily pad and went through a glorious transformation which made him a dragonfly with beautiful wings. In vain he tried to keep his promise. Flying back and forth over the pond, he peered down at his friends below. Then he realized that even if they could see him they would not recognize such a radiant creature as one of their number.
The fact that we cannot see our friends or communicate with them after the transformation which we call death is no proof that they cease to exist.” –Walter Dudley Cavert, Remember Now

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing brudda. I like your tattoos and meanings behind them.

2 Likes

@Saltypatra You don’t need tattoos to make you more aestheticly pleasing! :wink: Those are beautiful though!

@Vangor Thank you for sharing brudda! :grin:

3 Likes