POLL: How do you feel about the Valkyrie changes?

At 55 votes the consolidated standings were:
Neutral or Haven’t tried:…42%
Dislike or strongly dislike:…36%
Like or strongly like:… 22%

At 84 votes the consolidated standings were:
Neutral or Haven’t tried:…37% (-5%)
Dislike or strongly dislike:…39% (+3%)
Like or strongly like:… 24% (+2%)

At 113 votes the consolidated standings were (still):
Neutral or Haven’t tried:…37% (+0%)
Dislike or strongly dislike:…39% (+0%)
Like or strongly like:… 24% (+0%)

At 136 votes the consolidated standings were:
Neutral or Haven’t tried:…37% (+0%)
Dislike or strongly dislike:…40% (+1%)
Like or strongly like:… 23% (-1%)

At 169 votes the consolidated standings are:
Neutral or Haven’t tried:…36% (-1%)
Dislike or strongly dislike:…42% (+2%)
Like or strongly like:… 22% (-1%)

This will most likely be the last update as voting appears to have slow way down at this point. The trend remains virtually unchanged however with the Dislikes being the strongest voice followed by the Neutrals and trailing at the end with less than 1/4 of the votes, those who like the changes.

THIS! RIGHT! HERE!
You raise an important point that seems to be overlooked by many: The new distribution for Necromancy trait wasn’t aimed to please all level’s range of players, yet… We have Warlock for example that is a fairly okay troop for targetable damage that can be fed by Valkyrie’s spell. It’s not a great deal for us at higher levels but it certainly provides MORE to players that are just starting out.

So far a lot of points were made being based solely on “high horses” and as much as some would like to be “THE VOICE OF REASON” in this debate, on one side or the other of this, we (forum users) have little representativity when you take the subject on the global scale.
I think this is what @htismaqe mentioned before about his understanding of how things works, and people interpreted it wrongly as a “defeated posture”. But really, even if we don’t create nerf threads or something like that, changes will happen in the game. We can deal with it and argue, politely, about it.

Does anyone remember that Crimson Bat wasn’t supposed to gain 16 life with his spell, but after some feedback from us, in general, the devs decided to leave him this way?

Now the extra status for heroes, that was also a bug, is being studied as a future buff because it had some positive impact on our opinions as well.

So, at a certain extent we have some power to help the developers at conducting the game to o more desirable path, but we shouldn’t get bitter because the path they took is not always the best we would wish. Also, i’m not saying they will, always, make a perfect choice, but we haven’t saw the end of the path yet…

5 Likes
1 Like

Nit: Crimson Bat’s damage was nerfed (scaled with 1/2 Magic) and the damage was turned into life steal. The feedback from us caused the devs to revert him to doing unscaled damage and to change his life gain to a flat 16, after some comments from them about how the forum-goers’ usage of Bat differed from the community at large. The change the devs had in mind would have caused the Bat to gain significantly more Life per cast, at the cost of damage throughput; ultimately this change was incorporated in the Mythic Draakulis instead.

3 Likes

Thanks for finding it. I was having a hard time looking at older patch notes and discussions. :slight_smile:

What Sirrian said about the reasoning behind Valkyrie’s nerf was:

The quote about her “taking one for the team,” was about how she’s the most used troop in the game, by a very large margin. Good science says make a hypothesis, change one thing, evaluate the results, then repeat the whole process. This change is a first step in fixing that. Without changing something there is no way for the devs to positively identify why Valk is so overused. The forums are of limited use because those of us here are the vocal minority.

If it turns out that Valk was overused because she’s the blue transformer, these changes will have little effect. If Valk was overused because she was the best soul generator, these changes will have some effect (not a huge one, mostly due to the poor viability of many alternatives.)

I didn’t bother voting in the poll, because it doesn’t matter if I personally like the change or not; it does not change the fact that a change was needed, and the devs are making what they feel are the best changes based on the data available to them.

I don’t like the necromancy rework, because the trait’s relevance is even more dependent on the presence of a soul generator. I would have preferred if it had been changed to “Gain blah souls when an enemy dies.” This would have been useful on a much larger variety of teams, because it no longer needs a soul generator to be relevant.

