Sparkgrinder, The Tesla Of Adana! (Team-building! Tips and Assistance Welcome!)

Nah, there’s a difference between balance and unappealing design. Making a single troop internally contradictory is not balance.

And, yes, the combo works, but it’s far from perfect. Sparky buffs Attack while Carnex consume skulls. A combo based on a troop not using his spell clearly has room to improve.

An example of a “perfect” combo is something like Hobgoblin+Goblin Shaman, or Green Seer+Treant, where they have no color overlap and one feeds the other.

2 Likes

Upvoted. I completely agree with you and disagree with @wskill for the reasons stated by @Studs. So Carnex has two sides:

1. Not use his skill and use him for the third trait he has, in which Sparky + Carnie work flawlessly. (Most people in the game still don’t have access to his third trait, so this would take a long time to achieve.)
    or
  2. Use his skill (Available to all players who possess Carnie), but in this case, Sparky’s buff won’t benefit him too much. In fact, I would use Carnie with one of the seldom available troops that apply Hunter’s mark to the enemy in which his skull explosion damage is amplified.
1 Like

Do you people realise the sparky carnex build isnt obligatory therefore isnt ‘supposed’ to be played a single way?

Carnex is probably great in low atk teams, stop acting like a card has to act static. That would make a terrible game.

I’m not sure I follow. We’re talking about the synergy between the two cards, why it falls short, and how it could be improved. The fact that you don’t have to use this combo doesn’t change any of this.

Wow, my topics keep generating so much discussion, and on accident even.

This is good though, we are getting many sides and a lot of input.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Carnex’s Spiked Armor Trait say ‘Add 25% of Armor to Skull Damage’? Obviously that would make him a fiend just when it came to punching folks and getting punched, but it says Skull Damage…well, his ability triggers Skull damage, right? As far as I know, when you explode a skull, it triggers for one damage…so shouldn’t his trait buff his ability too?

I’m sorry if I missed it, but seeing my team as it is now, who would you replace with who, and why?

Refresher: It’s currently Fortress Gate, Sparkgrinder, Deep Borer, and Steam Turret…and Steam Turret is the only one I currently want to change.

Like i said that synergy is coincedential, not a static. You cant say that because that synergy isnt optimal carnex needs to be changed so it is optimal. Nothing is supposed to be optimal. Metagaming ruins gaming, just let people figure out things that work somewhat, things that dont work dont work for a reason. If everything was a matter of perfect synergy everyone would play the same deck.

There are two parts to my argumetn:

1. Carnex is inherently contradictory.
  2. What at first glance seems like a great combo isn’t so great because of part 1.

The problem is that Carnex’s spell consumes skulls but his Legendary Trait makes him do more skull damage. Adding in a troop that’s really great at giving him even more skull damage just compounds this problem.

Certain types of troops have a combined troop/kingdom bonus. If you use mechanist class with the orb in last position then you cover all 6 colors plus overflow as well as gain a mana generator as well. Not sure if mechanist counts as a part of the kingdom though or if that needs to be fixed.

I vote 2 but with the added part "its good enough as it is and theres ways to still make it work for instance with carnex in 1 and a skull summoner in another such as mr skeletal or kos or something, noone forces you to use carnex his skill :stuck_out_tongue:
Its a good thing cards have multiple ways to be played, makes the game more game.