(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 1)

For those of us without the time or patience to watch the stream, what’s the new trait effect?

Submerge itself at the start of every turn

Well that’s pants.

Thanks

I don’t think you’ll ever see all enemies sharing a color, not even during GW.

You’d be amazed how many people set mono-color defense teams.

I meant more of using Undine on defense for Blue days.

But yeah, it happens very infrequently for Undine to be used on offense specifically for that.

More changes today…

3 Likes

I actually found Undine to be very useful, and made a fun blue team around him. I’d recommend giving him a go, he was pretty viable in my experience.

In the version shown on the stream, even if he is the only Merlantis troop on the team, he still does 30 AoE to start with (36 traited) and silences all blue. If the spell is changed to match what the description is, then yes, he’ll be a purely defensive troop but still strong enough that he’d probably be seen all the time on Guild Wars blue day. Bad traits is bad, yeah (post change this is at best a legendary level trait, and that is pushing it), but this iteration has Gard’s Avatar level of AoE and silences a whole color (27.8% of the troops in the game are blue and not silence immune, while not-silence immune daemons encompass <8% of the troop pool).

Both the version shown on stream and the preview version before are basically tailor made to counter the FT/Nyx/Mab setups, which are still very prevalent.

2 Likes

Well “giving him a try” is a luxury players that actually have to aquire a mythic troop with their ressources don’t really have. We’d rather be sure beforehand whether or not he is worth the cost to get him.

@Mithran, this is exactly what I was thinking. He’s a very effective Nyx counter.

@Gouki, this is why I have started previewing our mythics on stream, I want to give you a better idea of how they can be used before you go hunting.

4 Likes

I’ll give it a try, looks better than Gargantaur at least.

Nyx isn’t blue though, so outside of having Mana Shield, I’m not sure how its a Nyx counter?

Silenced troops can’t collect mana. So if all the blue troops are silenced then Nyx only drains mana, and all the blue she creates goes to waste (or to you)

5 Likes

In theory, that’s nice, but Bard Dawnbringer or Impervious troops would still collect the Blue. Kraken variant would still be able to function well also

Edit: I suppose the Submerge all Blue Allies would help against DB… Makes me wonder why Scylla can have Submerge all Allies but herself as part of her spell though.

YOU BEAT ME OZBALL. Why are you like this?!

3 Likes

Because I love Phoenix Wright and want to see more of these gifs you’ve collected! :smiley:

4 Likes

I chuckle to think that a Mythic would be made to counter the Nyx meta defence… firstly, unless it gets mana shield (does it?), high chance Nyx will be draining it and flooding the board with blue long before this anti-blue spell gets cast… secondly, this is the misguided SpiritFox approach again…

2 Likes

It does. Its the first mythic to get Mana Drain immunity. Not only will it bait Nyx due to its high mana cost, Nyx will do nothing when it casts on him. Dawnbringer and Mab can’t even hurt it. The first iteration also heavily profited off green, which forest troll spawned (no longer does, though), and the submerge and mass silence on blue is easy. Pretty clear what they were going for here. I’d say it is more of the misguided Stonehammer approach (Stonehammer coming in off the heels of the Bone Dragon/Courage/Wraith meta), but I think that in this case Undine has a good enough kit to actually matter if given the right support (Stonehammer, at the height of the BD/Courage/Wraith meta would have been shredded in at most two blobs, leaving an unstoppable wraith with 100+ life and 80+ attack in the wake).

I agree that it is silly to make mythic troops targeted at specific meta counters (especially when said setups don’t even use mythics themselves). However, it doesn’t look like a “bad” troop from where I’m sitting. As shown on stream, a setup-free 36 damage AoE (which, again, ignores submerge) and blue silence by itself is already really, really good, with the ability to get first casts in the 40-50s and second casts in the 60s with setup and being almost completely immune to AoEs (barring dispell and stun) on any turn where it doesn’t take skulls and mana drain immunity. The amount of troops it can shut down while still having that much offensive power is actually staggering. It still looks decent even if it gets ninja nerfed to match the description (though way more defensive), but then I’d wonder why it needed to get subbed in with the severely lackluster trait it currently has.

5 Likes

Maybe I’m not reading the spell correctly, does it really hit the entire opponent team? As far as I understood it at most two troops will get damaged?

That’s what I am reading as well.
“Deal [Magic +3] damage to an enemy, and the next enemy below, boosted by Merfolk and Submerged allies. Submerge Blue Allies. Silence Blue enemies. [6x]”