One nice part is that you can boost your own armor to make the spell better. If Tesla’s third trait was changed to “All allies gain 1 (or 2) armor on 4 or 5 gem matches”, it’d still fit within her theme and keep her relevant throughout the battle. It would also prevent her trait from being a cut-rate copy of Wulfgarok’s.
Not sure exactly how much of this is new, but the events menu image was updated in the 31/03 patch and I hadn’t noticed these icons before. So maybe we might see bonus keys and xp for using certain teams and VIP/Guild keys coming from Snotstones?
i hope it gets balanced down to 18 mana
but it still feels overall a bit off
how about additional effect to his spell:
if there is 13 or more red gems: enchant myself
he would not get extra turn or anything but would feel like those flames of the picture are actually enchanting him
well i hope its not too late now, too close to release but i had the idea only now
Crap load of disappointment.
Why no love for dwarves?
Why not just change the +Life to Explode X gems, so he’ll basically be a Gorgotha Upgrade!
OK, so it seems like the Burn and Stun is coming from the GIANT HAMMER, right?
So why not have the spell as follows:
Deal my Attack as dmg, burn, and stun 3 random enemies. Gain [Magic+1] Life.
Stonehammer is…disappointing. Certainly doesn’t have that “MYTHIC!” feel.
- Self-healing tank? Fine, nothing wrong with that. There is always the obvious issue of putting a 3-color unit at the top of your stack, but that’s inherent to any Mythic and more a strategic concern than anything else.
- AoE stun? Sure, fine I guess. It isn’t “sexy” but it’s potentially effective.
- …aaaaaand then we go downhill.
- For all practical purposes, his super special Mythic-exclusive trait is…Gorgotha’s Legendary trait. The difference between a “legendary” 75% and “mythic” 80% will never, ever have any impact. This just needs to flat-out be something else. You want a Mythic tank trait? “Reduce all damage by 50%”.
- Burn is fairly irrelevant given the HP pools that units - any units! - have now. This is exacerbated by weekly events, where chevron-d units are even less impacted than usual (in relative terms, at least). Being an AoE Burn doesn’t change that.
- If he’s going to Burn and Stun, then why doesn’t his kit play off of Burns or Stuns? His Burns won’t set anyone else up to leverage Pyromania since Stonehammer is clearly most effective at the top of the stack, which means he needs to be the one to take advantage of them…but he doesn’t. There’s vaguely synergy with Courage, but Courage certainly didn’t need any help. =/ Stuns may, potentially, help him deal skull damage if you’re fighting an enemy with skull-redux traits and they’re at the top of the enemy stack and his ability randomly selects them, but that’s a lot of "may"s and "if"s.
Overall, just a lot of…“eh”. And more than anything else, brand new Mythics shouldn’t be boring.
I agree that Stonehammer is disappointing relative to other mythic troops, but I am also wary of power creep at the highest levels of the game. If every mythic troop has to feel mythic, the bar is constantly being raised, and you run the risk of a new mythic dominating the meta game and driving a large wedge between those who can afford to chase it and those who can’t.
This precisely what overpowered Mythics do. I’m closing in on level 1200 and still don’t have Famine or Death, the two mythics I see continuously in PVP. In fact, I now see Famine in nearly ever match, much like Bone Dragon before.
As someone who wants to play dwarf teams end-game, this sucks He mana-blocks Lady Ironbeard and Keghammer too. What dwarves are left to make a team with that isn’t half-blocked?
Units can be fun purely on their own merits - Bombot is fun as hell and really effective in some niche roles; Giant Toadstool can lead to grand shenanigans; Dust Devil gives a really unconventional tool to defeat the enemy’s strategy; anyone who’s made a team of pirates has giggled and shouted “ARRRRR!”.
Regardless of how strong or effective a unit is or isn’t, the one and only cardinal sin in a game is being boring. For me, Stonehammer is…well…Knit Knots. Yes, I know that only makes sense if you’ve also been subjected to hours upon hours of Imagination Movers. Hush.
God, that beige made me cringe.
My son used to love that show when he was a toddler.
Still waiting on actual Mythic this month
I got tired of hoarding chests and decided to open some on my birthday a few days ago. Managed to pull Jotnar so that’s my mythic for the month
I completely agree with you on principle, and i don’t expect or even want every mythic to be on the level of Famine or even Gards Avatar for that matter.
But there is a huge gap between the outlier Famine and several other mostly useless base mythics like Jotnar Wulfgarok or Stonehammer. Those base mythics spells could be buffed(changed) significantly without even coming close to Famines level of power. There is definitely a sweetspot to be hit without contributing to the power creep and still make base mythics feel exciting or at least useful.
Ironically the coming dragon mythic looks to be both, exciting and strong enough without being too powerful, while also fitting greatly thematically and gameplaywise…you know because Dragons desperately needed just another great troop, as if they weren’t already the best designed, most versatile and most functioning single troop type in the game. Meanwhile lets completely mess up just another giant or dwarf, cause who really cares about them right?
I had another thought about our un-loved Stonehammer coming. Isn’t he the God of the Dwarves?
Why not have his buff affect rally the troops?
Burn and Stun 3 random enemies. Give one random ally 6 mana. If ally is a dwarf double the effect.
@yonizaf It suddenly popped into my mind that the Chupacabra of the Vale is entering the game!!! LOL!
I must be tired, because it is amusing me way too much.