1 Like

Oh, and for the record, here are the pre 2.1.5 and post 2.1.5 troop usage graphs

The vertical scale is a little messed up because Valkyrie went down in usage… the important thing is the proportion of Valkyrie against other troops is a lot more sane than before.

3 Likes

Nerfing her reduced her usage. Doesnt mean it was the right thing to do. Balancing the chart for the sake of it means nothing. There were still better options.

2 Likes

No, actually reducing the use of over-used troops is exactly the right thing to do… overused troops make the game stale, and stale games churn players at a faster rate.

5 Likes

Never said she didnt need to be changed. Could bring her usage down in a number of ways but it doesnt mean they are all correct

That seems like the appropriate amount of people that used Valkyrie just for souls. Now what’s left is a bigger portion of people that use her period. Thank you for posting the chart though @Sirrian. (seriously) It pretty much represents what we thought it would. Any plans to change her further? Or releasing more troops will help solve the issue even more?

I can’t tell how you’ll take this, but I know how I meant it. I just keep reading it over and over and I’ll admit it makes it sound like i’m being a smart ass. I promise i’m not. :laughing:

I just mean she is still the most used troop (currently according to charts) So i’m just wondering if there are any plans to continue to pull that down?

I think she’s currently still the most used troop because (a) still good soul gain regardless, and (b) we have a lot of powerful blue legendaries in the meta right now, so I’m pretty happy with that. I think as the meta slowly evolves for some more non-blue troops we’ll see a natural change in Valkyries use.

Short answer… absolutely no plan for any further changes to Valkyrie right now.

5 Likes

I knew it! It would bother someone. Also i still have no mythic troops after 2 years of playing, lol. Therefore i can’t has level 20 troops.:grin:

Now that i do not have to revolve my team around valkyrie for souls my main team is faster.
Burning bones is slower than S&M redux. [quote=“Robert, post:171, topic:14368”]
but you have to use garbage troops.
[/quote]

Not rely, now we have a reason to use anti-undead counter to fight the meta with, the 4 horseman meta![quote=“htismaqe, post:183, topic:14368”]
Before the 2.0 update, you HAD TO PLAY OTHER GAME MODES TO GET MAX SOULS.
[/quote]

One point to make is, pvp=gold,arena=souls, maps=glory. Can we agree this has not changed too much?[quote=“HKdirewolf, post:187, topic:14368”]
That’s what we get for using a troop so much.
[/quote]

They thought it was a balancing issue, i like what they did, now i want to see a graph showing valk use that spans 1 month after her change. [quote=“htismaqe, post:290, topic:14368”]
1000 souls for level 12 seems REALLY light.
[/quote]

8 games in arena max difficulty, boom 1000 souls.

Also 200 posts in less than 20 hours!

You forgot to mention that there are also some “reverberations” in the troop’s usage, while some troops like Queen Mab and C.Bat moved just one spot others had a more dramatic shift in their positions, like Mercy for example that went from 13th to 23th. And they are all sort of related to Valkyrie in some way or another.

Probably a good thing since it theorically brings more diversity to the meta.

Just out of curiosity: Is there a table with the numbers of all troops that were used in a given week?

There was a very long spell in this thread with nothing but rudeness and acrimony. I am glad it seems to have calmed down at this end.

@sirrian I think it’s far too early to judge any new graphs just yet… let’s see trends settle… the meaningful data will come from the thousands of players who are low to mid level, don’t show up swearing on this forum, and felt obliged to use valkyrie as the only available soul generator. I hope these changes gave them all more options and more fun.

2 Likes

Well as a mid level 300 player that shows up swearing on these forums, I can say they haven’t. YET.

Absolutely agree. I wasn’t trying to pin you all down by saying your total plans and holding you to your word. I just wanted to know what you honestly thought. I think once the meta switches away from blue troops, plus new troops come out, we’ll see a change. I don’t mind not using her at all, once we have better, perhaps just cooler troops.

I say give it a month, if another soul maker comes in and steals the show, so be it. It might either, show the problem as solved or it might reveal a bigger issue at large that the players and devs did not notice before. I like the way they altered Valkyrie, her new trait makes more sence than necromancy. Seriously valkyries were meant to ferry the dead to valhalla, they had nothing to do with necromancy thematically.

Anyone spotted the newcomer in the Top5 yet? TDS.
In before new cries for nerf! :wink: