Streaming to illustrate console vs. PC/Mobile differences

Thanks Again for streaming, I hope the PC/Mobile crowd finds it informative. But the way: Extreme slider adjustments basically breaks the AIs decision making. If you do this type of thing again, small adjustments is all you need. Have a good holiday weekend!

1 Like

Thanks guys! The last battle (from about 40:00 on) shows how broken the AI gets when extreme settings are used. I’m going to try one more offline with just the guardians and see if I can make it do what I think it should…

I haven’t watched it yet but im sure you did a great job.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the videos Stan…
I really hope they fix those (un)lucky streaks before the unity version hits PC/Mobile, because this happens way to often (every few matches), and kills any strategy involved.

1 Like

I see that also there is console players that also disagrees with you like @Rickygervais @jainus that both is playing on the console version or has tested it. Is it not very strange that some console players has quite the opposite opinion than yourself, all that it tells me is that the CPU can’t REALLY be that bad then?

I doubt very much that they like this part of the AI.

The actual playing AI on console is much more fun then PC, as I’ve posted before myself as well.
It sometimes misses moves, goes for gems instead of skulls, is way more unpredictable when it will cast.

The bad cascades got ignored because you would just skip those fights.
You can’t anymore…

And honestly, it would be funny if it happened once or twice, like maybe in a month or longer.
Not every play session.

@Mad_Butch what took you so long with uploading the video? We are still waiting for your proof(s).

I uninstalled the game this morning after it happened 3 matches in a row, as I posted in the other thread.

Ah, if you does not have any videos or proof, Im long gone…

Yes, cause I’m obviously lying… /shrug

I don’t say you are lying, I say that you are exaggerating. I don’t think it is as bad as you say it is.

1. I watched Strat’s video. Everything looks fine, maybe a tiny more aggresive CPU.
  2. The way you talk is like adding more sugar to an already sweet cake.
  3. Funny that you have not uploaded a video yet, you had weeks to do it, before you
    uninstalled it. It is very easy to upload videos on consoles.

I’m sorry that I didn’t record a video for your proof database, when I was in the middle of rage quitting and uninstalling the game.

Believe me or don’t, it doesn’t really matter to me, as I’ve uninstalled the game now anyways.

Maybe you will see it with your own eyes soon enough.
I really hope you won’t, because that would mean it will be the end of the PC/Mobile version for me as well.

1 Like

Sorry to interject but, if @Mad_Butch feels the the console’s ai gets too many cascades then that is his opinion to have. That doesn’t make him right, and it doesn’t make him wrong but he is entitled to have his own opinion just as everyone else does on these forums. I don’t see the need to make people submit videos or proof whenever they say things that we do not agree with.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting these videos @Stan . I went through the third one first, since that was the more “normal case”, so I watched it to check out some of the reported cascade issues. The AI did seem to be a little smarter than on the PC, but not ridiculous, and the cascades seemed fair (balanced between player and AI). Not really seeing anything that causes me any concern. It’s different, and potentially less fun depending on the users personality, but it seems to be working well within the bounds of reasonableness for RnG and parity of RnG between sides, I’ll go through the first two videos later to check out how the AI customization works. Thanks again!

And @Macawi, you are right that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but some opinions are just plain wrong, and simply believing something doesn’t give it extra legitimacy (that’s what evidence does, which so far is entirely lacking). If you believe asking for proof and trying to have a fact-based discussion is bad, I’ll just submit that “my opinion” is it’s OK :wink:

1 Like

I do not think that asking for proof is necessarily bad, but of late I have seen these types of topics get heated and often times lead to arguments, something that has been happening more on these forums lately than it used to.
More times than not these “fact-based discussions” do not stay very civil for long.

2 Likes

Fair enough, but arguments aren’t always bad. That’s how we learn things, or help educate people who are reading. Getting personal and attacking people is a problem though, which is probably what you meant. But not sure if you’ve noticed, I also confined myself to this thread where we were discussing things based on facts and evidence. I haven’t posted in the other “One last attempt…” thread, since I’m not interested in a subjective faith-based chat. But here I will continue to civily ask for proof until it’s provided, and I will continue to believe the available evidence until something else is provided. What Stan posted has been great for improving my understanding of how things work on the console, and separating the fact from fiction about what actually is occurring over there. So in my opinion this has been a healthy and valuable conversation from most of the members participating.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. I’m also glad that Stan started this thread. Even tho i do not play on console I’m still interested in how my platform and the console’s differ or are alike in certain ways.

1 Like

I posted an additional video showing some AI manipulations that are a little more “real life” than what I did yesterday. Unfortunately, I forgot to adjust the audio before I started recording, so my voice is a little drowned out at times, but hopefully you can catch the gist of what I’m saying.

For the record, my purpose here is not to attempt to address the “luck” issue at all. I don’t think that any amount of streaming gameplay will be able to prove anything along those lines. In this case, my streams show what I think is pretty typical gameplay, though there are certainly times when something unusual will happen. It just didn’t happen while I was recording yesterday.

Maybe unintentional, but it does prove something, specifically that the AI doesn’t get the crazy cascades “every game” or “all the time”… :wink:

2 Likes

Just to put the record a little straighter, as @eika has mentioned my view a few times: I am aware of two main differences between play on consoles and play on iOS/PC.

1. AI decision-making: Console AI is much less predictable, both because of the bespoke controls (when they work) and also greater in-built stupidity. It can’t consistently be baited with skulls, but also misses 4s and mucks up 5s in ways that the iOS AI never would. This has pros and cons from a player perspective, but its annoying to watch.

2. RNG and cascades: Console RNG algorithm always seems far ‘spikier’ than the iOS version. There are more, and longer, cascades and games can thus be faster but also suddenly swing for or against you: the randomness of drops almost seems less random. This can affect both the players and the AI, but obviously we only remember when it’s the AI that benefits.

Having played both versions, I do prefer the iOS/PC version. If the devs were to bring iOS into line with Consoles (with the switch to Unity code, or otherwise) my views right now would be:

1. AI decision-making no thanks, very annoying to play against
  2. RNG and cascades don’t mind as much, personally, but know it will annoy many people

I do think (if devs are reading @Saltypatra) that the game would be more enjoyable on Consoles if the alignment went the other way and the Console versions played like the iOS one - I think that less rage would be induced and retention etc would be improved…

3 Likes