[Reported] Death mark remains after saved by barrier

Platform, device version and operating system: Android, Samsung Galaxy S22

Screenshot or image:

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
My troop was death marked and barriered. At the start of my turn, the barrier suddenly vanished, since the barrier protected from instant death. But the death mark remained!

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
It seems to happen every time a barrier protects against instant death by death mark. Since that’s one of the biggest threats in the epic trials this week, I expect it to happen several more times before I finish.

Steps to make it happen again
Get deathmarked, put up a barrier for protection, and wait impatiently.

Did the Troop also lose all armor when Death Mark attempted to trigger? That was pre-existing (and already reported) behavior.

Really, IMO there should only be two “proper” outcomes in this scenario:

• Death Mark ignores Barrier and kills the troop anyway (similar to other forms of Lethal Damage)
  • Death Mark consumes Barrier and is removed (similar to Devour)
1 Like

Hm, I think the troop had no armor already, but I’m not sure. I’ll look out for that the next time it happens. Regardless, death mark is bad enough without it getting an extra chance to kill one of your troops…

Hello :slight_smile:

Thank you for reporting this incident @CaptainBuckles

• Please provide your invite code! (This can be found in the Settings Menu, at the bottom-left corner in all CAPS)

In the meantime, just to clarify briefly about Barrier and Death Mark’s interactions.

Since Barrier does not block lethal damage and Death Mark causes an afflicted troop to have a 10% chance to die at the start of each turn. (Which would be lethal damage)

A troop who has been death marked, and has barrier casted on them afterwards would essentially be able to have both status effects applied to them.

Then, if Death Mark does ‘successfully activate’ (the 10% chance to die at the start of each turn) it would act as @Stratelier described in the first option.

• “Death mark ignores barrier and kills the troop anyway”

TLDR: Barrier doesn’t cleanse any negative status effects

Thanks for the response, @Bramble . My invite code is CAPTAINBUCKLES_448M. I tested it a bit more, and it is as @Stratelier says, the combination of barrier and death mark results in the troop losing all its armor and remaining alive but death marked. You say that the intended result is that the troop dies, but I have never seen or heard of this happening in this type of situation.

2 Likes

I also managed to make a gif of the above occurring, in case it helps:
ezgif.com-optimize

Hello again :slight_smile:

Thank you for the gif! It’s very helpful.

I’ll also update the report with the new details around armor and include ur gif too.

1 Like

Also, here’s a prior report of the same behavior: [Reported/Investigating] Rowanne Armor Loss Bug

This is actually an old bug dating back to (at least) May 2020. Currently (and historically) Death Mark does not kill through Barrier, so to change that could be considered a significant balance change, even if actual incidents are rather limited.

1 Like